Feicarsinn

Super Αdmin
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
http://www.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/story/233687.html

Newcastle Falcons are to become the latest club to install a 3G artificial playing surface, and the new surface at Kingston Park will be in place for the start of the new season in September.The RFU and Newcastle City Council have both approved the development which will enable the pitch to be used throughout the year by the local community as well as the rugby club.
"The new surface will undoubtedly produce a more free-flowing, entertaining style," said head coach Dean Richards. "There is also the potential for community use of the pitch on and around match days which will benefit the sport in our region."
Newcastle will be the second Premiership club to have such a pitch after Saracens.

Read more at http://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/story/233687.html#TGScU6BgMgKYooZK.99

Good stuff. I mean, it'll probably get them relegated seeing as it's harder to keep a game close on a good surface, but one of the constant criticisms of the Premiership is the standard of play during the winter months. More pitches like this should go some way to sorting that.

Good stuff. I mean, it'll probably get them relegated seeing as it's harder to keep a game close on a good surface, but one of the constant criticisms of the Premiership is the standard of play during the winter months. More pitches like this should go some way to sorting that.

I wouldn't be so sure - the problem with the Winter is how the weather effects the players directly, not the pitch.

If it's 2 degrees and the rain is coming in sideways then there are several things that detract from player performance aside from the pitch condition:

- Can't feel their hands
- Can't see very well (something that I feel is completely ignored by most people) - if it's bright and sunny then you can literally see the position of the other players better.

Too many other things to mention.

Not to say this won't help, because their pitch is a mudbath, but even on concrete you can't negate the effects of bad weather.

I wouldn't be so sure - the problem with the Winter is how the weather effects the players directly, not the pitch.

If it's 2 degrees and the rain is coming in sideways then there are several things that detract from player performance aside from the pitch condition:

- Can't feel their hands
- Can't see very well (something that I feel is completely ignored by most people) - if it's bright and sunny then you can literally see the position of the other players better.

Too many other things to mention.

Not to say this won't help, because their pitch is a mudbath, but even on concrete you can't negate the effects of bad weather.

Oh yeah, agreed, but I think quality of pitch has a major effect. Saracens aren't a great side to do a case study on because they're a top side, but I'd be interested in doing a points/tries scored comparison on Newcastle on their new pitch vs. old at some point.

If anyone needs one it's Newcastle, they've definitely the grimmest weather.

Why do you guys play in winter again? :p

Playing on turf definitely changes the game. only done it once or twice, and that was was in real winter, -10 and blowing snow. Probably the only positive thing was the pitch.

Well hopefully this will certainly aid us in an attempt to play a bit more entertaining rugby...however i think we'll be more direct and try to be more efficient this season.
We (like England) made a lot of opportunities in games last year...we just didnt have a clue how to take the points.

We've signed some big ol' boys in the pack and backs through the summer so hopefully we'll not leave those points on the pitch this season.

With the new signings and the new pitch to help improve games I hope we can stay up ;) I reckon we will be fairly safe this season.

Im quietly confident aswell. I think we've made some very shrewd signings and we have a group of immensley talented kids coming through aswell.

I reckon this will prove to be a disaster for Newcastle. Their main chance of picking up a few points was in the winter in bad conditions which are always a leveller.

Perhaps a decent ground to go with the pitch might help. Still it will be a decent championship standard!

The ground is coming on nicely thanks very much. The West stand is quality and develppment will bring the north and south stands up.

I think we'll be in the prem next season....

But thanks for popping in anyway....

Latest posts