Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
Newport.png
Versus%20Magners.png
Munster.png

Newport-Gwent Dragons v Munster, 19:05
Friday, 26 November 2010​

Munster: J Murphy; D Howlett capt, B Murphy, S Tuitupou, D Hurley; P Warwick, T O'Leary; D Ryan, M Sherry, J Hayes; B Holland, I Nagle; T O'Donnell, N Ronan, J Coughlan. Replacements: S Henry, W du Preez, P Borlase,B Hayes, P O'Mahony, C Murray, S Deasy, L Mafi.

Strong Munster team with some interesting selections. O'Leary's return from injury is the most notable change. Ryan and Hayes at prop ahead of du Preez and Borlase hints at McGahan rotating his props. Hopefully Ian Nagle and Mike Sherry continue to press their claims for future selection. I've a lot of time for O'Donnell; it's good to see him given a chance.

Munster: J Murphy; D Howlett capt, B Murphy, S Tuitupou, D Hurley; P Warwick, T O'Leary; D Ryan, M Sherry, J Hayes; B Holland, I Nagle; T O'Donnell, N Ronan, J Coughlan. Replacements: S Henry, W du Preez, P Borlase,B Hayes, P O'Mahony, C Murray, S Deasy, L Mafi.

Strong Munster team with some interesting selections. O'Leary's return from injury is the most notable change. Ryan and Hayes at prop ahead of du Preez and Borlase hints at McGahan rotating his props. Hopefully Ian Nagle and Mike Sherry continue to press their claims for future selection. I've a lot of time for O'Donnell; it's good to see him given a chance.

It's good to see Dave Ryan get a start, with Buckley to throw into the mix aswell it looks like we might have options at prop for the first time in years. Even if the best one is foriegn (du Preez). Hopefully Fave Ryan siezes the chance.

Same goes for the back row. It's nice to see some competition back. Especially with Coughlan in the form of his life. He was actually brilliant last week. O'Donnell and O'Mahony seem to be at war for a place too. Have hardley noticed the absence of Wally and Leamy.

Bet the backs will go to cack again with O'Leary. I swear to god, I'll give O'Learly amnesty for the first bad box kick but if he's up to that all night, I will flip.

Good team, like the young forwards....Come on the Munster!!

Snoop the reason for props been changed is Ryan has been going well in training and John Hayes hasn't a pile of minutes on the clock so they'll be used this week (remember The Bull missing next week)
Du Preez has a lot of rugby played and needs this break and Borlase still adjusting.
Barry Murphy keeps his spot ahead of Mafi based on form. I glad ROL back but I think it possible Murray will get time and well Sherry gets another fine bite at it but young Henry is a fine hooker too in making. Also I agree Coughlan is in superb form but think Niall Ronan deserves a mention too.

Also I agree Coughlan is in superb form but think Niall Ronan deserves a mention too.

Bah Humbug! People are always saying that that Ronan deserves a mention. Well he does, because he's great every third week, anonymous another week and whatever week is left he's alright but nothing to write home about.

He's doing grand but nothing worth any great praise. Coughlan was all over the place last Sunday, making runs and big tackles. Best performance from a Number 8 in Munster this season in my awesome opinion. (You better all be awed....BE AWED!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:)

Think that's harsh on Ronan. Firstly I agree Munster are blessed this year with Number 8. But while Ronan hasn't been as good as Coughland and I accept will never be an international level player he has been playing very well all season and rarely let's us down.

Dragons: Pat Leach; Adam Hughes, Tom Riley, Ashley Smith, Aled Brew; Jason Tovey, Wayne Evans; Phil Price, Tom Willis, Nigel Hall, Luke Charteris, Rob Sidoli , Lewis Evans, Gavin Thomas, Toby Faletau.

Replacements: Lloyd Burns, Ben Castle, Hugh Gustafson, Adam Jones, Hugo Ellis, Tom Cheeseman, Jonathan Evans, Matthew Jones.

About as strong a team as they could put out at the minute. Should be a match for an under-strength Munster team.

Think that's harsh on Ronan. Firstly I agree Munster are blessed this year with Number 8. But while Ronan hasn't been as good as Coughlan and I accept will never be an international level player he has been playing very well all season and rarely let's us down.

I agree, but I don't think people deserve praise for not letting us. Of course we're agrueing over nothing here.

The point is we had plenty of talent already in the Munster backrow and just when it looked like they were getting a bit old, here comes O'Donnell and O'Mahony.

Well if you look at it. When Quinny goes there is a que for the 6 jersey and Wallace will have a few who haven't even played ML yet pushing him soon too so all is great

A big game for O'leary as he has to make a good impression quickly as all other Munster scrum halves are playing very well. Great to see Caveman Dave Ryan play I think he is a really good prop and in this rare case Hayes is the correct choice at 3.

Munster have depht and real competition now at almost every spot and I think people can finally see what Tony originally aimed to do as his work finally is coming to show

I'm gonna blame Ronan for that first try. Should have just jumped on the loose ball instead of jumping at it and trowing it back to nobody. Daft decision.

Ref is good except for his penalising Munster for going off their feat 6 times and not penalising the Dragons for doing the same thing.

Tooitoopoo deserves that yellow. Pure stupid.

And it costs at least 7 points despite O'Leary's best efforts.

Last edited:
Munster couldn't score a try if they were three on one with a prop in a wheelchair.

Edit: On that point, they had an overlap of about 7 players in extra time in the 22 going for a bonus point and they somehow managed to ****** it up. Woefull.

No brains in the team. Missed having Micko or Donnocha or Leamy or even Quinny to calm everyone down.

Last edited:
Even with Du Preez and Borlase on Munster don't have a scrum.
It's far too early to say that Munster have bought poorly* but Borlase has struggled early in his Munster career. Perhaps he needs time to acclimatise in the AIL and for Munster A for a few months. In Tony Buckle and *shudder* John Hayes, Munster are decently covered at 3 without having to rush Borlase.

*Stan Wright was written off after a few poor performances early on for Leinster but turned out to be a brilliant signing.

A poor day for Munster but I think it was a poor first half performance by the ref. None the less Dragons played well and comtrolled most of the game. I think it was just a bad day at the office for Munster hopefully they can bounce back.

Overall pleased with the Dragons performance.
Their scrummaging was much better than the past few weeks, unfortunately the weather conditions killed the match.
I thought that the referee was a bit unpredictable, but all cards seemed fair.
Toby Faletau had a great game, I'm looking forward to seeing him feature for Wales.

Latest posts