• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Newport Gwent Dragons vs Ulster Rugby

F

feicarsinn

<div align='center'>
newportgwentdragonsco7.png
ulsterdh2.png
</div>

Both of these sides had disappointing seasons last year, underachieving in the league and making swift exits for the Heineken Cup. Unfortunately not much has changed for either side in terms of of personnel aside for Ulster bringing in new head coach Brian McLaughlin and Director of Rugby David Humphreys. Chris Henry looks set to take the captains armband in place of the injured Rory Best while Simon Daneilli, Ryan Caldwell and Paddy Wallace are all slight doubts for the men from the north.

Dragons have brought in Wales 05 Grand-Slammer Robert Sidoli from Bristol and former All-Black scrum half Danny Lee to bolster their squad. Having won both fixtures between the teams last year Dragons should go in as favourties, especially considering how difficult it is to win away in this league.

Ulster from:
N Brady, T Court, BJ Botha, B Young, E O'Donoghue, M McCullough, A Kyriacou, D Tuohy, R Diack, R Caldwell, C Henry, W Faloon, D Fitzpatrick, T Nagusa, D Cave, N O'Connor, S Danielli, I Whitten, A Trimble, P Marshall, B Cunningham, I Boss, I Humphreys, P Wallace, N Spence.

No sign yet of a Dragons squad.

C'Mon Ulster!!!!!!!!!!! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Ulster:

(1-8) Bryan Young, Andy Kyriacou, Brendon Botha, Dan Tuohy, Ryan Caldwell, Chris Henry ©, Willie Faloon, Robbie Diack.

(15-9) Bryn Cunningham, Timoci Nagusa, Andrew Trimble, Ian Whitten, Simon Danielli, Ian Humphreys, Isaac Boss.

(16-22) Nigel Brady, Declan Fitzpatrick, Ed O’Donoghue, Thomas Anderson, Paul Marshall, Paddy Wallace, Darren Cave.

I'm actually rather pleased at mr New Coachman's selection. The front row is solid but nothing special. Dan Tuohy was apparantly very good in th pre-season so it's a quite strong second row. Backrow is Strong.

Half-Backs are decent Boss impressed me during the summer and Ian Humphries can do damage so long as his openside does all his defending for him.

Back 3 is al'right and Andree Trimble is finally being allowed play at centre where he belongs so hopefully he'll do the damage he did all those years ago before he was moved to the wing for Ireland.

When are they gonna replace Bryn Cunningham?

You say the back row is strong.
One question....
Who are any of those players?

Newport Gwent Dragons Squad

15 Jason Tovey, 14 Aled Brew, 13 Tom Riley, 12 Ashley Smith, 11 Richard Fussell, 10 James Arlidge, 9 Wayne Evans

1 Ali McKenzie, 2 Tom Willis, 3 Nigel Hall, 4 Adam Jones, 5 Luke Charteris, 6 Dan Lydiate, 7 Gavin Thomas, 8 Joe Bearman

Replacements

16 Hugh Gustafson, 17 Steve Jones, 18 Gethin Robinson, 19 Rob Sidoli, 20 Grant Webb, 21 Martyn Thomas, 22 Alex Walker

That's pretty much their strongest team, I'd say. Hope Tovey puts in another big perfomance. He's going to be fantastic.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Sep 4 2009, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Back 3 is al'right and Andree Trimble is finally being allowed play at centre where he belongs so hopefully he'll do the damage he did all those years ago before he was moved to the wing for Ireland.[/b]

I have to disagree, Trimble just doesn't have the passing skills to play in the centre, and unless he has spent his long injury layoff practising I'd have him on the wing and Cave in the centre, Nagusa can sit on the bench.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Sep 4 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
One question....
Who are any of those players?[/b]
Ha!

I wouldn't say the Ulster backrow is strong but all three have the potential to be very good players.

Henry can also play 8 and toured with Ireland over the summer. He's been literally on fire (I had to include a Jamie Redknappism) in preseason. Not the biggest player but puts himself about.

Faloon was tearing it up for Ballynahinch in the AIL last year and has been given his first pro contract. Think he's about 22. Don't know much about him but he's very highly rated in Norn Iron.

Diack is their South African import at 8. He's f'n massive and started last season very well but fell off the pace late last season due to a nagging injury.

All three are in their early to mid-20s and combined with David Pollock and Stephen Ferris can drive Ulster forward in the backrow. I think it'll be a couple of years before they collctively peak though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Sep 4 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Sep 4 2009, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back 3 is al'right and Andree Trimble is finally being allowed play at centre where he belongs so hopefully he'll do the damage he did all those years ago before he was moved to the wing for Ireland.[/b]

I have to disagree, Trimble just doesn't have the passing skills to play in the centre, and unless he has spent his long injury layoff practising I'd have him on the wing and Cave in the centre, Nagusa can sit on the bench.

[/b][/quote]

I can't remember what year it was...2005 In think, he was in cracking form in the centre for Ireland when Darcy picked up an injury, and then he came back and Bod got one. He played brillantly in centre and then when Darc and Bod came back he was playing so well they stuck him on the wing and he's been stuck there where he doesn't belong.

He doesn't a have an amazing pass but he's not bad at it. What he did do well was crack the line and offload, quite like Jamie Roberts actually. I think he'll do a god job at centre.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Sep 4 2009, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Sep 4 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One question....
Who are any of those players?[/b]
Ha!

I wouldn't say the Ulster backrow is strong but all three have the potential to be very good players.

Henry can also play 8 and toured with Ireland over the summer. He's been literally on fire (I had to include a Jamie Redknappism) in preseason. Not the biggest player but puts himself about.

Faloon was tearing it up for Ballynahinch in the AIL last year and has been given his first pro contract. Think he's about 22. Don't know much about him but he's very highly rated in Norn Iron.

Diack is their South African import at 8. He's f'n massive and started last season very well but fell off the pace late last season due to a nagging injury.

All three are in their early to mid-20s and combined with David Pollock and Stephen Ferris can drive Ulster forward in the backrow. I think it'll be a couple of years before they collctively peak though.
[/b][/quote]
Yeah you're right but he doesn't seem too concerned about it
med_gallery_5897_117_29272.jpg

Dragons 23 - Ulster 6

I noticed all the Irish fans have decided to go home and kill themselves but if Connaught go and win their game then this weekend will go down as an absolute nightmare weekend for the major powers of Irish Rugby!

Absolute shocker of a game though, about a billion mistakes but Dragons' 7 has been absolutely immense, coming into the ruck legally every time and just obliterating any Ulstermen in his path on his quest to reclaim ball so thats pretty good I guess.

Watching via the red button and am stuck with either FANSCENE with a Welshman, an Irishman and a..another Welshman? I think? Absolutely godawful but hilarious none the less...

EDIT: Because Dragons get the bonus point...thats them at the top of the table?!

Dragons defence was fantastic, and their attack wasn't bad, either. Charteris was horrible, though. He ruined two tries and made a fair few mistakes besides them.

Still, good result for the Dragons (Always nice to see the small teams win).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Sep 6 2009, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Dragons 23 - Ulster 6

I noticed all the Irish fans have decided to go home and kill themselves but if Connaught go and win their game then this weekend will go down as an absolute nightmare weekend for the major powers of Irish Rugby!

Absolute shocker of a game though, about a billion mistakes but Dragons' 7 has been absolutely immense, coming into the ruck legally every time and just obliterating any Ulstermen in his path on his quest to reclaim ball so thats pretty good I guess.

Watching via the red button and am stuck with either FANSCENE with a Welshman, an Irishman and a..another Welshman? I think? Absolutely godawful but hilarious none the less...

EDIT: Because Dragons get the bonus point...thats them at the top of the table?![/b]
Eh connacht already lost I'm afraid. Anyway didn't see the game was watching the hurling(unbelievable game today if you get the chance to see a rerun I fully recommend) but it sounds like an awful day for Ulster. This wasn't exactlty how I imagined us starting the defence of the perfect season.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Sep 6 2009, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Sep 6 2009, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dragons 23 - Ulster 6

EDIT: Because Dragons get the bonus point...thats them at the top of the table?![/b]
Eh connacht already lost I'm afraid. Anyway didn't see the game was watching the hurling(unbelievable game today if you get the chance to see a rerun I fully recommend) but it sounds like an awful day for Ulster. This wasn't exactlty how I imagined us starting the defence of the perfect season.
[/b][/quote]

Nah, all the Irish fans were watching the all Ireland, and I'm not a GAA fan but it was 'AMAZING!!!'. Yeah, I think that the whole giving the lions a rest was all well and good but after this weekend I'm sure the IRFU will regret that they won't be fully back for another 2 weeks. But shur, what can you do.

At least, on an upside, besides the Munster match, everything I watched this weekend was really entertaining sport.

The Hurling was indeed awesome, at that level no sport comes close in terms of entertainment IMO, or skill levels. Just Incredible, shame Tipp didn't win.

Nightmare weekend as for as the rugby is concerned, but you can't read too much into it because of all the players missing. I'm sure when all the players are back normal service will be resumed :p

I reckon we suffer because were so good. It means the Lions had to take all of our players ;)

Then you've all got two options. Either be rubbish, or demand the coaches to do what the Welsh sides did and drip feed the Lions back starting from the first game. (Phillips starting, Hook on the bench, plus Ryan Jones present for the Ospreys, Halfpenny back for the Blues, and -umm- Stephen Jones unveiled the new Grav statue at Parc y Scarlets before the game.)

I'm personally hopnig for the former.

Just saw the highlights on the BBC, and I gotta say the Dragons scored a couple of great inventive tries out there. I mean the first 2 were made by some great running lines from Fussell and Riley. Passing looked sublime, Tovey looked like he had a decent game from what I can gather. Did anyone see the full match, if so, how did he do?

I can't wait to get back to uni, to actually get a decent ammount of rugby on the telly =/

Latest posts