• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

News and reviews

i appreciate the optimism but the best thing for this franchise is to give it to someone else

HB have delivered a 2k4 version in 2014. every 10yrs a rugby gaming cycle turns up a pumpkin

Its a disgrace on 2 fronts -

1. the evolution of gaming is lost. We get 3 developers making rugby games last 5-7yrs and none of them leverage their ideas. Intead they rip eachother apart with licence battles and this rips apart the audience and the product.

2. They cant make a better game on new technology. Its 2 steps forwards then 3 steps backwards.

They better deliver in the RWC year. But IMO that Rugby League franchise looks like our best option at this stage.

i appreciate the optimism but the best thing for this franchise is to give it to someone else

HB have delivered a 2k4 version in 2014. every 10yrs a rugby gaming cycle turns up a pumpkin

Its a disgrace on 2 fronts -

1. the evolution of gaming is lost. We get 3 developers making rugby games last 5-7yrs and none of them leverage their ideas. Intead they rip eachother apart with licence battles and this rips apart the audience and the product.

2. They cant make a better game on new technology. Its 2 steps forwards then 3 steps backwards.

They better deliver in the RWC year. But IMO that Rugby League franchise looks like our best option at this stage.

Sounds completely right to me. I just don't have the money to waste to buy..... a rugby game? Seriously? I'd buy just about any console game with rugby on it. This though, it's just pushed it too far and backwards as you say AK is what it sounds like to me.

As an aside, my objection with Lionmaul isn't that he's rubbishing this game. Far from it. It's that he mostly seems to compare it to Rugby Challenge. The game should be judged on it's own merits, or lack there-of, and rugby itself.

As for Rugby Challenge. That game was a lot of good graphics, options, licenses and potential. Unfortunately it was also buggy, displayed limited rugby structure at best, required hundreds of changes and setting alterations to make it.... okay on it's best day. The breakdown method was poor and most players couldn't figure out any reliable method of consistently winning ball without pulling in players that shouldn't be there. The off-side line was a joke and there were many other flaws. Hardly a good game itself or an example to point to.

There hasn't been a decent rugby game for it's time since Rugby '08 and even then back in '07 that was just considered alright. Nothing has improved. Developers haven't learned from one another. More importantly, developers haven't dealt with long established and critical members of their audience. They test with people who seemingly aren't direct enough with them and don't have any good ideas to suggest back. Their vision holders are presumably rigid and hold to their ideas in the face of poor workability.

They ironically don't trust people in their audience to be a part of their team and help them make rugby better. Big Ant is the only developer in these kind of sports who listens to their fans properly.

Very interesting to read all these impressions of the game. I made my mind up some time ago that I wouldn't pick it up on launch - no game company deserves the reward of early adopters when it's clearly made so little effort. I had a go with a friend's copy hoping I would be proved wrong but sadly seems like there really are no redeeming qualities to this game whatsoever. Might still pick this up on PS4 if I spot it at a bargain price somewhere - we'll see I guess.

In my eyes RC2 is still top of the pile, followed closely by Rugby 08. Not perfect but at least it was heading in the right direction. This is a huge step backwards for rugby gaming and a catastrophic misfire by HB Studios. What a shame :(

So I started playing with an Xbox controller last night. Spent about two hours on the game altogether.

Sad to say, but this is the worst rugby game I have ever played. How they thought it would be smart to release this game with so many glaring errors is beyond me. What's the point in being able to control which player you pass to if every player will just cut in field when the pass is heading towards them?

I really am incredibly disappointed.

There's no way of passing specifically to the 10, and in side on view there's no way of knowing who the 10 is because all of the players look the same.
Even on the "kick" attacking option, if you pass to any of the guys near you (even in the pocket) they're all forwards =/

Jonah Lomu Rugby (PS1) and EA Rugby series are still the best union games. Like all union games it's always the issue of licensing and teams is it really that hard. Rugby 15 gets like a 4/10, seriously they should get the developers of rugby league games and tell them to develop rugby union, because so far league > union games in every aspect.

I'd be totally happy with a Rugby 08 HD Remake with updated squads and perhaps some tweaks to the rucks. It's not too much to ask, surely.

I'd be totally happy with a Rugby 08 HD Remake with updated squads and perhaps some tweaks to the rucks. It's not too much to ask, surely.

100% agree. I recently loaded up my Rugby 08, applied the TRF Rugby 10 patch and wasn't disappointed. As discussed the game lacks the look of RC/ RC2 but gameplay wise it's the best there is. I suggest we post a copy to Big Ant (in light of what they've done with Don Bradman Cricket/ Rugby League Live 2).

Sorry guys, but given the low result of the product 15 rugby would not be better to devote himself to do some patch for EA Rugby 08, currently still the best plays rugby existing hello and sorry my english : P

I managed to play the game at the weekend after a mate hired it. What can i say. How could they ever consider releasing something like that and expect to get any positive feedback? The lack of content for a start is appalling not to mention the poor graphics and no replays or cut scenes.

The gameplay was being talked up before the release, but im sorry, its so rubbish it feels and looks nothing like how a rugby game is played. The new passing mechanic is a massive fail, it just doesnt feel right at all not to mention passing to players already in touch. I wont even start on the rucks. Not being able to see where you are kicking to, hardly able to see where on the feild you are or which players you have outside you, man this game is so bad.

The only thing i kinda liked was the placekicking mechanic using the analouge stick.

I feel so sorry for anyone who was fooled into buying this, i would not even waste $5 hiring this game.

Montauban vs pau

At the request of KiroxGaming, here is a game between two teams of PRO D2. Montauban against Pau. I play with Montauban in normal mode.
I made a lot of changes in the database to make the AI harder.
Notament at the rucks, thus I lose the ball more frequently. These changes are not completed but seem promising.
To be continued ...

A la demande de KiroxGaming, voici un match entre deux équipes de PRO D2. Montauban contre Pau. Je joue avec Montauban en mode normal.
J'ai effectué beaucoup de changements dans la database afin de rendre l'IA plus dure. Notament au niveau des rucks, de ce fait je perds plus souvent le
ballon. Ces modifications ne sont pas terminées mais semblent prometteuses. Affaire à suivre...

[video=youtube_share;dCzUJAwyDY4]http://youtu.be/dCzUJAwyDY4[/video]

At the request of KiroxGaming, here is a game between two teams of PRO D2. Montauban against Pau. I play with Montauban in normal mode.
I made a lot of changes in the database to make the AI harder.
Notament at the rucks, thus I lose the ball more frequently. These changes are not completed but seem promising.
To be continued ...

A la demande de KiroxGaming, voici un match entre deux équipes de PRO D2. Montauban contre Pau. Je joue avec Montauban en mode normal.
J'ai effectué beaucoup de changements dans la database afin de rendre l'IA plus dure. Notament au niveau des rucks, de ce fait je perds plus souvent le
ballon. Ces modifications ne sont pas terminées mais semblent prometteuses. Affaire à suivre...

[video=youtube_share;dCzUJAwyDY4]http://youtu.be/dCzUJAwyDY4[/video]

I am basing this on the first 7-8 minutes of play watched. Thank you for sharing and no disrespect. But even though it seems there is some increase in ball retention, it still seems like ping pong rugby to me, and rarely beyond 2 phases of play. Some people may not like that I will compare it to RC2 but , these are the game I am playing currently(RC2)and (Rugby15) both on (steam) . I think many people would be amazed to how well a modified RC2 plays(Since we are talking about a modified Rugby15). Ball retention and quick ball, is just about perfect. I would really like to post a video of this so I don't have to be repeating myself, what is the best way to do this?
Good on you(Rugby French) to try to improve the game though, sometimes with some small adjustments you can improve a game considerably.

Cheers and Salud

Last edited:
Match PRO D2 between Tarbes & Pau at the request of Thib CAL.

Match de PRO D2 entre TARBES & PAU à la demande de Thib CAL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anybody still playing this games or is it that pants?
Still a month to go till the uk release so I'm still waiting.

Is anybody still playing this games or is it that pants?
Still a month to go till the uk release so I'm still waiting.

I wouldn't bother, I can't go back because there is no replay value to be honest.

Just preordered this for NA release. Really hoping since I haven't played any games other than RWC 2011 that this won't be a disappointment.

Latest posts