• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Next Ireland Coach?

Who do you think will be the next Ireland coach?

• Total voters

big ginger 8

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Might as well get it over with. Put down all the main ones I've heard bandied about.

My preference would be Schmidt or O'Shea but both are probably unlikely.

Wouldn't mind McKenzie too much. Think McLaughlin is a (very) leftfield shout.

Let me know if I forgot anyone.

Z

Look at that blue steel, a confident man. His wise cracking japes are sure to intimidate opposition. Extreme pessimism will inspire the team to greater heights. Years of experience on the hugely respected RTE panel, famed for there accurate rugby coverage. Working alongside the likes of Ryle the Guile Nugent

I'd like to see one of O'Shea or Schmidt but both of them seem to not want the job so I went with Mckenzie

I wouldn't mind Schmidt or McKenzie. O'Shea has said he doesn't want it so forget about him. Schmidt is being quiet so hes thinking about it and I'm sure they have gotten or will get in touch with McKenzie. Whether he wants it or not depends on him being offered the Aussie job.

Mike Ruddock in with any chance?

He did well with Wales and would have a point to prove after an unfortunate ending there and as U20 coach could put him ahead of other possibilities with his contacts. Only thing is that his reputation gained with Wales and the Dragons where he did well with both was damaged by his awful spell at Worcester where he had the most boring rugby and got relegated. Although Lancaster coached a team to a massive relegation and look where he is now.

Have heard Kiss has the gig on a permanent basis IF he can get some details sorted. Also the IRFU aren't exactly in profit so and names like O'Shea are very unlikely as hhe'd want his own preference of coaches etc and IRFU won't be able to buy out his contract never mind go after any coaches he might prefer.
Only options I'd like to see considered that'd be realistic are Schmidt or McKenzie. Mallet would be a step backwards in my eyes

Have heard Kiss has the gig on a permanent basis IF he can get some details sorted. Also the IRFU aren't exactly in profit so and names like O'Shea are very unlikely as hhe'd want his own preference of coaches etc and IRFU won't be able to buy out his contract never mind go after any coaches he might prefer.
Only options I'd like to see considered that'd be realistic are Schmidt or McKenzie. Mallet would be a step backwards in my eyes

If Kiss can prove he can do the job and not just in the USA I wouldn't mind but there needs to be a change in direction and other members of the backroom staff.

Would try and go for Schmit if i were the IRFU. I think he'd be the ideal one to go for, because i think Ireland need a new dimention and more clinical edge to their attack, which schmit has given leinster, could do the same with Ireland. But not sure if he'll want the job.
Not sure about Nick Mallet.
Don't think it would be an attractive option for McCall or O'Shea at this moment in time. With them both doing well, and building on successful things at Saracens and Harlequins respectivly.
Dont think Jake White would want the job, for the same reason.
Euan MacKenzie is a possiblity, leaving reds at the end of the super 15 season. but not sure how he'd adapt to northern hemisphere style, its different to the way Australians play and think their rugby.
My choice would be to get Joe Schmit if they can

Schmidt is the ideal coach out of the remaining options, but does he actually want the job?

Mike Ruddock in with any chance?

He did well with Wales and would have a point to prove after an unfortunate ending there and as U20 coach could put him ahead of other possibilities with his contacts. Only thing is that his reputation gained with Wales and the Dragons where he did well with both was damaged by his awful spell at Worcester where he had the most boring rugby and got relegated. Although Lancaster coached a team to a massive relegation and look where he is now.

Knew I forgot someone would he ok but not a fan of the style he uses with the u20s.

Would try and go for Schmit if i were the IRFU. I think he'd be the ideal one to go for, because i think Ireland need a new dimention and more clinical edge to their attack, which schmit has given leinster, could do the same with Ireland. But not sure if he'll want the job.
Not sure about Nick Mallet.
Don't think it would be an attractive option for McCall or O'Shea at this moment in time. With them both doing well, and building on successful things at Saracens and Harlequins respectivly.
Dont think Jake White would want the job, for the same reason.
Euan MacKenzie is a possiblity, leaving reds at the end of the super 15 season. but not sure how he'd adapt to northern hemisphere style, its different to the way Australians play and think their rugby.
My choice would be to get Joe Schmit if they can

He had a spell with Stade Français and turned Fabien Galthié's side of Top 14 winners and almost permanent fixture at least in the Top 14 playoffs into a one dimensional, drop goal obsessed who could barely string any phases together and was soon sacked and it was under his reign that Stade's downturn really begun. He has done really well at the Reds though who were a joke before he took over.

He had a spell with Stade Français and turned Fabien Galthié's side of Top 14 winners and almost permanent fixture at least in the Top 14 playoffs into a one dimensional, drop goal obsessed who could barely string any phases together and was soon sacked and it was under his reign that Stade's downturn really begun. He has done really well at the Reds though who were a joke before he took over.
They were 2011s Bulls or Stormers, just one of those things.

you know I wouldn't mind O'Sullivan as an interm coach just to get us back to winning ways

you know I wouldn't mind O'Sullivan as an interm coach just to get us back to winning ways

Well... while you can't un-lock a door... well... 'suppose you can unlock a door if you have a key... but, well, you can't un-lose a key, our preparedness and preparation would be much better...

Schmidt
O'Shea
McKenzie
Cotter
Ruddock
Galthie

One of those please.

Michael Bradley :p

But I think:
McKenzie may see it as he isn't getting Aus gig and wants shot at international rugby. Also he comes cheap.
Schmidt is in system and knows how to operate but I wonder is his coaching best suited to club level working daily with players.

Latest posts