• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Next springbok coach

JohnKA

Bench Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Sharks
After being the worst bok coach in the history of our proud rugby nation he who will not be named cab surely not get another 4 years , so who will be the next man to manage the boks , will it be a eddie jones who has shown that brains is a lot better than brawns or a certain johan ackerman that has made the lions roar once again ?

After being the worst bok coach in the history of our proud rugby nation he who will not be named cab surely not get another 4 years , so who will be the next man to manage the boks , will it be a eddie jones who has shown that brains is a lot better than brawns or a certain johan ackerman that has made the lions roar once again ?

Can you tell me what he has done wrong? Has he not selected the best players available? Were the SA Super Rugby teams particularly good this year? I mean, this isn't football where the coach has decided you'll be playing 4-4-2 today, and it doesn't suite your team, or your make up.

I just feel like Japan played, like, pretty much, a perfect game... I mean, how many handling errors did they have? They lost what, 1 line-out? They didn't lose a single scrum. Their game plan was perfect, and they just happened to execute at near perfection for their team physicality and ability. On top of this, South Africa were arrogant in their approach.. They clearly didn't think much of Japan, they were kicking for touch on penalties consistently.

I mean, I just, from what I've heard... The South African public are extremely hard to please right now. Pollard has a bad game, the public completely throws him under the bus, calling for Lambie or whoever. You had Lambie last night, and Pollard looked better in his link-up with Kriel and the rest of the back-line, when he finally come on. Pollard is only 20, and your public seem to act like he's been around for years... He is going to be a fantastic player, I watched him in the U20s WC. Infact, even if your team doesn't do it this year, I actually think this loss will galvanize them, and make them extremely dangerous. But I believe that South Africa have fantastic players for the future, Etzebeth(24 next month), de Jager(23 this year), Pollard(21), de Allende(24 this year), Lambie(25 this year), le Roux(He's only 26), and Kriel(21). Promising players, and it's not like your U20s team has been doing bad, so no doubt youth will come through in your forwards soon too.

Picking jean de villiers a centre that is past his due and does not pass , yes Japan played very good but if we played properly we could have ran in some tries and they would have been done for , why was schalk burger in the backline playing flyhalf or atleast trying to , picking ruan pienaar ? There is better scrumhalfs in SA , we try to dominate everyone up front ... why ? ... we have the backline players to destroy teams ... point is this is all thing our coach has choosen because he is afraid of doing anything else he has to choose form players not old age home shopping .yes experince is important but we have that without jean de villiers and matfield ... so for us to become a proper team again we need a new coach with up to date ideas to change the way we play , the other teams also have big packs... and as we saw you dont even need a big pack they only need to work for each other and want to play for their country

Ugh!

We lose one game and all of a sudden the naysayers jumps on the bandwagon.

Come on! stop this crap!

Actually the naysayers have been saying 'nay' for a while now. Only now we are justified (as if we weren't post Durban).

Win the cup ?!?! We can't even beat Japan ?!?!?! NZ will destroy us that is if we make the QF

Ugh!

We lose one game and all of a sudden the naysayers jumps on the bandwagon.

Come on! stop this crap!

I fully agree.

Though HM has made some poor decisions but lets not forget, he's had his hands tied for the last 2-3 months with selection policy. In saying that, I do think the poor decisions have stemmed from his Half back choices, but again through policy he hasn't been able to take Reinach or more so Faf De Klerk (whom i think should have been given a go 2nd-3rd RC game).

If your already bloody thinking of new coaches, Ackerman does what he does because he has his team every week and is able to install 'Lions Mentality' another great example of this is 'Exeter', International coaching is a different ball game, you don't get as long with the players and you have to implement a game plan similar to what they play for their clubs otherwise you won't get the best out of them (why they have been selected, Special players like Faf and Le Roux are usually the exception and will get told just to play their game..).

If your going to count this Bokkies team out of the knock-outs already then more fool you, they will come back stronger i'm pretty sure of that..

Last edited:
Heyneke 'The Apologizer' Meyer

Also Heineken, this isn't a recent thing. A lot of us have been 'patient' with Heyneke for a long time now. We can't judge a coach by his world cup efforts alone (and that's not even going that great so far) even if we win the world cup, then what have we achieved in the last 4 years? Only a world cup?

You could argue he is bleeding a lot of younger players but then why are the older players then STILL playing? Somebody like Reinach, Hougaard or Faf should have gotten a lot more gametime. Why stick with Pienaar when he is has been consistently underperforming? I remember him playing well that one game when Goosen had a start. GOOSEN HAD A START DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG AGO THAT WAS?

I'm sorry but the boks has had 3/4 bad games and 1/4 good games and we've all stuck and supported HM because he keeps promising things are going to get better. Now he is almost at the end of his term and we're in the world cup and he's still making the same promises.

I love HM and his passion but things are obviously not working out, isn't the coach's responsibility that the players have a working gameplan and a plan B? I personally would like to see a new coach for the next 4 years.

Last edited:
Heyneke 'The Apologizer' Meyer

Also Heineken, this isn't a recent thing. A lot of us have been 'patient' with Heyneke for a long time now. We can't judge a coach by his world cup efforts alone (and that's not even going that great so far) even if we win the world cup, then what have we achieved in the last 4 years? Only a world cup?

You could argue he is bleeding a lot of younger players but then why are the older players then STILL playing? Somebody like Reinach, Hougaard or Faf should have gotten a lot more gametime. Why stick with Pienaar when he is has been consistently underperforming? I remember him playing well that one game when Goosen had a start. GOOSEN HAD A START DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG AGO THAT WAS?

I'm sorry but the boks has had 3/4 bad games and 1/4 good games and we've all stuck and supported HM because he keeps promising things are going to get better. Now he is almost at the end of his term and we're in the world cup and he's still making the same promises.

I love HM and his passion but things are obviously not working out, isn't the coach's responsibility that the players have a working gameplan and a plan B? I personally would like to see a new coach for the next 4 years.

He was appointed with the plan to win the World Cup. That was made crystal clear back in 2012 when he was appointed. HM will step down if we have a poor World Cup. I have no doubt in my mind about that. But I just think that there is more to this than just being a fluke. He had to apologise to make it look genuine, but to be honest, both his and JDV reaction after the game made me wonder what really was going on behind the scenes.

I have been a fan of HM, and I might be a bit more forgiving towards him due to my Bulls-biasness, but It just irritates me that people are calling for his head after just one game. We can still top our pool FFS!!

"But I just think that there is more to this than just being a fluke. He had to apologise to make it look genuine, but to be honest, both his and JDV reaction after the game made me wonder what really was going on behind the scenes.

I have been a fan of HM, and I might be a bit more forgiving towards him due to my Bulls-biasness, but It just irritates me that people are calling for his head after just one game. We can still top our pool FFS!!"

What do you mean? They lost deliberately? In that case I don't want to support them, because that's bull****.

I think we should scrap any coach that get appointed just for winning the world cup, because that's not the alpha and omega.

"I have been a fan of HM, and I might be a bit more forgiving towards him due to my Bulls-biasness, but It just irritates me that people are calling for his head after just one game. We can still top our pool FFS!!"

I have also been a fan of him and I've put up with some of the more dodgy decisions and results and I still have a slight bit of faith left, but after last year (which was not that great, we won plenty of games by the skin of our teeth. 60 minutes of playing ****e and waking up in the last 20) and this year. I'm kinda over it.

I think most of the reasonable springbok supporters feel the same way as I do. It won't help getting irritated at the mindless mob of idiots that will call for any coach's head after a loss to Japan. It's going to happen, people will be people. But you need to see things from our side, you do have a bit of bullsbias/fanboyism going on there ;)

It's a pity actually because I love HM for his no-nonsense and his clear passion in the coach's box. And for capping Willie!

If HM does get reappointed I will support him, but unless I see drastic changes I won't really have any faith.

"But I just think that there is more to this than just being a fluke. He had to apologise to make it look genuine, but to be honest, both his and JDV reaction after the game made me wonder what really was going on behind the scenes.

I have been a fan of HM, and I might be a bit more forgiving towards him due to my Bulls-biasness, but It just irritates me that people are calling for his head after just one game. We can still top our pool FFS!!"

What do you mean? They lost deliberately? In that case I don't want to support them, because that's bull****.

I think we should scrap any coach that get appointed just for winning the world cup, because that's not the alpha and omega.

"I have been a fan of HM, and I might be a bit more forgiving towards him due to my Bulls-biasness, but It just irritates me that people are calling for his head after just one game. We can still top our pool FFS!!"

I have also been a fan of him and I've put up with some of the more dodgy decisions and results and I still have a slight bit of faith left, but after last year (which was not that great, we won plenty of games by the skin of our teeth. 60 minutes of playing ****e and waking up in the last 20) and this year. I'm kinda over it.

I think most of the reasonable springbok supporters feel the same way as I do. It won't help getting irritated at the mindless mob of idiots that will call for any coach's head after a loss to Japan. It's going to happen, people will be people. But you need to see things from our side, you do have a bit of bullsbias/fanboyism going on there ;)

It's a pity actually because I love HM for his no-nonsense and his clear passion in the coach's box. And for capping Willie!

If HM does get reappointed I will support him, but unless I see drastic changes I won't really have any faith.

Fair enough. But I do think we don't have a coach with the experience to take over from HM. Talks about Ackerman or Jimmy Stonehouse is in my opinion a bit premature. They had one or 2 good seasons with a club team and now they are world class material? I don't buy that.

Ackerman and stonehouse not world class ... but a different game plan ... meyer limits the players to his kick and chase gameplan that sucks

Ackerman and stonehouse not world class ... but a different game plan ... meyer limits the players to his kick and chase gameplan that sucks

Perhaps you should stop watching 2003 Bulls rugby highlights... We haven't played that way at all the last 2 years...

I don't waist my time watching bull crap and they only stopped playing that way when pollard started playing there , point is ... meyer sucks and we need a need coach

fine!

I wonder what you will say when we win the cup??

I will say that it'd be despite him making a ton of overly conservative selections and game decisions as well as making massive compromizes. If we criticize its because we care a lot. Its not as if those who are moaning are all only doing so since we lost to Japan. Its been a while.

It'd make a great movie if we managed a win though; Burger and JdV with amazing comebacks (Burger even won the Laureus 'best comeback in sport' award), the political angle, losing to Japan in the 1st match after managing wins only over England and splitting 1 each with Argentina since last November (1st ever losses to both Arg and Japan), the drama in the coaching box and Meyer's struggles after not being able to keep up with Jones and then to lift the cup after everything.. I'd watch that.

what are the chances of Eddie Jones? :p

Nah, he has signed on with the Stormers. At least for 2016.

Last edited:
The Springboks don't look fit enough. All season they have fallen over in the final ten minutes of vital games. Forget the score - it was Japan who completely dominating the final ten minutes of that game on the weekend - just as the Austrlian's did earlier in the season.
Fitness is down to the Coach. The buck must stop with him, in so far as that aspect is concerned.

Latest posts