• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NFL Draft - Alex Smith Taken #1 by the 49ers

R

Ripper

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
NEW YORK Apr 24, 2005 â€" After a week of trade rumors and intrigue, the only drama in this NFL draft was the long wait for Aaron Rodgers. With the top players considered relatively equal, quarterback Alex Smith went first as expected to San Francisco and the other dominoes followed more or less the way they were supposed to.

But Rodgers, the Cal quarterback who the 49ers had considered at No. 1, fell most of the way through the first round until he was taken 24th overall by Green Bay to the cheers of fans at the draft. He will be groomed to succeed Brett Favre, who will turn 36 in October.

"I had already prepared myself for things not going my way," said Rodgers, who had been invited to the draft on the assumption he would be taken much earlier. "Things get a little screwy on draft day. We all know that."

he shortage of drama was in sharp contrast to last season, when San Diego took Eli Manning, who had expressed his desire not to play for the Chargers. They then traded him to the New York Giants for Philip Rivers, who the Giants had taken fourth overall.

"There's a lot of smoke this year, but very little fire," said Cleveland general manager Phil Savage, who entertained a number of offers before selecting wide receiver Braylon Edwards with the third pick.

In fact, the biggest fire may have come at the end of the evening at 11 p.m., when Denver used the final pick of the third round to select Maurice Clarett, the running back who led Ohio State to the 2002 national championship then left the Buckeyes.

He challenged the NFL rule requiring a player to be out of high school for three years a year ago and was eventually turned down by the courts, and was expected to go much lower after slow times in 40-yard dashes. The pick was 101st overall.

Edwards was part of a top nine that included three running backs, three cornerbacks and three players from Auburn with quarterback Jason Campbell, taken by Washington with the 25th pick, the fourth Tiger taken. The three early Auburn guys were running backs Ronnie Brown, second overall to Miami, and Carnell Williams, fifth to Tampa Bay, and cornerback Carlos Rogers, who the Redskins settled for at nine when they couldn't trade up.[/b]

From ABC News

I reckon Smith will be a good pick. Better than that little ***** Manning last year anyhow. I hope he gets destroyed this year.

Eli = Ryan Leaf

Smith isnt that bad a player, its just a shame he will be wasted at the 49ers

Ill give Eli 2 or 3 more years though. To be fair he doesnt have the sort of team Big Ben had at his disposal

what team? your welcome to come play for metro lions at the end of this year if ya stay in auckland

Would be nice, but atm Im living in Napier - although My parents want to move back up in 2 or 3 years.

I used to go watch the East Tamaki Lighting though - practiced a couple of times with them when they were short... didnt they win some competition recently?

nope..dont know

but did you eva hear of how nz couldve been another breeding ground for future nfl stars???

nzgridiron union(wateva) screwed themselves thats why gridiron isnt that big a sport in nz...

long story cut short:greedy ******** NEVER WIN

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@May 18 2005, 12:30 AM
nope..dont know

but did you eva hear of how nz couldve been another breeding ground for future nfl stars???

nzgridiron union(wateva) screwed themselves thats why gridiron isnt that big a sport in nz...

long story cut short:greedy ******** NEVER WIN
What did they do? I can only think of 2 Kiwis who have played in the NFL... Although you see a lot of Polynesians in there - probably from places like American Samoa though

there are alot of tongans in the NFL more than any other pacific nation i think and one got drafted this yr i think alot of them are samoans and tongans

Originally posted by Ripper@May 18 2005, 08:19 AM
What did they do? I can only think of 2 Kiwis who have played in the NFL...
There are heaps of them. One of them that played has my last name ( sorry can't tell you my last name).

i dont think you can say heaps you can say there 1 more gay-guy lol who has your last name

in the nfl most of the pacific islanders come from samoa and tonga

yeah there's that big fullback guy, not even gonna try spell his name. They are mostly American Samoan. NFL scouts regularly recieve tapes from that island of promising players.

I bet you it's cause rugby makes them good. They probably have no where near the facilities and coaching the Americans and Canadians do, but there's alot of rugby, and a rugby player who played football would do much better then a football player of played rugby.

my bad did some research and the most are from america samoa then samoa then tonga but if your counting hawaii they have the most.

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+May 18 2005, 11:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ May 18 2005, 11:09 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@May 18 2005, 08:19 AM
What did they do? I can only think of 2 Kiwis who have played in the NFL...
There are heaps of them. One of them that played has my last name ( sorry can't tell you my last name). [/b]
your last name must be vick
<

in answer to your question ripper

in the 80's and early 90's...gridiron was a making a small name for itself in nz....
there was one dominant club team in all nz and that was the central mustangs

they won there ***le 7years in a row and practically developed grid iron nz.
the owner/sponsers on the nz gridiron comp had his own team in some suburb in auckland

mustangs were dominant in the auckland rep teams that traveled to wellington and waikato(where the compitetion was the biggest back then)...they were also dominant in the kiwi team...it was practically the mustangs outfit with 4 or 5 stand out guys from other clubs in nz

an american college teams management heard of the football progress in nz and decided to travel downunder and were suprised by the level of depth and talent in the auckland squad(mainly the mustangs team) and called for the there college team to hav trip to nz!!! to play the best!..the new zealand squad

what the mustangs/kiwi team asked for was new uniform(kiwi sports coloured uniform-black),new gears such as new helmets,padding and stuff

the gridiron sponsers/owners denied saying it cost too much to field this kiwi squad so the owner threw in the team he owned and ran and them play against this american college team...they were(the kiwi club team) destroyed!!!
50something-7 i think

the owner walked away with a fat paycheck
the americans flew away up-themselves as they demolished what was called "the best nz cud offer!"
and ALL the nz gridiron players with potential walked away with nothing

see if the owner had spilt a paycheck on the kiwi team(the dominant mustangs outfit) they couldve gave that college a run for its money...thus taking back some of our players to america to develop...then over there they will say"woah that guys good".."wheres he from?"...

new zealand!..then we got scouts coming down here..coaches and managers from the u.s coming down trying to develop our american football game..so on so forth

but wat they saw was a pile of crap...the best nz cud offer
<

on opera last week the show was about a tongan nfl player who was homosexual...im not against gay ppl or anything but i found it funny cos he was built, big and his lover was small and thin....i felt sorry for him though cos all his family and reletives were in the audience and they didnt look happy for him

Originally posted by ALLBLACKS@May 18 2005, 03:48 PM
who has your last name
Well it is a Samoan name for sure. Not Smith or Lee or anything.

Similar height to me.
Born two months earlier than me (yes he is retired now)
In Samoa his first name means "rock"
Rookie Season 1995
Defensive End
Denver Broncos, San Diego Chargers and Atlanta Falcons
Final Season 2001

I would put a picture up but I don't know how to do it.

Samoans are common. In the 90's I took the liberty and decided to watch a Superbowl game and there was a Samoan guy at the coin toss. He was the leader of their defence. They lost
<
<

Latest posts