Prestwick

Airhornsman
TRF Legend
Country Flag
UK
Club or Nation
Saracens
http://www.wired.com/playbook/2010/09/gallery-meadowlands-stadium/

Very interesting set of innovations such as waterless toilets but this is the best bit for me:

In addition to the 4-foot-high, 2,200-foot-long ribbon board that circles the interior of the bowl, there are four 30-foot by 118-foot HD video displays placed in the four "corners" of the stadium. And in case fans miss the instant replays on one of those enormous screens, they'll be able to pull it up on a specially designed app that will work only on the premises (thanks to the NMS' free WiFi) and provide highlights, updated stats, and more exclusive content. (Five hundred wireless antennas inside the stadium will make sure of that.) In all, designers spent some $100 million on tricking out NMS with technology-centric infrastructure.
http://www.wired.com/playbook/2010/...tm_content=Google+Reader&pid=38#ixzz0zAYLRHe6

That for me sounds really good if I go to an Ashes Test match and I want to get more stats beyond what the scoreboard is telling me such as what is Andy Strauss's batting average against the Aussies?

It'd also be useful for rugby for questions such as...why the hell did he get binned again? I didn't see the ref's hand and I don't have ref-link.

That is really innovative/cool

Doubt it'll ever make it's way across here though, unfortunately, bet it costs an absolute bomb (if not for the actual running, then just paying to be allowed to use it/the software etc.etc.)

Dallas Cowboys set the trend for future stadiums when they moved into their new stadium last season and this looks like a cracking stadium!

I think despite the initial $1.2 billion investment the amount of high tech improvements will save the stadium operators money. Such as the waterless loos which will save tons of water and thus cut water rates to the bone.

The Dallas Cowboys stadium is incredible and there are several more in the pipeline. Interestingly Medowlands has already hosted a diveball friendly so imagine a RWC final being held there?!

Those waterless toiletts suck. They make the place smell like ****. The filter in them is supposed to eliminate the stick...negatory. They installed those Urinals in the university I coached at, and in one of our malls. Really, really bad idea.
However nice they say that stadium is, it doesn't compare to the monument to himself that Jerry Jones, owner of the Dallas Cowboys built. This isn't me bragging 'cause I'm an uber-fan, but you won't see anything like this stadium untill the economy bounces back to where it was before the crisis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboys_Stadium
File:Cowboysstadiumvideoscreen2009.jpg

Thin im also correct in saying that the pitch can be slid in and out of the stadium!

Those waterless toiletts suck. They make the place smell like ****. The filter in them is supposed to eliminate the stick...negatory. They installed those Urinals in the university I coached at, and in one of our malls. Really, really bad idea.
However nice they say that stadium is, it doesn't compare to the monument to himself that Jerry Jones, owner of the Dallas Cowboys built. This isn't me bragging 'cause I'm an uber-fan, but you won't see anything like this stadium untill the economy bounces back to where it was before the crisis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboys_Stadium
File:Cowboysstadiumvideoscreen2009.jpg

Yeah but that...that...huge frickin' telly looks stupid! Why bother going to the game at all when you can just stare at that huge mile long HD screen in front of you. Not to mention the issues they had initially with balls bouncing off of it at kick off!

Shane Lechler the Punter for the Oakland Raiders never touched it when he played there. Usually the one with the massive boot but never touched it. Think they raised it slightly!

It got hit in a pre-season game there and the NFL and/or players asked for them to raise it. Point still stands though I think :p

It got hit in a pre-season game there and the NFL and/or players asked for them to raise it. Point still stands though I think :p

Ye it was A.J. Trapasso who was a reserve punter with the Tennessee ***ans at the time, he is currently a free agent. But ye, point stands, Id love to see a rugby game at the stadium tho.

We're lucky, in America, for the public parks service to let us near a lumpy pitch of sod, let alone play in any sort of stadium...haha. Just last night I had to explain what rugby was, as I wore a rugby shirt to my last night of work, because, f___ it, they weren't really going to send me home...haha. I quote, "Ruggy? Rubgy? Rubby? Rugabidy? What, What's that?" LOL.

Yeah, I know a lot of people that have been to a game at the stadium...it's way over the top. Parking alone costs $75, on top of your ticket price.

Parking alone costs $75, on top of your ticket price.

I had a big :rolleyes: moment when I read on wikipedia that there is NO public transportation in the city, so you pretty much have to pay the parking fee. How can there be a city with NO public transportation in a first world country. That is retarded.

Yeah that doesn't compute for me either, if you're driving to the stadium how the hell can you have a drink?!

Can a professional rugby game actually get played on astro turf? I had a mate who recently did a semester at university of florida and he said it was damn painful. Obviously it doesn't worry those strapping NFL players with all the protective clothing and what not but it may pose some problems for Richie McCaw and the like in their stubbies.

Can a professional rugby game actually get played on astro turf? I had a mate who recently did a semester at university of florida and he said it was damn painful. Obviously it doesn't worry those strapping NFL players with all the protective clothing and what not but it may pose some problems for Richie McCaw and the like in their stubbies.

I've played on it a number of times, if it's a new state of the art field turf it doesn't hurt at all, but I'd suggest wearing the long sleve underarmour or some other protection on the elbow to guard from scrapes. Other than that there's no big deal. Although soccer players ***** about it all the time, but we all know they are a bunch of puffs.

As for "new Meadowlands", I don't get why they called it a new one, I mean the old one was a **** hole and contained very few good memories

Im not going to lie, It did look nice but its not that spectacular!

Latest posts