• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Nifty laws

S

sambãd5

Just wondering how many nifty or sneaky rules there are in rugby, i know a few, such as if a ruck is by the sideline, the halfback can put his foot out of touch so hes able to pick up the ball. Also you cant run into your 22 so you can kick it out on the full (not as good as the 1st one)

So can anyone think of anymore, which will be most likley better that mine
<

my fav sneaky play is when a ruck forms and your side has the ball back on your side. Simply grab the opposition rucker by the shoulders and pull him forwards. He will usually fall on top of the ball with his hands out in front to break his fall. Once his hands fall onto the balll, he's playing the balll on the ground and the ref should award a penalty for your team. It's surprizing how many times this has worked. A definite nifty move.

Originally posted by cavan@Feb 14 2005, 01:40 PM
my fav sneaky play is when a ruck forms and your side has the ball back on your side. Simply grab the opposition rucker by the shoulders and pull him forwards. He will usually fall on top of the ball with his hands out in front to break his fall. Once his hands fall onto the balll, he's playing the balll on the ground and the ref should award a penalty for your team. It's surprizing how many times this has worked. A definite nifty move.
Surely any decent ref would realise that you were illegally playing a man without the ball and ping you for it...............

One of my favourites is that you can't be offside from open play. I love it if the opposition player on your inside breaks through. You track him back to one side, and watch his expression of horror unfold as he passes the ball straight to you thinking you are one a supporting player, turn round and run it back down the pitch with gaps all over the place. Nearly scored doing that last season.

Well, until seeing it this weekend, didn't realize a try was scored by grounding it into the post.

Don't know if I like it anymore as goal post pads are way bigger these days than those of yore . . .

I gotta try that pretending to be the opponent's support trick. sounds like it works.

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugby_Guy@Feb 19 2005, 05:31 PM
I gotta try that pretending to be the opponent's support trick. sounds like it works.
It does. Particularly on a very muddy pitch where the colours on your shirt are obscured
<

yeah one of the lads on my team (an Aussie) took 5 intercepts in one game by pretending to support a breaking opposition runner

But at the same time, you have to make sure a teammate is there to force him to pass. So if he's on a break and there's no one there then you've got to take the tackle instead of hanging back.

Try the injury ones.

If you are in the backline from a ruck or maul (and it is taking a while for the forwards to get it out) and planning to cut in or hit the ball on the burst...........go to ground (take a knee) and clutch your chest as if you have some serious chest injury and makes sure you are kinda looking at the ground. When you sense the ball has come out spring to your feet and run straight at a gap. Either you may get the ball (in this case you are already halfway into a gap) or you will put off the defence (as they are now trying to re-adjust to your miraculous recovery). Or they will feel for a split second a slight bit guilty tackling an injured player. Don't believe me that this works? Well next time you are in the defensive backline and you see some attacker on the ground injured then YOU TRY and mark him. Good chance you won't.

Lots of other fake injury tricks (going to the sideline with dislocated shoulder only to catch the ball and become the flying winger, crouching alone as a hurt defender only to leap forward from that advantageous position for a crunching tackle, winger crouching injured near the tryline while the centre runs AROUND him to the corner only to pass it back infield to him).

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugby_Guy@Feb 22 2005, 03:24 AM
But at the same time, you have to make sure a teammate is there to force him to pass. So if he's on a break and there's no one there then you've got to take the tackle instead of hanging back.
Lol, well yes. Its works best playing outside centre, and taking a beautifully weighted pass from the breaking player as your full-back goes to tackle him.

heh, if the ref dont see it, it isnt cheating...

...or the video ref....

...or doesnt get picked up later, john hapuati? anyone (NRL)
("The second knuckle it went up to" - mathew ridge - game of 2 halfs)

Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 15 2005, 01:52 PM
Well, until seeing it this weekend, didn't realize a try was scored by grounding it into the post.

Don't know if I like it anymore as goal post pads are way bigger these days than those of yore . . .
it's true...the posts are part of the tryline! all you have to do is press the ball against the pads and.....TRY TIME!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
i'll try that. Can you call for the ball?[/b]

of course you can.....that's the main reason it works. during the game learn the opponents names when they are talking to each other.
trust me! it works much better if you're calling their names and when they pass the following words are "F@#K, you lyin' son ov a...."
<
<
<
<
<
<

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugby_Guy@Mar 6 2005, 04:49 AM
i'll try that. Can you call for the ball?
Of course, that's the best way to do it. Just something very no-descript like "Yes,yes" usually does the trick.

I can see it right now calling ball ball, and then watching his horror as he passes me the ball and I turn around and run in the opposite direction.

does anyone know, if that your taking a penalty kick right, and you just tap it off the t and pick up and run with it? cause i was watching some old sk00l league footage, were they did cross feild kicks instead of going for goal.

Originally posted by sambad5@Mar 9 2005, 03:54 PM
does anyone know, if that your taking a penalty kick right, and you just tap it off the t and pick up and run with it? cause i was watching some old sk00l league footage, were they did cross feild kicks instead of going for goal.
the little tap trick works on different refs, but i think there's a rule about how far it goes.

btw, that cross-field kick is maybe the oldest trick in the book....but usually pulled off when they're napping or you have a really fast winger

Originally posted by sambad5@Mar 9 2005, 04:54 AM
It might work in League, I don't know the rules as well, but in Union you have to convince the ref that you are taking a genuine shot at goal from a penalty.

Latest posts