• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

No More Maori in Pacific Nations Cup!

D

DaKine

526735282_6371ca8e51.jpg

http://www.sarugby.com/news/News/article/sid=10589.html

Most All Blacks already have Maori blood so wtf is the difference? I say let them defend their win from 2008! As a fellow Pacific Islander from Hawaii I'm slightly annoyed.

Up until now all I'd heard was that NZ Maori had been cut because of the economic crisis. I didn't realise they were being replaced by the JAB.

Prior to 2007 it would have been better to see the NZ Maori in this competition because NZ rugby was very strong at that point. The level of the Maori play is also nowhere near as good as the JAB's, so it would have better for the development of the Pacific nation teams and Japan to face the Maori, which this is supposed to be about.

Now that NZ is in a rebuilding stage so to speak, I think the JAB are the way to go. It's better for the development of NZ rugby player wise and supposedly economically.

A few quality players were unable to further their development because they were from the islands or Pakeha last year. Gone are the days when someone with a slight tan or some long lost Maori rellies could pull on a NZ Maori shirt.

I heard about this about 3 weeks ago and being a Maori I was a bit ****** off at first but than I thought it would be better for Nz Rugby because like Flux said alot of players were put aside either because they were islander or pakeha but now they'll have the chance to get into the Junior ABs.

Dropping the Nz Maori is a bit sad but if any of them are good enough they'll make the Juniors anyway so it can only be good for Nz Rugby. At least now there wont be no problems with players being eligible for Nz Maori because they've got 1/50th Maori in them lol.

I don't really support it fully but that's just the way it's gonna be so I might as well try and make the best of it.

Playing the Maori over JABs is stupid. It's completely racist to offer a team for the Maoris at all. It's saying, hey we don't want the best players to play, we want the black buggers to play!

Good move. Players should be chosen by ability, not ethnicity. While the 1/50 Maori rule is alright for people who have been living in the country for generations, what about the new immigrants?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gho @ Jan 18 2009, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Good move. Players should be chosen by ability, not ethnicity. While the 1/50 Maori rule is alright for people who have been living in the country for generations, what about the new immigrants?[/b]

Nuff said.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Jan 17 2009, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Playing the Maori over JABs is stupid. It's completely racist to offer a team for the Maoris at all. It's saying, hey we don't want the best players to play, we want the black buggers to play![/b]
Gees thats a bit harsh calling them black buggers especially when us Maori are brown.

I think they should try and keep both teams like how it's always been. Cancelling one out just like they did with the Juniors last season was stupid. At least thou now they'll get the best of the best so if any Nz Maori are good enough they'll be in the Juniors anyway.

Lol I was joking about that 1/50th Maori rule that isn't how it works I mean just a few seasons ago they nearly had Tasesa Lavea take the field and he has no Maori in him what so ever.

I'm just sick of people complaining about the Maori being cut, they had to cut a couple of teams, and who else would be cut over the Maori?

I haven't heard that many complaints it must be just those Maniapoto lot up your ways aye because most of the boys at work are Maori and to be honest they don't give a crap they were more worried about why the heck the Kiwis didn't get as much love as they deserve.

Nz Maori won the last Pacific Nations Cup I know it's no big frill to some people but who's gonna defend it or do the Nz Maori give it up? Hopefully the Juniors will be able to represent New Zealand because if the Australian A can get in there no reason why the Juniors shouldn't be able to.

I read a article that South Africa wants to play NZ Maori as a warm up prior to the Lions Tour, since their only other warm up game is against Namibia.

So we may yet see NZ Maori in 2009

BTW I read it on rugbyheaven.co.nz.....I think

why rugby authorities do not give Maori NZ their way to play rugby

Because of luck of money? and that's all?

New Zealand Maoris were formed back in the days when Maori weren't allowed to represent New Zealand through racial reasons. Throughout New Zealand we have a rugby competition called Tribal wars or "PA" wars. Each Maori player would represent there current marae to play off against other maraes. Then if in there case there marae wins that tournament they then go through to play off at a tournament envolving Maori from all over New Zealand which is known as the "PA" wars

"Ngapuhi" which is a northern tribe based in whangarei. You then have "Tainui" From the Waikato area through to the king country. Then you have the South Island Tribe which is called "ngai tahu" these teams are selected and combine to make New Zealand Maori's...

Thats the way it should have been, only now days they select the professional players from the super 14 :(

The SRU are working hard to get the NZ Maori to play however by South African Law no team may be represented when selected by race...South African's are very strict on that. However it seems the SRU are trying to make an exception in this case. The match is a warm up for the British and Irish Lions.

Latest posts