• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

"No-Ruck" tactics

Interesting write up about it here:
http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_...rplan-england-came-together-nearly-fell-apart

Italy actually had to slightly change their tactics due to a rule change that week. Originally you were allowed to play the 9, but they changed that due to it not being in the spirit of the game, hence the Italian players essentially standing in front of all the receivers waving their arms instead.

If the 9 was to just pass the ball at/to one of the opposition players who are not-offside-but-offside surely then they'd be offside because they'd be behind a player in possession of the ball? Or if the 9 passed the ball to one of his players who was next to him and that person passed the ball at/to the opposition.

I think Italy deserve huge credit to identifying a way and carrying it through. Their fault was not having a continuation for when England figured it out which was always going to happen by half time

I think Italy deserve huge credit to identifying a way and carrying it through.

That's the way I see it, too.
I don't understand why people are getting so mad about it, it's a ****ty thing to do but it's within the laws. I hate choke tackles but if teams can do them then fair play, they've found a loophole and have the skills to exploit it.

If the 9 was to just pass the ball at/to one of the opposition players who are not-offside-but-offside surely then they'd be offside because they'd be behind a player in possession of the ball? Or if the 9 passed the ball to one of his players who was next to him and that person passed the ball at/to the opposition.

No, Hooper got an intercept in the AIs off of Murray when Aus used the trick.

Is anyone else finding the forum especially slow today? Also the above problem has happened a few times. Usually I have solved it by going into the full editor instead of the quick reply box, but evidently it didn't work here.

Last edited:
No,HoopergotaninterceptintheAIsoffofMurraywhenAususedthetrick.

Is anyone else finding the forum especially slow today? Also the above problem has happened a few times. Usually I have solved it by going into the full editor instead of the quick reply box, but evidently it didn't work here.
Aye, it often is after a big game. Presumably a lot of extra traffic today after the weirdness of the England game is slowing it down.

No,HoopergotaninterceptintheAIsoffofMurraywhenAususedthetrick.

The spicy memes are slowing it down. And yes the quoting thing happens to me on literally every post.
On this rule, if it was something which should realistically be effective beyond shock value maybe once or twice in a game it would definitely need changing, but as it stands it's fine. It can go very very badly wrong for teams who try it too much. I don't think it will be very common. Fair cop to Italy for trying it as they had absolutely nothing to lose, but most teams who can win the game in a conventional game wouldn't risk/bother with it.

That's the way I see it, too.
I don't understand why people are getting so mad about it, it's a ****ty thing to do but it's within the laws. I hate choke tackles but if teams can do them then fair play, they've found a loophole and have the skills to exploit it.

Exactly. Like I think some people are ****ty because they didn't see England run in a 100 etc. But Italy weren't going to come in to be hammered. As I say it was magnificent to spot it and execute but they needed to follow through with another variation.
I also think today Jones was covering for fact England weren't smart enough to pick and go and force Italians to abandon it before it took off

what? the players are very much not offside, they just can't play the ball or the player playing the ball without coming through the gate... which is a law regarding the tackle

Last edited:
I'm not 200% sure what you're getting at but if you're wondering why the scrummie can't throw the ball at the opposing man blocking the channel as if he was a lazy runner, it's because that player is not offside, it's open play and he can't be put offside unless one of his own players engages in a ruck.
Think of it as he'd be offloading it right at an opposing player.

This won't ever happen again, it's a tack tick very easily negated.
When the tackle is made and 'no ruck' is formed - defending side can come around within 1m of the tackle zone - because a ruck isn't formed the attacking side DONT have to play the ball, they can all stand there for 30 mins if they wish. Meaning the defending side will have to form a ruck by putting a man in and the players that have flooded round are all now offside when the ball is played which would result in a penalty without fail to the attacking team.

When the tackle is made and 'no ruck' is formed - defending side can come around within 1m of the tackle zone - because a ruck isn't formed the attacking side DONT have to play the ball, they can all stand there for 30 mins if they wish. Meaning the defending side will have to form a ruck by putting a man in and the players that have flooded round are all now offside when the ball is played which would result in a penalty without fail to the attacking team.

to this extent it will never happen again... most teams use it as a surprise, not every play

That's probably the worst counter tactic I could imagine trying.

Particularly when the whole point of it is to slow down/disrupt the opposition, and that picking and going through the ruck works well, without forcing you to slow down.

That's probably the worst counter tactic I could imagine trying.

Particularly when the whole point of it is to slow down/disrupt the opposition, and that picking and going through the ruck works well, without forcing you to slow down.

not to mention it allows someone to take a 10 metre run and blow up the guy standing over the ball resulting in a turnover

also the tackler can just pick the ball up

Last edited:
to this extent it will never happen again... most teams use it as a surprise, not every play

Exactly.

I also imagine those who weren't aware of it before, are now going to spend about 10 minutes on Monday being told what they should do in that circumstance if it arises.

Actually they do have to play it as it's coming out of a tackle I think. So if tackler got up and picked it that'd be fair game.

Latest posts