• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

"No Sex" to support the All Blacks campaign

Shaggy

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
It seems that a certain New Zealand telecommunications company is suggesting tongue and cheek, that New Zealanders have no sex during the Rugby World Cup, to support the All Blacks :D (Source: New Zealand Herald)

... Let me make a pre-emptive strike, as a Kiwi, and say that the sheep will be much more relaxed :D

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby-world-cup-2011/news/article.cfm?c_id=522&objectid=10745584

All Blacks at centre of bizarre Cup campaign
By Amelia Wade

The All Blacks are at the centre of a new public relations controversy - this time over a supposedly humorous and edgy Telecom-led ad campaign to have fans abstain from sex during the World Cup.

The NZ Rugby Union is understood to have been irritated by the campaign, although it issued a supportive statement last night.

"Abstain for the All Blacks" - to start late next week - will be driven by the Telecom-sponsored official All Blacks' fan site, BackingBlack. It asks supporters to avoid sex during the World Cup to support the team.

The campaign will be fronted by former All Black captain Sean Fitzpatrick, and participants will receive black rubber finger-rings to show they have signed up for the World Cup next month.

Organisers hope the rings will galvanise fans in the way Sir Peter Blake's red socks did for New Zealand's successful America's Cup yachting campaigns.

But a marketing person familiar with the campaign said Telecom's advertising agency, Saatchi & Saatchi, considered it "edgy" and expected it to be controversial.

He told the Herald: "I think this thing is a bloody embarrassment. The rest of the world will take the **** out of us. This will be much better sport than the rugby. It's inexplicable."

The campaign will run in various media. Posters bearing the slogan, "Touch, pause and don't engage" will be placed in bus shelters.

Originally, the plan also included signs above urinals in bars and restaurants, urging men to "think of your mum in a bikini - Abstain for the All Blacks" but they were cut from the campaign.

The BackingBlack campaign was founded by Telecom and is endorsed by the NZRU as the official fan club for the All Blacks.

Telecom director of marketing Kieren Cooney said the new campaign was intended as "tongue-in-cheek".

"We've tried to take a way that is fun and is absolutely tongue-in-cheek and is absolutely based on what, we think, is Kiwi humour ...

"So this is something which I don't think is prudish or is precious but is one which is a good laugh."

Mr Cooney said the NZRU had been involved with Abstain for the All Blacks from its conception.

A source said the NZRU was not happy with the original campaign and asked for changes.

"It has been involved from the top down with BackingBlack and this campaign itself ... we have been dealing with it on a weekly, if not daily basis," said Mr Cooney.

Later last night the NZRU's commercial manager, Paul Dalton, issued a statement: "Telecom and BackingBlack are great supporters of the All Blacks, and put a lot of energy and creativity into getting fans involved.

"Our partners manage their own creative ideas but we are in the loop on their latest campaigns, and as with other BackingBlack activity we expect this to be entertaining and get people talking."

Asked if the All Blacks themselves would abstain from sex for the cup, Mr Dalton said: "Last time we checked, the All Blacks' match preparations aren't built around sponsors' advertising campaigns, so let's not confuse the two.

"This is all about Telecom doing something fun with, and for, the fans and should be very obvious to everyone that it is not to be taken too seriously."

Mr Cooney said the concept for Abstain for the All Blacks came from members of the BackingBlack fanclub.

"It's tongue-in-cheek, and what we think is really Kiwi humour to get the nation rallying behind the All Blacks."

Auckland University senior marketing lecturer Tom Agee asked if the campaign was a practical joke when he was told about it.

"I'm gobsmacked ... The idea behind the campaign is to get some attention and to get some talk, but I can't believe anybody would participate in that."

Asked if the All Blacks needed more controversy after the row over the price of adidas jerseys, Mr Cooney said: "I can't really see the parallel with adidas. First of all, we're not looking to sell anything directly from this - what we're doing is really trying to galvanise support for the All Blacks."

No sex during the World Cup? I don't think I could go a week without sex let alone more than a month. LOL

That is a good laugh though. :D

I think this will get many kiwis rooting against the ABs from day 1... Or at least from the third game or so, when they start getting blue.

Just think of the 'explosions of joy' if the All Blacks win the World Cup

this isn't the first time the All Blacks have run this campaign. You wonder why their previous world cup efforts have ended prematurely...

This would have been more appropriate at the FIFA World Cup last year, an event where "scoring" is always at a premium anyway...

This idea is lame.

"All Blacks fans frustrated as All Blacks campaign continues"

fricken stupid idea from a fricken stupid company with a fricken stupid scot in charge. Why the hell did fitzy get behind it. I'm just greatful Ted and the players were smart enough to pass. You would think that was enough of a red flag for telecom. Pitty they are too stupid to see it :)

Just think of the 'explosions of joy' if the All Blacks win the World Cup

LOL

This idea is lame.

"All Blacks fans frustrated as All Blacks campaign continues"

It is lame because you can just lie, not only that if the All Blacks lose, all those males that abstained from sex, their testosterone levels will be running high so there could be extreme consequences if the ABs lose. Some of those guys will go past frusteration.

No sex during the World Cup? I don't think I could go a week without sex let alone more than a month. LOL

That is a good laugh though. :D

Its funny this issue has come up 'cos Ive honestly gone without sex for 5 weeks now and that is unusual for me, believe me.

Elaborate ploy by tourism New Zealand.
There will be a huge influx of visitors to the country for the cup, but if we are being honest, how many good looking sheilas will be among them? Not many i would wager.
They will expect a vibrant nightlife but it will be Sausagefest 2011, taking all the hosts out of the equation will dramatically increase the tourists' chances of having a good time.

Well played..

Its funny this issue has come up 'cos Ive honestly gone without sex for 5 weeks now and that is unusual for me, believe me.

Have they learnt to run faster than you, Sam? :p

Just kidding, I do agree with you about the testosterone and attitude of guys as the cup went on if they did do it.

It's bad enough when I'm out with my missus and some of her friends. Often get the lean in and "is this guy bothering you" talk, even my wife herself. So, I can imagine what guys would be like if they all did abstain! :lol:

This can surely come under the heading "any publicity is good publicity"

I hadn't realised that Telecom's marketing department had hired Julian Clary's joke-writer.

Honestly, who are the marketing "geniuses" who dream up this kind of crap? This is the sort of stupid stuff that makes me cringe so much that I feel like telling people I'm Australian when I travel overseas!!!

Put this in the same pile of garbage as driving a flock of sheep down the main street of Auckland and the "Wellywood" sign, then consign the whole lot to the nearest tip!!

Last edited:
This can surely come under the heading "any publicity is good publicity"

I hadn't realised that Telecom's marketing department had hired Julian Clary's joke-writer.

Honestly, who are the marketing "geniuses" who dream up this kind of crap? This is the sort of stupid stuff that makes me cringe so much that I feel like telling people I'm Australian when I travel overseas!!!

Put this in the same pile of garbage as driving a flock of sheep down the main street of Auckland and the "Wellywood" sign, then consign the whole lot to the nearest tip!!

Why didn't they just make it "wear something black every day for the whole of the world cup" and you receive some special bonus for buying All Blacks gear in the lead up and during the world cup. Maybe a unique piece of merchandise that only those taking the "wearing black" campaign and buying All Blacks gear would get? Seems like something marketable to me.

Latest posts