• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

No Springbok on chest of RWC South African Jersey

Will "All Blacks" still be written on NZs jerseys? Is that not a brand rather than an emblem:huh:?

It part of the emblem of the New Zealand National Rugby Union Team

600px-All_Blacks_logo.svg.png

just like this one for the Australian National Rugby Union Team

wallabies-logo.jpg

This still doesn't make any sense to me... if the World Cup logo has to be on the right and the Protea on the left...
Whats the problem??? just seems stupid to me!

The problem is that the Protea is not the symbol of SA Rugby

Oh, I thought that the "Protea" was some fancy name for a springbok... what a tool!

Makes sense now... well, not really... can't believe that there is no allowances for these kinds of things!!!

This still doesn't make any sense to me... if the World Cup logo has to be on the right and the Protea on the left...
Whats the problem??? just seems stupid to me!

dtm

The problem is political. The Springbok is a traditional emblem of white (as in pre-Apartheid) sport in South Africa. The South African Cricket team, is now known as the "Proteas" but prior to 1994 (I think) it was also called the Springboks.

The ruling ANC Party is trying to remove all vestiges of South Africa's "white rule" heritage, and the Springbok, as an emblem, is firmly in the cross-hairs!!!

The weird thing is that for years it wasn't a problem. Only after the whole story was brought up world wide in the movie Invictus it became an issue again

Springbok is the list of endangered species in the last 16 years so if you want to remove it, lets! If it helps people to break the apartheid in a cloud hanging over our heads so. Springbok rugby Springbok rugby Rainbow Nation and people are always around 100% Bokka VIVA!

This is BS!

The Bok is as iconic as the Silver Fern. Stupid policies!

Springbok is the list of endangered species in the last 16 years so if you want to remove it, lets! If it helps people to break the apartheid in a cloud hanging over our heads so. Springbok rugby Springbok rugby Rainbow Nation and people are always around 100% Bokka VIVA!

Whether people like it or not, Apartheid was part of South Africa's history, and it needs to be acknowledged, not suppressed and revised. Transformation should be about coming to terms with your past, not trying to pretend it never happened.

Even if the Springbok was a "Symbol of Apartheid", there is no reason not to work to bring a different meaning to it..

If Germany could successfully work to bring a different meaning to this...
cross.gif

I see no reason why South Africa could not work to bring a different meaning to this...
50rugbyunion.gif

Well, after this happening I am waiting for the moment the team is officially called "Proteas"

That's the thing. They might remove the Springbok emblem from the chest, they might change the name but the fans and people all over the world will always call them the Springboks. Easy as that. If New Zealand plays in white for a whole year, they will still be referred to as the All Blacks.

sarugby1.png

I tried making something nice of it where the Springbok is still visible (and not on the sleeve haha)

Latest posts