• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Nonu and O'Driscoll the best 12/13 combo of pro age? Who is better of the two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 great players - they would certainly have to rank up there as a pairing!!

On a different note, it struck me today that Nehe Milner-Skudder is like a new and improved Shane Williams. Anyone else see the similarites?
I see the similarities but it might be a bit premature to say Improved.

I see the similarities but it might be a bit premature to say Improved.

Haha, I'm just feeling a bit cocky after today :)

He does remind me of Williams although the reason I put it out there is because I didnt get to see Williams that much, or at least watch him very closely. I recall him finding all sorts of ways to get himself into the game though, had good pace and a lovely step. All things NMS seems to do. His work rate for the ABs today with ball in hand, particulalry that first half was awesome. Lots of carries and lots over the gain line! Looks like he could be a great player. The improved bit could be that he has a very good offlaod too. Did Williams have one?

Haha, I'm just feeling a bit cocky after today :)

He does remind me of Williams although the reason I put it out there is because I didnt get to see Williams that much, or at least watch him very closely. I recall him finding all sorts of ways to get himself into the game though, had good pace and a lovely step. All things NMS seems to do. His work rate for the ABs today with ball in hand, particulalry that first half was awesome. Lots of carries and lots over the gain line! Looks like he could be a great player. The improved bit could be that he has a very good offlaod too. Did Williams have one?

If he can stay healthy he will be better than Williams. Skudder seems fragile, but he has size and beautiful feet, though his feet are not as good as Williams, probably no one ever will be.

NZ's first choice wings are brilliant. An embarrassment of riches in most departments. Other nations need to copy everything about NZ rugby quickly, or else we are all ****ED!

BOD is as good as it will ever get for Ireland in terms of having a true star player. And that's a pity because NZ produces players like him year in year out constantly. Put George Moala, Malakai Fekitoa or Pita Ahki over in ireland and they will **** on superlatives for months about how this is the new BOD. Yet these guys are fighting it out to be the back up to the back ups roles with the ABs.

BOD was a good player - but still pretty much a standard NZ player. Nonu easily the better player of the two. If you are going out to win a world cup final, youd pick Nonu every day of the week, not BOD. Comparing BOD to Nonu is like comparing Anna Kournikova to Serena Williams - Both get media praise but the truth is the darker skinned one is the true performing star.

BOD is as good as it will ever get for Ireland in terms of having a true star player. And that's a pity because NZ produces players like him year in year out constantly. Put George Moala, Malakai Fekitoa or Pita Ahki over in ireland and they will **** on superlatives for months about how this is the new BOD. Yet these guys are fighting it out to be the back up to the back ups roles with the ABs.

BOD was a good player - but still pretty much a standard NZ player. Nonu easily the better player of the two. If you are going out to win a world cup final, youd pick Nonu every day of the week, not BOD. Comparing BOD to Nonu is like comparing Anna Kournikova to Serena Williams - Both get media praise but the truth is the darker skinned one is the true performing star.
@Tigs Man good things come to those who wait... :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you even going to give a reason why Nonu>BOD other than the fact that he's born in NZ?
I'd love to see Nonu playing with an average team against decent opposition at Test level and whether he'd tear **** up

BOD played in a relatively poor team whereas Nonu played in one of the greatest teams that has ever played this game. It is impossible to compare the two really. They're both great players.

BOD played in a relatively poor team whereas Nonu played in one of the greatest teams that has ever played this game. It is impossible to compare the two really. They're both great players.

No it's not, Nonu is better. This BOD worship has built him up far more than what he actually was and delivered.

Lots of *****e talk on this thread but not surprising since its a silly fanboy thread.

BOD didn't win the world cup or beat the ABs so he is a **** player.

Not getting dragged into a stupid arguement over who was better but will sort-of answer the question. I would ave loved to watch a Non BOD centre partnership. Would have been something else.

Man Conrad Smith is getting severely underrated here.

The reason the AB's are so damn good is because of this unreal partnership in the midfield - Smith and Nonu is the greatest pairing ever, none of this BOD - Nonu garbage.

Twice world cup winners and mountains of other records, but apparently it's just because we have Dan Carter (even though he's been injured for years on end), the moronic statements in this thread are mind boggling and make me sick in this forum sometimes that I actually do end up looking like a troll because of my attitude to some of the users, but quite frankly you deserve it.

I understand you want a nod to your compatriot and an idol to feel good about, but the truth is BOD is extremely overrated by you lot.

Last edited:
Man Conrad Smith is getting severely underrated here.

The reason the AB's are so damn good is because of this unreal partnership in the midfield - Smith and Nonu is the greatest pairing ever, none of this BOD - Nonu garbage.

Twice world cup winners and mountains of other records, but apparently it's just because we have Dan Carter (even though he's been injured for years on end), the moronic statements in this thread are mind boggling and make me sick in this forum sometimes that I actually do end up looking like a troll because of my attitude to some of the users, but quite frankly you deserve it.

I understand you want a nod to your compatriot and an idol to feel good about, but the truth is BOD is extremely overrated by you lot.

For a start, I'm not Irish so BOD is not my compatriot. Ergo, I am neutral and am stating my opinion. As a kid growing up to want to play in the back row he was not my idol either, that was Scott Quinnell.
Second, stop inferring what you want to infer, me answering the question of Nonu and BOD does not mean I don't rate Conrad Smith. I do rate him, very much so, just given the option I would go for BOD at 13, tell you what, just to placate you, I'll get CS on the bench and bring him on with 35 to go. Hows that.

I've highlighted the key words in a hope they can calm your tantrum

For a start, I'm not Irish so BOD is not my compatriot. Ergo, I am neutral and am stating my opinion. As a kid growing up to want to play in the back row he was not my idol either, that was Scott Quinnell.
Second, stop inferring what you want to infer, me answering the question of Nonu and BOD does not mean I don't rate Conrad Smith. I do rate him, very much so, just given the option I would go for BOD at 13, tell you what, just to placate you, I'll get CS on the bench and bring him on with 35 to go. Hows that.

I've highlighted the key words in a hope they can calm your tantrum

Check your rep I sent you 5 minutes ago, it clearly says it wasn't directed at you

Conrad's a starter, not a bencher, it wouldn't work :) BOD can get a substitute appearance, but given SBW's form, probably not.

The reason Ma Nonu is better than BOD is he could literally change a match at his choosing. Is BOD more consistent than Nonu - over his entire career yes. Nonu grew into becoming the polished rock he is today, BOD was very good from the get go in terms of consistent performances. Where Nonu has got to is unsurpassed, you really are struggling to find any centre in history now who is as safe as he is dangerous at no12. as nonu is.

BOD played his entire career at 93kg, Nonu played at 107kg. That is a staggering difference of 17kg extra weight that had to lug around in a team that expected his to do ever little job and extra possible to hold on to his position in the ABs.

When you understand NZ rugby, and you understand that is always a group of players playing out of their skin to take your position away from you and have a better ABs career, you realize just how special and legendary McCaw, Carter, Smith, Mealamu, Nonu, Woodcock careers have been.

Ma Nonu 2x world cup winner = enough said

Just have to weigh in and say wow to this post. Kournikova jus you got attention because she was a ride.

The reason Ma Nonu is better than BOD is he could literally change a match at his choosing. Is BOD more consistent than Nonu - over his entire career yes. Nonu grew into becoming the polished rock he is today, BOD was very good from the get go in terms of consistent performances. Where Nonu has got to is unsurpassed, you really are struggling to find any centre in history now who is as safe as he is dangerous at no12. as nonu is.

This is the most accurate statement so far, Nonu is now levels above where BOD ever was, but for a while Nonu was levels below BOD.

Who remembers Nonu playing that test getting the ball with no defenders near him and then just tripping over his own feet? I do
Who remembers all the yellow cards he gets? I do

BOD didn't do a lot of the dumb **** that Nonu did, also BOD didn't do a lot of the amazing stuff that Nonu did either and against such strong opposition.

I am not knocking Nonu as I feel he should be IRB player of the year for this year, however if we are honest every single one of us has felt frustration with his dumb play over a few seasons.

It has just been the last 3-4 that he has really grown into the beast he is now.

Got to love this thread, it's just so informative. I'd mistakenly believed BO'D to be a legend of the game; turns out he was just Dennis Hurley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts