• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

North American Professional Rugby

M Two One

Tra la la la
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Biarritz
Earlier today I met with some friends at my club and we were discussing how a professional league might look like in the United States. We came up with an idea for the Super 12, consisting of two clubs from Canada as well. Looking at how some of the bigger clubs are run, it seems obvious that a few wouldn't make the transition all too well. However, we've been hearing a lot about potential new owners for a few clubs like the Griffins, Barbarians and Warriors that would be willing to turn these clubs into powerhouses.

There has been talk about a league starting up by 2013, but from what we heard from both Chicago clubs is that it likely won't get underway until 2015 following the RWC. I think the earlier, the better, obviously. How would you like the see a league formed?

This is what we came up with:

BC Bears
Boston RFC
Charleston (franchise to be named)
Chicago Griffins
Chicago Lions
Denver Barbarians
Dallas Harlequins
New York (franchise to be named)
Ontario Blues
San Francisco Golden Gate
Seattle (franchise to be named)
Utah Warriors

Earlier today I met with some friends at my club and we were discussing how a professional league might look like in the United States. We came up with an idea for the Super 12, consisting of two clubs from Canada as well. Looking at how some of the bigger clubs are run, it seems obvious that a few wouldn't make the transition all too well. However, we've been hearing a lot about potential new owners for a few clubs like the Griffins, Barbarians and Warriors that would be willing to turn these clubs into powerhouses.

There has been talk about a league starting up by 2013, but from what we heard from both Chicago clubs is that it likely won't get underway until 2015 following the RWC. I think the earlier, the better, obviously. How would you like the see a league formed?

BC Bears
Boston RFC
Chicago Griffins
Chicago Lions
Denver Barbarians
Dallas Harlequins
Ontario Blues
Utah Warriors

Interesting idea. However, I think you could do with more Canadian teams as British Columbia could support teams in Victoria and Vancouver. Hell, rugby is popular in Newfoundland as well, St. Johns could support one too. Also, would there be import ratio's for certain clubs? What I mean is, would Canadian teams have to have a certain quota of players from Canada and vice versa for the United States? If so, one would think that the talent might be spread too thin on the U.S. side of things and perhaps too heavy with the Canadian teams (as with two Canadian teams, each franchise would essentially be Canada "A" while each team in the U.S. would essentially be the Eagles "E" side). If a North American professional league was to start, I'd organize it like this:

West Division
San Francisco
Denver
Victoria
Vancouver

East Division
St. Johns (since it's on the island, ferry issues could complicate things...if so, put a team in Oakville)
Ontario (based in Toronto)
Chicago
New York

With this set up (and the sharp drop off in talent in North America) teams would have relative parity. Also, with divisional teams being relatively close to eachother, travel costs would be quite cheap within the division. The only time a squad would have to get on a plane is to play games against non-division sides. Schedule it so teams in the division play eachother three times, while playing a home and away series with teams that aren't in the division, creating a 17 game season. After that, have the top two teams in each division play eachother with the winners squaring off in the city of the team that had the best overall record. Voila!

I think a set up like that is probably best going forward. It would allow Canada and the U.S. to jump into the top tier (and with a system like this I could see both teams being as good as Italy in eight years for sure) and be competitive at WC's.

Hopefully something like that could become reality someday.

Last edited:
We thought about Rock Rugby as a possibility actually, but I doubt—if a professional league were to be put together by 2015—that they would leave out one of the two Chicago teams or teams from Boston, Salt Lake City and San Francisco. We definitely need a combined professional league to expand the sport in both countries. If it is done right, and they don't go overboard too quickly, then it could work out in the time span that you've mentioned.

One problem going forward that we thought is how to attract better talent to play in the league. Perhaps it be best to bring in only one or two big names to help younger players learn from the best. I don't like what Major League Soccer is doing for that sport in our two countries, but something based on their concept applied to a rugby league should work.

Last edited:
I'd definitely support this in some format or another, it would be nice if there was a team a bit closer to where I live ... but that's just crazy talk :D

...I guess if it were to get going, and it was to be the success that every one hopes it will be, timing is everything

... If it was planned to launch around the time of the next world cup and leading up to the Brazil Olympics to maximise the exposure of these two events, there's a better chance of attracting bigger fan bases, and more players to the game ... and more money of course :D

I think that was the original intent with the Americas Rugby Championship. Canada already has the CRC, these 4 teams could be folded into an American league as I believe it is imperative Canada maintain 4 regional teams with their academies in order to develop talent. The BC Bears could play at the new Stadium being built in Langford. The Rock would draw 3k to 5k each home game guaranteed. I would like to see the Ontario Blues base themselves at a stadium like UofT varsity stadium... while the Wolfpack could play out of calgary or edmonton rugby park.

Ontario Blues - Home ground - Varsity Stadium
varsity.jpg

BC Bears - RC Langford Stadium

5753231959_f1e3d19ea4.jpg

Prairie Wolfpack - Calgary Rugby Park/Edmonton Rugby Park

Calgary Rugby Park_venue1627.jpg

NF Rock - Swilers Rugby Club

DSC04852.JPG

I'm thinking a spring/summer schedule would probably make the most sense as some of the more Northern markets would be unplayable from early December- early March. The Fall would also put it up against the NFL and CFL schedules, although the weather would be really nice as summers can get pretty stifling on the east coast and southern states.

I agree with you Rugger the four regions are key for Canadian development, the CRC has been a big success so far, and I really think its getting a pathway for national team selection and exposure to the rugby world. Jeremy Kyne and Frank Wlash made the RWC squad pretty much solely on their CRC form.

I agree that the regional system, despite not being the most entertainment-friendly, is essential to developing the game.

I agree that the regional system, despite not being the most entertainment-friendly, is essential to developing the game.

So far it has been very competitive, the Bears, Rock and Blues have all won and the Wolf Pack have been to finals as well. Next season will e intruiging as players won't be at the RWC although some could be with overseas clubs.

So far it has been very competitive, the Bears, Rock and Blues have all won and the Wolf Pack have been to finals as well. Next season will e intruiging as players won't be at the RWC although some could be with overseas clubs.
I didn't mean to imply that it is anything other then great rugby, just that the location of teams might not be the best in terms of the amount of support they could draw, but thinking about it now the teams are where the rugby is, and sticking teams only in major cities won't get anywhere.

I didn't mean to imply that it is anything other then great rugby, just that the location of teams might not be the best in terms of the amount of support they could draw, but thinking about it now the teams are where the rugby is, and sticking teams only in major cities won't get anywhere.

Sorry Deadmonton I misread your comment as saying the quality had been poor. Your right about the locations and frequently matches are moved around some of Ontario's games were in Oakville others in Burlington, etc.

BC Bears
Boston RFC
Chicago Griffins
Chicago Lions
Denver Barbarians
Dallas Harlequins
Ontario Blues
Utah Warriors

Is "BC" British Columbia?

Professional means these people would earn full salaries by playing the sport. Where would this money come from? Look at crowd attendance for free amateur rugby in the US. It consists of players wives and ex-players. They turn up because it's free.
I like the idea of professional rugby in America, but we need to look at developing our amateur game first.

Professional means these people would earn full salaries by playing the sport. Where would this money come from? Look at crowd attendance for free amateur rugby in the US. It consists of players wives and ex-players. They turn up because it's free.
I like the idea of professional rugby in America, but we need to look at developing our amateur game first.

The Lions and Griffins told their players that USA Rugby is in talks with sponsors about a professional league.

The Lions and Griffins told their players that USA Rugby is in talks with sponsors about a professional league.

I'll be interested to see what comes of this. If you hear anything keep us posted. I've heard rumours like that for the last 10 years. God, I sound like a horrible negative nancy over here...hahaha.

In terms of Canadian stadiums, please don't chose Langford.

It has the weakest rugby union in BC and Langford does not have the population to get ticket sales, and really is a pain to get too. The only way it's connected to Vancouver is by a ferry from Horshoe Bay (North of West Vancouver.) Worst place to hold it in Vancouver as it takes forever to get too and would
I'd stick with Thunderbird Stadium at UBC or the Brockton Oval. Even the makeshift Empire field is a better venue. Hopefully the Waterfront stadium will be built or they continue with the plan to convert BC place to grass field for Rugby and the Whitecaps.

new york franchise

Various fields are there in New york for franchise, Rugby is also one of the most playing game in America and also there are various franchise in this game. It is also a method of earning. New york franchise is a field in which many want to share.

Latest posts