• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

North vs South

• Thread starter springbok world champs
  • Start date
<div class='quotemain'> I wouldnt put it completly out of porportion. If I had to chose one HEC side to play any Super14, it would defenitly be Munster. Just something strange about that team, they could beat anyone.. weirdos. [/b]

You're joking, right?
[/b][/quote]
I back up EoinZero...there's something special about Munster. I'd throw them at any of the S14 sides.
I'm sick of hearing crap from the SH guys. Not really being from either side (although geographically living in the NH, America has tons of SH guys here in our rugby comps) I can clearly say that you need to look at things on a club by club, nation by nation basis and end the retarded NH v SH drama.

No, obviously Munster haven't heard about Saracens!

There is definitely something...different going on when the Crusaders have the *ahem* 'honour' of playing Saracens at Vicarage Road :D

It'd be kind of like British and Aussie squaddies playing the local Afghan rugby team at some run down stadium outside of Kabul :lol:

Well, the Auckland team at provincial level have beaten international teams. It was only 14 years when they beat the British Lions.

imo, they should have the Super 14 every 2 years, and a north vs south comp every we dont have the super14/hec

That wouldn't really work. It also belies a kind of confusion down in the SH there. I mean, what exactly is the Super 14 to you chaps in Australia, New Zealand and Wokka-Bokker-land? Because it seems like South Africa treat it like an International Club competition, Australia treat it like Wales and Ireland treat the Magners League and New Zealand treat it as a direct feeder to their international side.

I'm not saying either way is the wrong or correct way, but I want to see how you guys see your franchise competition.

not having lived in S.A for some time (6yrs) now its hard for me to comment, Currie Cup was, in its hey day equivilent to the Guiness Premiership/Magners League, the premier S.A tournament.

With the Super series this has obviously devalued the CC but from what I've heard the crowds are pulling away from S14 and CC is gaining alot more support especially with the poor S.A performance in S14 prior to this year. pu together with all that history too

From what I gather the south african public would rather measure our rugby status internationally with the national side as opposed to our club teams - a broad generalisation obviously but can anyone back home confirm or argue against this view?

As it has been rightly said before, S14 teams would most likely struggle in the NH in winter. Especially if they were playing at somewhere like Sixways. To be honest it's hard to call really because they're just different styles of rugby. Also the defensive work in European Club rugby tends to be much tighter than in the Southern Hemisphere. Every time I watch the S14 there are a horrendous number of missed tackles.

Let me break this down very simply for you. And team from the S14 would beat any team from the NH.

Except the Oussie sides. As they're pants.

Actually, now I think about it, a S14 team would struggle in the heady days of January at somewhere as vocal and roaring as Sixways. They'd still win but they'd make heavy weather of it one would expect.

Still S14 > HEC/GP I am afraid.

Actually, now I think about it, a S14 team would struggle in the heady days of January at somewhere as vocal and roaring as Sixways. They'd still win but they'd make heavy weather of it one would expect.

Still S14 > HEC/GP I am afraid.
[/b]

not sure about this bad weather factor, admittedly the S.A teams play on hard grounds and tend to struggle on the wetter muddier underfoot but the kiwi's play in some pretty atrocious weather, actually i would their winters aren't too dissimilar to the northern hemispheres

not sure about this bad weather factor, admittedly the S.A teams play on hard grounds and tend to struggle on the wetter muddier underfoot but the kiwi's play in some pretty atrocious weather, actually i would their winters aren't too dissimilar to the northern hemispheres
[/b]

I can't believe as a shark supporter I'm hearing you say that :huh:

Durban is in perpetual rainfall FFS, it's basically a hot and humid england.
Try playing in a bloody tropical rainstorm. ;)

Wait....."hot and humid"?! What the bloody hell are you talking about?! Be quiet, sit down and drink your shoddy Castle Lager you silly man!

I'm talking about -2 deg C frozen pitches and conditions! I remember having to wear three or four layers at many outings at Worcester Warriors in late December! And god help the guys playing on the coast at Newcastle's ground! Thats the kind of conditions I'm talking about.

What you guys experience when you come up here is only in October or early November when the weather is just about turning. We should schedule the internationals for January so that the SH teams can freeze their balls off properly like their Bokker and Digger ancestors did in the Western Front.

Wait....."hot and humid"?! What the bloody hell are you talking about?! Be quiet, sit down and drink your shoddy Castle Lager you silly man!

I'm talking about -2 deg C frozen pitches and conditions! I remember having to wear three or four layers at many outings at Worcester Warriors in late December! And god help the guys playing on the coast at Newcastle's ground! Thats the kind of conditions I'm talking about.

What you guys experience when you come up here is only in October or early November when the weather is just about turning. We should schedule the internationals for January so that the SH teams can freeze their balls off properly like their Bokker and Digger ancestors did in the Western Front.
[/b]

I think you're misunderstanding my mate Boggle here Pres, he's saying that Durban is like England for rain, but basically hot and humid in the rain instead of cold and dark in the rain.

personally i think in terms of viewer excitement the magners league is on par with that of the super 14. both leagues provide great games that are very entertaining.

now guinness premiership ohh lord....

personally i think in terms of viewer excitement the magners league is on par with that of the super 14. both leagues provide great games that are very entertaining.

now guinness premiership ohh lord....
[/b]

Do shut up. There are plenty of utterly dismal matches in the Magners League. Not every match featuring Welsh or Irish players is utterly fantastic suprisingly.

The GP produces some fantastic rugby. Mabye not on a wet Friday evening in January, but don't give me the old "it's all boring and ****" line.

double post - stupid browser

might as well use it now, I've watched more guinness premiership matches than magners league but I've never really watched a boring match in the GP, and I don't even support any of the teams. Infact I've never in my entire life witnessed a boring match. I think SH rugby has spoiled many of it's followers with a certain style of rugby that makes it harder to appreciate the intricacies, obstacles and pacticular style of the NH type match every single time you watch a game,but you just have to look closer or follow a particular aspect of the game to make it interesting.

Still, if there was a SH match and NH match on at the same time I wouldn' really be as confused as a cameleon on a smartie box to know how I'd be spending my time.

All the GP contains is boring mauls.[/b]

Bullshit.

Quite frankly if that's what you think then you haven't watched nearly enough of the competition.

Yes, it is for forward based than SH rugby, but you have to sit with your eyes closed not to see that there are many teams with talented sets of backs willing to run the ball.

Latest posts