• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Northampton Saints 2017 - 2018

mkersyshull

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
So, if we can continue to pick up our league form we're still in with a shout of top 4 (especially if we can beat Bath tonight). So this season isn't over yet, but it's still good fun too look ahead. Next season we have some new players coming in:

Rob Horne (centre) - Great signing, but is that the end for G Pisi?
Mitch Eadie (No 8) - Squad player? Clark replacement?
Jamal Ford-Robinson (Prop) - What side does he actually play? Waller replacement?
David Ribbans - has already joined but how's he looking?
Jake Ilnicki - is he hanging about? Does that leave as with 6 (half) decent props

and the big question, who will replace JJ Hanrahan and be starting/rotating/backup 10?

Lots to discuss

Even with Clark going, Saints have an over-abundance of flankers. Wood, Gibson, Harrison, Nutley and Ludlam are more than enough IMO. Eadie's signing probably means that Harrison is no longer needed to cover 8.

Ford-Robinson plays both sides of the scrum IIRC. I assume he's been signed to replace Ethan Waller, but then the rumours of Paul Hill to Sale haven't died out altogether.

Ludlam should look elsewhere IMO esp with the likes of the younger players such as Evans the curries and next season Underhill all getting/going to be in the 23 regularly.

Ludlam should look elsewhere IMO esp with the likes of the younger players such as Evans the curries and next season Underhill all getting/going to be in the 23 regularly.

I agree. On current evidence, Wood, Gibson, Harrison and Nutley are all ahead of him.

Also with other players fit and available for England and the opportunity to pick Underhill and possibly Fearns, I think Harrison and Wood will be less likely to make the EPS, so it's not even as though the competition will be away during the international windows.

I'm struggling to see how he's going to get the game time he needs to establish himself.

From what I've seen I would put Ludlam above Nutley, so is only an injury or international duty from being in the squad. All the talk is of new 9s and 10s. What do we need in you pack for next year?

From what I've seen I would put Ludlam above Nutley, so is only an injury or international duty from being in the squad. All the talk is of new 9s and 10s. What do we need in you pack for next year?

I think we need a new 10, a top quality loose head and the balls to play some more youngsters.

Edit:

My team would be

1 new loose head
2 Hartley
3 hill/ Brooke's
4 lawes
5 ribbons/ day
6 wood/ Gibson
7 T or Ludlow
8 Louis
9 groom
10 new 10
11 north
12 Stephenson
13 Horne
14 Foden
15 Malinder

Last edited:
I think we need a new 10, a top quality loose head and the balls to play some more youngsters.

Edit:

My team would be

1 new loose head
2 Hartley
3 hill/ Brooke's
4 lawes
5 ribbons/ day
6 wood/ Gibson
7 T or Ludlow
8 Louis
9 groom
10 new 10
11 north
12 Stephenson
13 Horne
14 Foden
15 Malinder

I'd also put Ludlam ahead of Nutley on ability/potential, but judging purely from appearances/bench spots, Nutley is ahead in Mallinder's mind.

Re. that team above - still looks weak in the second row. Day is close to being past it and Lawes is injury-prone and often away with England.

The other rumour doing the rounds is for Cobus Reinach having signed. Probably an upgrade on Groom at 9.

Is Malinder a full back or a 12? We might need to strengthen at full back.
I think Waller is solid at LHP, and yes it could be improved but it's not a priority.
Also there is Api at lock but agree strength needed.
Finally Foden has looked good on the wing the last few weeks and happy to keep him there

My wish list is:
A new 10 (priority number 1)
Full back (Really wouldn't mind Woodward from Bristol)
Second Row
Scrum half (if Dickson definitely leaves)
LHP

Interesting Ludlam wasn't with this lot of re-signings he signed a senior deal at the same time as Hutchinson a few others who where announced.

Honestly I can see him and Packman leaving.

Ludlam was a standout for England U20's a couple of season ago but despite that younger 7's have been getting more game time than him and impressing.
Underhill
Evans
Curry
Curry
And the current U20 7 looks promising aswell.

Mallinder needs to trust him or they will lose him.

Hasn't Packman already agreed a move to Gloucester?

Interesting Ludlam wasn't with this lot of re-signings he signed a senior deal at the same time as Hutchinson a few others who where announced.

Honestly I can see him and Packman leaving.

Ludlam was a standout for England U20's a couple of season ago but despite that younger 7's have been getting more game time than him and impressing.
Underhill
Evans
Curry
Curry
And the current U20 7 looks promising aswell.

Mallinder needs to trust him or they will lose him.

I honestly do not understand Saints' methods of developing young players. Ludlam should be getting game time, no question, but he's not been in the matchday 23 the last couple of weeks. I remember a couple of years ago when Saints went to Sale with a Dickinson/Clark second row pairing rather than playing Onojaife. Or the fact that, whatever you might think of his international potential, Harrison only started last year because Clark got injured.

It's a bit of a back-and-forth argument about playing players too soon. I'll agree that David Carr may have been a better QB if he hadn't been sacked 72 times as a rookie; however, I do think that in general good players are going to swim one way or another. Players can play in the Premiership at 19/20 and not get broken. Delaying that until 23/24 is not particularly productive in my mind, but what do I know?

I think it's about managing play time. You don't want youngsters playing week in week out because of burn out, but the need to be drip fed into the team. In my opinion (probably because of injuries) Mallinder played too much last season, and I think that's impacted his game his year

I think it's about managing play time. You don't want youngsters playing week in week out because of burn out, but the need to be drip fed into the team. In my opinion (probably because of injuries) Mallinder played too much last season, and I think that's impacted his game his year

I agree, but I think the drip feeding should be happening at 19/20/21, and then players establishing themselves and competing for 1st team places at 21/22/23. As I said, Harrison was being drip-fed until he was 23/24. Ludlam is 22 at the end of the year - again, he should already have been given a bit of a run out, but he's still in the drip feeding stage, and when the internationals come back he's not going to get any more gametime.

In my opinion he is 5th choice backrower (after Picamiles, Wood, Gibson and Harrison) and during international and resting players should be getting some game time (probably more often than not off the bench)

Depending how the next few weeks go, where we could find ourselves back in the race for top 4 or completely out of it. I'd expect him to get some more game time towards the end of the season as a kind of audition to see if he can play a bigger part next season

Ludlam does look like he needs bulking up a bit as well. Hopefully he'll have more of a role next year but I can't really see Weat dropping wood, Harrison or Gibson for him.

But it's all about rotation. We have a tendency to play players into the ground. We need more rotation

Interesting to read the above about J Mallinder blooding young players. Ludlam has shone at U20 level, as has Stephenson. Are they not getting the game time at the Saints?

Also, if they aren't giving these young players a chance why is Harry Mallinder getting more game time than the others? Is it because his potential is higher? Is he a much better player than Stephenson for example? Or is he only getting game time because of his Dad?

I'm not a Saints fan, but always want them to do well. A strong Saints is great for the Prem and for England...

Interesting to read the above about J Mallinder blooding young players. Ludlam has shone at U20 level, as has Stephenson. Are they not getting the game time at the Saints?

Also, if they aren't giving these young players a chance why is Harry Mallinder getting more game time than the others? Is it because his potential is higher? Is he a much better player than Stephenson for example? Or is he only getting game time because of his Dad?

I'm not a Saints fan, but always want them to do well. A strong Saints is great for the Prem and for England...

The only time young players get a chance is when we ace injured players and then the players who can cover that position are also injured.

That's the only reason Stephenson, Harrison, Malinder, Collins etc get game time.

I don't think our coaches trust youth.

Did anyone see the Blues match this morning? How was Piers Francis at 10?

Latest posts