• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Northampton Saints 2017 - 2018

Got to give Eadie a chance at 8 before saying we need a new one. I feel in the forwards it's the props that really need to step up

Eadie will get his chance but I still think there's a big drop off in quality compared to Picamoles. I just don't think we've replaced players like Manoa, Picamoles, Matfield, Pisi, Fotualii, Clark etc. with enough experience or quality. Harrison seems to be bearing the brunt of the ball carrying up front andas you say, the props aren't providing any platform to build on. In spite of all that though, 10 is where need some stability first and foremost.

TBH they owe us after the whole Lamb thing.
I really wanted him to fulfil his potential consistently in this country but it's taken him nearly ten years, umpteen clubs and a move to France to discover his form.

I really wanted him to fulfil his potential consistently in this country but it's taken him nearly ten years, umpteen clubs and a move to France to discover his form.
I think it's the move to France rather than any of the rest - and basically it's the change in attitude - the French are far happier with a mercurial talent at FH than any other country I can think of. Much happier to allow the rough, knowing that it's often needed to get the smooth.

Current talk is Ford till the end of the season as his contract in USA won't start till 2019

eight_col_160806SuperRugbyFinalKM026.jpg

Wasn't thinking of anyone in particular, which kind of proves the point.

Coaches on the ladder will see increasingly few clubs willing to take a punt on them for the top job when they can drop in a ready made overseas head coach. That becomes a viscous circle and is exactly what's been seen in football.

That's now more than half of AP clubs with a non English DoR / head coach. And of the English ones only Baxter is a remote possibility for the national job when that next comes up for grabs.

Thought you were a TRP reader (I'm not). Wasn't Ian Davies moaning in last week's issue about this? The same Ian Davies who turned his back on professional rugby when the going got tough and fell back on being a school teacher!

Thought you were a TRP reader (I'm not). Wasn't Ian Davies moaning in last week's issue about this? The same Ian Davies who turned his back on professional rugby when the going got tough and fell back on being a school teacher!

I was hoping for an English coach to be honest.

Another club announcement at 10:30 tomorrow morning.

North now replaced, looks good (on YouTube highlights) does anyone know much about him?

Also what else is now needed?
My first thought is a forwards coach (West out) and a backs/skills coach (heard something about Vesty)

North now replaced, looks good (on YouTube highlights) does anyone know much about him?

Also what else is now needed?
My first thought is a forwards coach (West out) and a backs/skills coach (heard something about Vesty)

He's a big fucker.

Tanky - Nadolo-esque winger... not quite at that level. But he's a big, quick bloke. Australian international.

Looks like a good signing and exactly what we need. Someone you can come in off his wings and get over the gain line. And mix that with the finishing I've seen online

Meh, he's a downgrade on North (not to say his form might be better).

But I don't think he's "exactly what you need"... you're problem isn't really just a lack of quality wingers!

Meh, he's a downgrade on North (not to say his form might be better).

But I don't think he's "exactly what you need"... you're problem isn't really just a lack of quality wingers!
I didn't mean it's all we need, but if you look at our backs, none of them have been any good and crashing over the gain line when the game slows down (maybe Burrell excluded when on form)

I also think we need (1) a ball carrying bulky back row/lock, (2) something to happen with the props, (3) a new forwards coach and (4) a skills coach

Backline next year
9 Reinach
10 Bigger
11 Naiaravoro
12 Francis
13 Horne
14 Collins/Nafi a pacey winger
15 Malinder

With Boyde's philosophy and Vesty coaching
Looks exciting

West leaving by mutual consent at end of season.
No great surprise with Boyd arriving guess he will bring a number of coaches with him.

Latest posts