• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Northampton Saints Vs Newport Gwent Dragons

S

Saint N Sinner

PGC Saints vs. Newport Gwent Dragons Preview
By Ben Hoomans - October 7 2005

One of Comeonyousaints.com's younger contributors, Ben Hoomans, takes a look at this weekends' Powergen Cup match, Northampton Saints against the Newport Gwent Dragons.

"Don't ask me about emotions in the Welsh dressing room. I'm someone who cries when he watches 'Little House on the Prairie". Former Welsh second row Bob Norster remembers that special Dragons atmosphere.

991128620206.jpg

Well, here come the Welsh again. After last year’s epic contests against Llanelli in the Heineken Cup, this weekend Northampton Saints prepare to meet a side that beat two-time European champions Leicester Tigers just a week ago. Yes, that’s right, Tigers were left crying in the rain. Newport Gwent Dragons, are not a side that is well known to me, but surely after last week, both Dragons and Saints are getting ready for a hefty clash of skill, wit, and might.

Northampton haven’t had much luck against the Welsh in past occasions, but I am sure that is all behind them as the new look side, are set to take the new and improved FG for a hell of a ride.

The last time these two sides met, Northampton beat them in a pre-season friendly last season. A 35-11 win gave us all hope for that season but lets not dwell on the events that happened in the months to follow…it would be best all round.

With the arrival of top international stars Carlos Spencer, Sam Harding and Sean Lamont, Saints are looking for Europe more than anything, well apart from improvement and getting the spirit of the Saints back up and running.

I think its fair to say, Budge and Grays have done a remarkable job so far, maybe not so at start of season but, and I am sure you’re sick of hearing this…â€this side is new, and needs time to gel togetherâ€

The back-line is dripping all over with class and I must say when everything clicks, as it is starting to do, it’s the best rugby I have seen. But then, I’ve not seen that much!

991128620261.jpg

Saturday used to be a day I would not stop thinking about, just waiting for the next game. This week I have been to bouncing all around the place with excitement just at the thought of seeing the boys down at FG.

And why wouldn’t I? With Ben, Sean, Carlos, Bruce, and Sharky amongst others in the team things can only get better and better, but what about the pack? Sam Harding for instance 2 minutes into game, first touch, first try. Welcome to England Sam!

As for the front 8, we welcome another hefty player, basically to replace James Percival, who suffered a neck injury before the season started, a Frenchman, recruited from Stade Toulousain. Welcome, David Gerard!

These are the teams the coaches revealed on Thursday;

SAINTS

15 BRUCE REIHANA (Capt)
14 SEAN LAMONT
13 Jon Clarke
12 DAVID QUINLAN
11 BEN COHEN
10 CARLOS SPENCER
9 MARK ROBINSON
1 TOM SMITH
2 Dan Richmond
3 Chris Budgen
4 SELBORNE BOOME
5 Damien Browne
6 STEVE THOMPSON
7 Darren Fox
8 Mark Soden

16 Dylan Hartley
17 Brett Sturgess
18 DAVID GERARD
19 SAM HARDING
20 Johnny Howard
21 Rhodri Davies
22 Seamus Mallon

DRAGONS

15 Sione Tuipulotu, 14 Gareth Wyatt, 13 Hal Luscombe, 12 Jon Bryant, 11 Ben Breeze, 10 Ceri Sweeney, 9 Gareth Baber, 1 David Maddocks,
2 Andrew Brown, 3 Rhys Thomas, 4 Luke Charteris, 5 Peter Sidoli, 6 Richard Bryan,
7 Jamie Ringer, 8 Michael Owen ©.

Reps - Leighton Jones, Adam Black, Ian Gough, Jason Forster, Kevin Morgan, Craig Warlow, Gareth Cooper.

Last week was great weekend for both sides, but unfortunately one will leave with the feeling of going up and back down like a roller coaster ride. We all know how that feels.

We cannot underestimate Newport. Beating Leicester last Friday is all the reminder we need. If we don’t start quickly we could be in for a rough ride. However, with the talent we have and with confidence growing I’ll say...

Saints to win by 15.

Originally posted by loratadine@Oct 8 2005, 04:52 AM
very fluent
Unlike the Dragons' play!

BBBBBAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGG!!!!!!!!

That's good satire.

<

I saw bits of this match on a grainy SC4. Good thing the X-Factor was on ITV.

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Oct 10 2005, 01:49 PM
I saw bits of this match on a grainy SC4. Good thing the X-Factor was on ITV.
I presume you didn't see Robinson's try? Or Reihana's? Or Spencer's magic? Or Boome's crunching tackles? Or the majority of the match generally?

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Oct 10 2005, 01:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Webby @ Oct 10 2005, 01:51 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-wigan_rlfc
@Oct 10 2005, 01:49 PM
I saw bits of this match on a grainy SC4.  Good thing the X-Factor was on ITV.
I presume you didn't see Robinson's try? Or Reihana's? Or Spencer's magic? Or Boome's crunching tackles? Or the majority of the match generally? [/b]
Nah, the Welsh was twisting my Melon man.

It was sheer brilliance, I haven't seen rugby like that in months, maybe years.

Lora....SHUT UP!!

I was talking about club, but you know that didn't you.

You where just trying to be funnny, but didn't work. did it??

Latest posts