• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Northampton to release 12 players

C

Cymro

Northampton Saints have confirmed that 12 players will be leaving Franklin's Gardens following the club's promotion to the Premiership.

The most high-profile departure is New Zealand scrum-half Mark Robinson.

First-team flankers Darren Fox and Paul Tupai, prop Chris Budgen and lock Christian Short are also on the move.

They are joined by Damien Browne, Simon Emms, Johnny Howard, Karl Rudzki and Ian Vass, plus senior academy members Barney Purbrook and David Smith.

Saints director of rugby Jim Mallinder said: "Every player this season has played their part in the promotion back to the Premiership.

"Competition for places has been fierce and standards have been maintained throughout the season. "I would like to thank each player who is leaving for their efforts and wish them the best for the future."

Northampton have already moved to sign Ben Foden and Ignacio Fernandez Lobbe from Sale Sharks and Ulster forward Neil Best.

But they look set to lose out in the race to sign South Africa's World Cup-winning second-row Victor Matfield. [/b]

Fox, Sharky and David Smith are about the only ones I might have liked to see retained. The others are all either past it, injured too often or simply not good enough in the first place.

I really can't understand releasing David Smith. as Webby said though it's only those 3 who were worth retaining.

The rest are meh.

I read that Short has signed with Brive while Damien Browne rejected a new contract in favour of a move to an unnamed French club.

Has Foden been signed to play scrumhalf or fullback?

Interesting wont Northampton have plenty of scrum half's? [/b]

Well we've released all 3 of our senior scrum halves from this season and brought 3 in. So no, we should have just a nice number. Foden should be first choice, with Dickinson and Dickens battling in behind him. Also got a young talent in John Brake who has spent the season gaining experience with England Sevens, and doing a pretty decent job by the sound of things.

Latest posts