TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_56730619_levigetty.jpg

Nottingham have signed Pacific Islands forward Filipo Levi, subject to international clearance.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15744440.stm

Meadow Lane is big enough for the Premiership, though, isn't it? I'm sure it's bigger than Edgely Park, having been to both.

Good signing for Nottingham. Hopefully we (Can I call them 'we'? Nottingham being my birth town, I have more of an affinity to them than the Ospreys, really) can kick on and now and start to climb the table.

Yeah, it's bigger than most Aviva stadiums at around 20k-ish

Nottingham probably have the biggest fanbase/gates of the RFU Championship (minus (I think/presume) the relegated Aviva teams) - Would like to see them do well, being from vaguely near there :p

I have a feeling that London Welsh said, last season, they had provisions in place to ground share with a football team if they were to be promoted

Well I am from Nottingham and watch them from time to time and must say that yes Meadow lane is a nice ground but Nottingham is a football town with 2 professional teams in a quite small city, there is also a good cricket side and a very popular Ice hockey team. There are lots of good rugby clubs in the area with Paviors playing at a high level but Nottingham rugby need to get real, they are not going to get the support or money (they nearly folded last year) to be a premiership club and they should except that.

Looks like Pirates and Plymouth have permission to build a stadium: "Stadium outline application approved 14 votes to 4". No good this season, but next time around perhaps.

Leeds will be back up this year anyway.

I don't think Leeds will - they've definitely improved since the start of the season (thanks to Sale's academy players ;)), but I don't know if they've improved that much to move up the table much

Then again, it doesn't matter where you finish in the table as most of the teams make the play offs anyway, so it's only your form at the end of the season that counts anyway

Well I am from Nottingham and watch them from time to time and must say that yes Meadow lane is a nice ground but Nottingham is a football town with 2 professional teams in a quite small city, there is also a good cricket side and a very popular Ice hockey team. There are lots of good rugby clubs in the area with Paviors playing at a high level but Nottingham rugby need to get real, they are not going to get the support or money (they nearly folded last year) to be a premiership club and they should except that.

Paviours? All about the Corsairs, mate. Though I agree, having been to a Panthers game a couple of weeks ago, there's a far bigger crowd in for that and a far better atmosphere, even in what was a small mid-week match, than any Nottingham match I've ever seen, although if they're in the Premiership, that may well change.

You mean Boots? and they play about 4 tiers down from Paviors and looking at the results in the rugby paper dont seem to have played a league game yet.

Regarding the premiership I honestly dont think there is the interest in Nottingham for it, most of the clubs in the area are struggling for players with some teams only putting one side out. That said the junior/mini rugby in the area is thriving but they are a long way from the days when the likes of Moore, Rees, Webb and White made up the team.

You mean Boots? and they play about 4 tiers down from Paviors and looking at the results in the rugby paper dont seem to have played a league game yet.

Yeah, but I grew up going through the Youth set-up there. Pavs were our local rivals. Hate 'em, I do.

Nottingham have now signed Russia's best player at the World Cup Victor Gresev

http://rurugby.ru/component/content/article/1-news/479-gresev

note: Gresev has a clause in his contract meaning he can move as soon as any Premiership, Top 14, Pro12 side want him

so now in their squad they have five internationals (more than Newcastle)
Ayoola Erinle - England - 2 caps
Victor Gresev - Russia - 37 caps
Sione Kalamafoni - Tonga - 18 caps
James Arlidge - Japan - 32 caps
Filipo Levi - Samoa - 25 caps

they also have several players who have been signed from top tier rugby such as Nic Rouse and Rhys Crane (Sale), Brent Wilson (Newcastle) and Sean Romans (Highlanders)

they've made lots of signings mid season, is the disruption in the team the reason they are mid table? when on paper they should be in the top two or three of the league

Last edited by a moderator:
Gresev is a fantastic signing for them

I'm still surprised no Premiership/Pro12/Top14 club picked him up
I know Sale were interested pre-season but then we signed one of Powell or Vernon instead

Romans is a good signing: he distributes well, and does the basics pretty well too. Not surprised he signed overseas after missing the Highlanders, but I would have quite liked it if he remained with the Highlanders wider training squad, as it would have been handy to have him available should Cowan or Smith get injured.

Levi came on to the scene with the Otago Hihghlanders as a hard hitting defender. He was quite a standout lock when he first came about on the pro scene now hes pretty quiet. I hope he goes well with his new club.

Latest posts