• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] Barbarians vs. South Africa (05/11/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
attachment.php
attachment.php
South%20Africa.png

Venue: Wembley Stadium,London
Time: 15:00 CAT (SA, GMT +2)​

Teams

Barbarians: 15 Melani Nanai (Blues), 14 Matt Faddes (Highlanders), 13 Seta Tamanivalu (Crusaders & New Zealand), 12 Richard Buckman (Highlanders & Panasonic), 11 Taqele Naiyaravoro (Waratahs, Panasonic & Australia), 10 Robert du Preez (Stormers), 9 Andy Ellis (Crusaders, Kobelco Steelers & New Zealand), 1 Reggie Goodes (Hurricanes), 2 Akker van der Merwe (Lions), 3 Paddy Ryan (Waratahs & Australia), 4 Martin Muller (Lions), 5 Michael Fatialofa (Hurricanes), 6 Brad Shields (Hurricanes), 7 Jordan Taufua (Crusaders), 8 Luke Whitelock (Highlanders & New Zealand)

Substitutes: 16 Andrew Ready (Reds), 17 Schalk van der Merwe (Montpellier), 18 Toby Smith (Rebels & Australia), 19 Sam Carter, (Brumbies & Australia), 20 Ruan Ackermann (Lions), 21 Nic Stirzaker (Rebels), 22 Richard Mo'unga (Crusaders), 23 Luke Morahan (Force & Australia)

South Africa: 15 Jesse Kriel, 14 Sergeal Petersen, 13 Francois Venter, 12 Ruan Janse van Rensburg, 11 Jamba Ulengo, 10 Patrick Lambie (c), 9 Rudy Paige, 8 Nizaam Carr, 7 Teboho Mohoje, 6 Roelof Smith, 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4 Rudolf Snyman, 3 Lourens Adriaanse, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Replacements: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Lizo Gqoboka, 18 Trevor Nyakane, 19 Eben Etzebeth, 18 Jean-Luc du Preez, 21 Piet van Zyl, 22 Tiaan Schoeman, 23 Ruan Combrinck

Last edited:
We South Africans are always interested in the new up and coming players. Often discarding established players for the uncertainty of possible potential.
Many people who say we should only pick from South Africa will get a taste of what its like. I am rather excited about the first friendly.
The du Preez twins are going to become Springboks sooner rather than later and its great that Jean Luc has been included.

The team i would like to see?
15.Jesse Kriel
14.Sergeal Petersen
13.Francois Venter
12.Rohan Janse van Rensburg
11.Ruan Combrinck
10.Pat Lambie
09. Faf de Klerk
08. I dont know who to pick here
07.Jean-Luc du Preez
06.Roelof Smit ( i dont know this guy well, only included him because there is not much choice)
05.Pieter-Steph du Toit
04.Lood de Jager
03.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Lourens Adriaanse (Not much choice, would have preferred someone else someone younger like Thomas the Tank Engine)[/FONT]
02. Malcolm Marx
01.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lizo Gqoboka (Prop depth is killing us.)[/FONT]

I like the team. Almost the same as the team I said I would like to see on a different thread. The only player I don't like on your team is Lood de Jager...

My team:

15. Jesse Kriel
14. Ruan Combrinck
13. Francois Venter
12. Rohan Janse Van Rensburg
11. Sergeal Petersen
10. Patrick Lambie
9. Faf de Klerk
8. Nizaam Carr
7. Jean-Luc du Preez
6. Roelof Smit
5. Pieter-Steph Du Toit
4. Eben Etzebeth
3. Lourens Adriaanse
2. Adriaan Strauss
1. Tendai Mtawarira

Barbarians to keep their winning run going against Boks.

I like the team. Almost the same as the team I said I would like to see on a different thread. The only player I don't like on your team is Lood de Jager...

My team:

15. Jesse Kriel
14. Ruan Combrinck
13. Francois Venter
11. Sergeal Petersen
10. Patrick Lambie
9. Faf de Klerk
8. Nizaam Carr
7. Jean-Luc du Preez
6. Roelof Smit
5. Pieter-Steph Du Toit
4. Eben Etzebeth
3. Lourens Adriaanse
2. Adriaan Strauss
1. Tendai Mtawarira

Strauss is not going to play in the Baabaas match... Well at least that is what the media is saying.

But I think we should use this match as some form of preparation match for the England game. AC should pick as many players as possible that will in all likelihood feature in the matchday 23 against England.

I would love to see that back line that you guys are saying should play, but we both know that it's a bit light of colour...

Strauss is not going to play in the Baabaas match... Well at least that is what the media is saying.

But I think we should use this match as some form of preparation match for the England game. AC should pick as many players as possible that will in all likelihood feature in the matchday 23 against England.

I would love to see that back line that you guys are saying should play, but we both know that it's a bit light of colour...
Yeah back then when I posted that team I did not know about Strauss. I agree with you, we should try and play the guys that are going to play against England (we need the training).
Unfortunately colour is always a problem.... Can maybe move Combrinck to 15 and use Jamba Ulengo at 14

My team:

15. Jesse Kriel
14. Ruan Combrinck
13. Francois Venter
11. Sergeal Petersen
10. Patrick Lambie
9. Faf de Klerk
8. Nizaam Carr
7. Jean-Luc du Preez
6. Roelof Smit
5. Pieter-Steph Du Toit
4. Eben Etzebeth
3. Lourens Adriaanse
2. Adriaan Strauss
1. Tendai Mtawarira

Agree with the part in bold completely. Etsebeth is a much better player than de Jager. But why risk probably the best player in our team vs the barbarians. Rest the guy for when it matters because we sure are going to need him.

Agree with the part in bold completely. Etsebeth is a much better player than de Jager. But why risk probably the best player in our team vs the barbarians. Rest the guy for when it matters because we sure are going to need him.

Yes makes sense to rest him. I am just scared our number 1 picks are going to be rusty against England

EDIT: I don't want to double post so I will edit my post with the Barbarians team.

15 Melani Nanai (Blues)
14 Matt Faddes (Highlanders)
13 Seta Tamanivalu (Crusaders & New Zealand)
12 Richard Buckman (Highlanders & Panasonic)
11 Taqele Naiyaravoro (Waratahs, Panasonic & Australia)
10 Robert du Preez (Stormers)
9 Andy Ellis (Crusaders, Kobelco Steelers & New Zealand)
8 Luke Whitelock (Highlanders & New Zealand)
7 Jordan Taufua (Crusaders)
6 Brad Shields (Hurricanes)
5 Michael Fatialofa (Hurricanes)
4 Martin Muller (Lions)
3 Paddy Ryan (Waratahs & Australia)
2 Akker van der Merwe (Lions)
1 Reggie Goodes (Hurricanes)

Reserves: Andrew Ready, Schalk van der Merwe, Toby Smith, Sam Carter, Ruan Ackermann, Nic Stirzaker, Richie Mo'unga

Last edited:
The Barbarians team looks more than decent. The forwards on paper is up there with some top international sides. As we know these invitational teams struggle to perform to their potential because of the lack of training together.
If South Africa loses this game not only will it look bad but it will surely affect the players morale and confidence for the rest of the tour. We have to win this for the sake of getting back into a winning culture.
Waiting now for the team to be announced to see how we might fare.

The Barbarians team looks more than decent. The forwards on paper is up there with some top international sides. As we know these invitational teams struggle to perform to their potential because of the lack of training together.
If South Africa loses this game not only will it look bad but it will surely affect the players morale and confidence for the rest of the tour. We have to win this for the sake of getting back into a winning culture.
Waiting now for the team to be announced to see how we might fare.

When is the Springboks team going to be announced? Don't we usually by this time know the team.

EDIT: Okay never mind... squad is announced.
Link: http://www.rugby365.com/countries/south-africa/75880-lambie-to-start-at-flyhalf

15 Jesse Kriel
14 Sergeal Petersen
13 Francois Venter
12 Ruan Janse van Rensburg
11 Jamba Ulengo
10 Patrick Lambie (captain)
9 Rudy Paige
8 Nizaam Carr
7 Teboho Mohoje
6 Roelof Smith
5 Pieter-Steph du Toit
4 Rudolf Snyman
3 Lourens Adriaanse
2 Malcolm Marx
1 Tendai Mtawarira

Replacements:
16 Bongi Mbonambi
17 Lizo Gqoboka
18 Trevor Nyakane
19 Eben Etzebeth
18 Jean-Luc du Preez
21 Piet van Zyl
22 Tiaan Schoeman
23 Ruan Combrinck

Last edited:
I would have liked to have seen Kolbe at FB, given that this match is a friendly. Incidentally, I agree with Mallett, that long term, Kolbe should be groomed as a SH. He wouldn't have to take as many high balls, and he would be deadly there, side stepping opposition forwards.

Overall, a pretty good, young team. I hope Bongi Mbonambi gets at least 30 minutes. Without Strauss, there is an opportunity to give extended game time to both rookie hookers.

Last edited:
This team will have the same make up as the barbarians in the sense that the players wont know each other that well. This centre pairing looks good and it should have been this centre combination against England too. Would have liked it if du Preez got a start ahead of Mohoje but it is what it is i guess.

Overall I am happy with this team. a Few small changes I would of liked, but that will just be nitpicking.

Weird that I like this team more than our main team we have been choosing.

This team will have the same make up as the barbarians in the sense that the players wont know each other that well. This centre pairing looks good and it should have been this centre combination against England too. Would have liked it if du Preez got a start ahead of Mohoje but it is what it is i guess.

I get the feeling that this team of ours, is something like a dress rehearsal for next year... It's probably one of the youngest sides we have ever fielded?

I get the feeling that this team of ours, is something like a dress rehearsal for next year... It's probably one of the youngest sides we have ever fielded?

I agree, perhaps barring Beast. Is there a RWC 2019, possible team thread anywhere, out of interest?

What happened to Faf? Not in the 23 at all. I really hope they did not cast him out of the national team after "that" AB game.

What happened to Faf? Not in the 23 at all. I really hope they did not cast him out of the national team after "that" AB game.

I think AC is resting him for the match against England. Same thing he is doing with Adriaan Strauss.

Van Rensburg international debut? I'll try to watch this out of curiousity of how he gets on without Faf, Jantjies & Ackerman. Surely there is one Lions back that can play to their potential for the Springboks!?

i like ulengo and i think that he will be a fine international winger one day(like a year or two from now, he's already 26 so he doesn't have too many years in front of him)... but i'd rather see combrinck paired with serg against the baabaas just cause i think they would be more exciting

Last edited:
i like ulengo and i think that he will be a fine international winger one day(like a year or two from now, he's already 26 so he doesn't have too many years in front of him)... but i'd rather see combrinck paired with serg against the baabaas just cause i think they would be more exciting

AC might be doing the same thing with Combrinck as with Etzebeth. "Resting" them but still giving them game time.

I am just happy that I will be watching a Springbok match again. Will be my first one since the first match against Argentina in the RC.

Latest posts