• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] Barbarians vs. South Africa (05/11/2016)

Nothing better than watching a Barbarians side that is clicking on attack.

- - - Updated - - -

What a game wonderful stuff.

Barbarians schooling SA!!!!

Something England should take from this is to really hit SA at the breakdown.

For the first time i now support a possible rule of only picking home based players. Even though the game was a draw they seemed much more exciting and committed. This SA team was essentially also put together for this game like the Barbarians. Next week when the first teamers come back and we look **** again then the coach should seriously consider his selections. These young players gave us hope again.

EDIT: AC hinted that Jamba Ulengo might stay on. I dont know if Sergeal Petersen was already announced in the rest of the tour squad but if we could only pick one wing to add for the rest of the tour it should be Petersen he was bounced by the big guys but made up for it with pace and attacking creativity.
With Ulengo its the same story. Was very good on attack but directly caused another try by the Barbarians. Nothing that cant be worked on. With our new centres the wings finally got to run a bit.

Last edited:
You guys weren't kidding that this was a cracker. Extended highlights below. Greenwood deserves enormous credit. Too early to say SA letting their hair down might be a result of this national conference thing they had? Mohoje running around like a Fijian with the ball in one hand is something we would not see as recently as last month.

https://youtu.be/6s6yP-iE-ZA

I'm not a fan of composite teams like Barbarians and Lions now there are more competitive international sides, but that looked great fun. Baabaas vs Fiji in Belfast next week should be a screamer.

I take it the game being at Wembley was a switch for Twickenham getting an NFL game from Wembley?

For the first time i now support a possible rule of only picking home based players. Even though the game was a draw they seemed much more exciting and committed. This SA team was essentially also put together for this game like the Barbarians. Next week when the first teamers come back and we look **** again then the coach should seriously consider his selections. These young players gave us hope again.

EDIT: AC hinted that Jamba Ulengo might stay on. I dont know if Sergeal Petersen was already announced in the rest of the tour squad but if we could only pick one wing to add for the rest of the tour it should be Petersen he was bounced by the big guys but made up for it with pace and attacking creativity.
With Ulengo its the same story. Was very good on attack but directly caused another try by the Barbarians. Nothing that cant be worked on. With our new centres the wings finally got to run a bit.

Sergeal was already included for the rest of the tour, yes.

Jamba Ulengo and Rohan Janse van Rensburg has been asked to remain with the Boks. Jesse Kriel is on his way back home after injuring his leg in the Barbarians game.

It was very entertaining indeed! Luckily the Poms don't have a giant winger that will get a lot of space to run with. Nayaravoro was a menace!

This was a very exciting match to watch. It was much more exciting when AC actually chose players that are on form compared to the likes of DDA. I was impressed with Rudy Paige for once.

But at the end of the day we still played horribly. A lot of mistakes that should not be made by a team that was 2nd best in the world not to long ago. I understand it was a new team that did not have a lot of time to practice, but even then some of the mistakes we made. Our two wings knocked the ball on so many times that I almost broke the tv. The good I take out of this is that a lot of the young talent proved themselves. Very happy for Rohan Janse van Rensburg and Jamba Ulengo.

I don't think I will be able to watch us play against England. Making way to many mistakes.

I never imagined this would be South Africa's best result in the whole window.

When was the last time South Africa won away from home?

I never imagined this would be South Africa's best result in the whole window.

When was the last time South Africa won away from home?

Friday, October 30, 2015. The Bronze medal match at the 2015 RWC v Argentina

Interestingly...

the last time they won away from home NOT on a neutral ground was Saturday, August 15th 2015, in a RWC Warm Up match also v Argentina at Velez Sarsfield

the last time they won a competition match away from home NOT on a neural ground was August 24, 2014 again v Argentina at Salta

Last edited:

Latest posts