• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] England vs. Fiji (19/11/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
England.png
attachment.php
Fiji.png

Venue: Twickenham
Time: 16:30 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Personally, I'd look to trying to change things up whilst maintaining consistency (no more than 1 change per unit):
Mako, George, Cole
Launchbury, Attwood
Robshaw, Vunipola, Wood

Robson, Ford
Te'o, Daly
May, Brown, Roko

Marler, Hartley, Sinckler, Lawes, Hughes
Youngs, Farrell, Joseph

So 5 changes:
George needs to start a match at some stage, and if not against Fiji then when?.
Attwood has earned the chance for Eddie to see him in a full international; besides, Lawes must be knacked; Billy and Robshaw are the only forwards to have played more rugby in this squad, and he is only just back from injury - only to play 80 minutes against SA, some of it out of position.
Wood, we have to just accept Wood is the last man standing, and that Hughes is now officially English.

Robson to give Ford the ball, preferably where he can catch it easily, and with a little bit of time to make actual decisions.
Te'o to offer George some direct options as well (and a get-out-of-jail card for when nothing's on). Equally, the pressure will be on George, if he misses his kicks, or crumbles under pressure with good ball and options outside him, then it's time to start Farrell at 10 and put George on the bench for a while.
Roko simply HAS to be given a chance; he's just better than Yarde in every aspect of playing rugby.

Telegraph reporting Marler, George, Sinckler, Nathan Hughes, Te'o and Roko could get starts.

I think Hartly will get a rest having just come back, I'd say same for Lawes but I guess Eddie think's he doesn't need it. Be interested to know if Hughes comes in at 6 or Billy gets a rest at 8. Te'o and Roko are the obvious ones, Yarde was poor and we know Eddie have been wanting to try Te'o for a while.

EJ has apparently made it clear there will be no easy caps handed out. So I don't expect much to change at all. Roko has to be given the start over a shaky Yard, but apart from that I rekon he'll keep everything else as is. The only difference being the bringing on of subs earlier in the game.

I think EJ wants to get plenty of game time under the starters belts before facing a battle hardened Aussie team. That's the critical game. Beat them again, and we really can start to stand proud as the world No. 2. Lose and the psychological damage may be significant with doubts creeping in around consistency etc.

The only reason I could see for making changes would be to protect players from an inevitably bruising encounter with the rock hard islanders. But as EJ is happy to risk players in training I can't see him shying away from it for matches.

I think this game is an opportunity for us to practice playing very structured rugby against a team who like to play fast and loose. Something we will need to do if we are ever to topple NZ. Can we make teams play our game. We managed it well against a poor SA. More practice still needed.

My last aside team I'd like to see.

1.cole 2. George 3. Vunipola
4. Launch 5. Laws
6. Robshaw 7. Hughes 8. Billy
9. Care
10. Ford
11. May
12. Teo
13. Daly
14. Roko
15. Goode (just for a change)

Didn't really get a good look at Teo when he made it on, seemed a little anonymous. Would like to see what he can do with a decent chunk of game time. Would also be interesting to see how Ford does when playmaking is down to him alone, assuming that Teo isn't a playmaker. I can't see it happening though. Also would be nice to George get a proper run out.

I think giving Haley a start could be worth a shot, he certainly seems to be the clear future option. Playing against Fiji the forwards should win decent possession to give the backs room to play. Although with Te'o likely to start then it might make more sense to play Goode to have a second playmaking option in the backline.

Last edited:
I'm all up for consistency in team rather than deliberately weakening ourselves, only caveat is any player with a ****le should be dropped for rest.

Looking forward if we do lose to Australia or Agentina I'm not worried about the long term. We're very injury depleted to the point Wood is playing. Lose both matches badly and I'd start worrying.

Hoping
1) Marler
2) Hartley
3) Sink
4) Attwood
5) Launchbury
6) Robshaw
7) Wood
8) Hughes
9) Care
10) Faz
11) Roko
12) T'eo
13) Daly
14) May
15) Haley

16) George
17) Genge
18) Cole
19) Beaumont
20) Harrison/Evans
21) Youngs
22) Ford
23) JJ/Slade

Robshaw and Wood prob need game time together.

Rest Vunipolas and Lawes.

Give some rotation in the backs.

Brown is looking out of sorts so either play him to help confidence or rest him completely IMO.

Hoping
1) Marler
2) Hartley
3) Sink
4) Attwood
5) Launchbury
6) Robshaw
7) Wood
8) Hughes
9) Care
10) Faz
11) Roko
12) T'eo
13) Daly
14) May
15) Haley

16) George
17) Genge
18) Cole
19) Beaumont
20) Harrison/Evans
21) Youngs
22) Ford
23) JJ/Slade

Robshaw and Wood prob need game time together.

Rest Vunipolas and Lawes.

Give some rotation in the backs.

Brown is looking out of sorts so either play him to help confidence or rest him completely IMO.

Quite like this team, although who is Haley? Heard mentioned a few times but can't place him at all. Who does he play for? I assume he's a 15 in AP? If so would be great to see what the future of that shirt might look like. We desperately need someone to start stepping up.

Beaumont isn't in the squad
Didn't he replace someone?

My Team
1.Marler 2.George 3.Cole
4.Launchbury 5.Attwood
6.Robshaw 7.Beaumont
8.Hughes
9.Care 10.Ford
12.Teo 13.Daly
11.May 14.Rokodugni 15.Brown

16.Hartley 17.Vunipola 18.Sinkler
19.Wood 20.Vunipola 21.Youngs
22.Farrell 23.Joseph

Loads of changes but that is based on a couple of things.
The scrum wasn't good enough, Marler and Attwood should secure it up and I remember the RWC when they did beat us at scrum time. At lineout time we can really attack them with 3 great jumpers, and the light weight back row can keep up around the park.
Our team must protect Ford better, he got ran over literally once, he can't take the punishment. Teo and Beaumont need to help him out.

BBC saying Dave Attwood ruled out of Fiji and sent back to Bath. Also Billy Vunipola is a doubt which might explain the Nathan Hughes rumoured selection.

Well then Beaumont will be called in too replace him. As he was for Lawes.

Hughes getting his first start and it's against the country of his birth/the country he was vice captain of the A side.
Weird.

Hughes getting his first start and it's against the country of his birth/the country he was vice captain of the A side.
Weird.

It really does make a mockery of the system. Personally I don't like it.

Feels a bit weird doesn't it. However - the rules are what they are, my personal opinion is that although I wish they didn't allow England to pick Hughes, the fact that they do means no one should hold it against England or Hughes.

As an analogy, I also think you shouldn't be allowed to restart a driving maul after it's stopped - but that doesn't mean I want to see England refusing to do so out of principle!

Feels a bit weird doesn't it. However - the rules are what they are, my personal opinion is that although I wish they didn't allow England to pick Hughes, the fact that they do means no one should hold it against England or Hughes.

As an analogy, I also think you shouldn't be allowed to restart a driving maul after it's stopped - but that doesn't mean I want to see England refusing to do so out of principle!

Yes the rules are what they are, but it doesn't stop them from stinking and of need of change, nothing against Hughes personally, but yes it just doesn't feel right that he's lining up against the country of his birth where he was vice captain of the A side. I wonder if he will do a Stander (when he knocked out Lambie with his big behind) and go a bit over the top just to prove he is now an England player, if indeed he plays/starts.

Didn't realise Hughes had got so far in Fijian rugby (vice captain of the A-side). Fiji by 5 because of this fact.

Beaumont was in the squad as injury cover to Lawes. Not unusual to see guys called up as injury cover then stay around when they guy they were covering gets back though.

Happy with whatever Jones does at this point (results pending). Bit crazy to have a coach where there's not much to question over the selections and you're pretty sure they'll turn out alright when you're questioning them anyway.

Latest posts