• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] Fiji vs. Japan (26/11/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Fiji.png
attachment.php
Japan.png

Venue: Stade de la Rabine
Time: 16:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

I consider this the test of the week. The flair players on both sides will have lots of room to work with. Mouthwatering!

I've been very impressed with Japan's progression in the first three games under Joseph despite a number of key omissions, particularly in the forwards. So I think they are big favourites here.

FB_IMG_1479986968618.jpg

Same team lost with Wales.
If we play as the last match there are chances of winning.
If we win we will return to the top10 rankings.

I think Japan have a chance of a 15+ Points win here for maximum ranking points. Very impressed with their performances in June and November with under strength squads. It looks to me like the Top League players have surprisingly good strength as Japan have finished their last three games strongly. The worry is if Japan defend as badly against a flowing Fiji as they did against a flowing Argentina. But I reckon Joseph will have made improvements in that area.

Fiji 38 - 25

I was expecting it to be closer than that and I had Japan as favourites to win as well. Fiji played most of the game with 14 men, a shame for Yato cause he's a good player. But Fiji showed good character to not close down after he was red carded. This game shows the potential Fiji does have. Last week against England we made small errors and England punished Fiji for them. But there were less errors by Fiji this week, probably because they've spent more time together and Japan weren't able to punish them like England did. Even against England, Fiji showed potential when they scored 3 tries in a row and should have scored another two, it was their defense and small mistakes that cost them.

Very eye opening to see Fiji play like this, even with a man down. Another shockingly bad prediction from me this week. Comical at times watching their giant winger being "tackled" by the Japanese and kicking penalties. Full match below in French.

https://youtu.be/qOFSz7AMjjA

Japan made too many defensive mistakes and Fiji scored 7s-like tries. If Japan want to get into last 8 in 2019, improvement in defense is necessary. Japan have talents.

If Levani Botia wasn't there Fiji might have lost this game. Botia was involved in 4 out of 5 of Fiji's tries. First try was from his perfectly timed tackle on the Japanese player as he was kicking. Idk if any other player would have got there. Second try was from a powerful fend and run, his specialty and only a try he would have scored. Third try he timed the last pass and drew in the defenders perfectly and the fourth try he put the pressure on the Japanese and was the first to get to the loose ball for a solo run.

Also when you look at the lineup's Fiji put in their 3 games, this was the best lineup they put out there. Starting Matawalu made a big difference. I like Vularika but I think he was too inexperienced to be starting against England

Last edited:

Latest posts