• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] Ireland vs. Australia (26/11/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Ireland.png
attachment.php
Australia.png

Venue: Aviva Stadium
Time: 19:30 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

This should be interesting. We're now at the point where I think a lot of Aussie fans are pretty doubtful we can win. We scraped through by the skin of our teeth against Scotland and France and I worry that performances at the back end of games like that will see us punished by Ireland and England

This should be interesting. We're now at the point where I think a lot of Aussie fans are pretty doubtful we can win. We scraped through by the skin of our teeth against Scotland and France and I worry that performances at the back end of games like that will see us punished by Ireland and England

The question is though if Ireland will be up for it. They went out all guns blazing in 2 brutal games the All Blacks and the chances are that they might be softened up for you guys. Add to that, I see Sexton might not play.

The question is though if Ireland will be up for it. They went out all guns blazing in 2 brutal games the All Blacks and the chances are that they might be softened up for you guys. Add to that, I see Sexton might not play.

Yeah, that's one school of thought - the other is that playing a couple games against the ABs will have them battle hardened lol. I remember in League they changed our annual trans-tasman test v the Kiwis to before our State of Origin series precisely because the theory was it was too hard to NZ to match the Aussies after they'd been hardened by a brutal Origin series.

No Sexton will hurt Ireland no doubt, but they were very impressive at the breakdown and have more strings to their bow these days.

No Henshaw or Stander, Sexton and Kearney are doubts.

Henshaw is the biggest loss here but Luke Marshall is an adequate replacement, Paddy Jackson isn't a huge step down from Sexton anymore, tge way VdF played at the weekend and in Chicago its fair to say we don't lose anything there and Payne to 15 with Ringrose at 13 is arguably an improvement.

If our pack continues their recent form we should get out of here with a win and some invaluable experience for a few fringe guys who will be starters at the next world cup.

I think it's vital POM comes in for lineout option. No issues with VDF either just think like last week he's a 7 as is SOB (I know he can play 6 but in Schmidt eyes.) And POM is needed for lineout.
Agree on Jackson and Payne calls.
Plenty of options

Our midfield defence worries me. I think Joe will go with 15.Zebo 14.Trimble 13.Ringrose 12.Payne 11.Earls 10.Jackson. Ringrose and Payne did OK against NZ but ceded a lot of ground by defending very passively IMO. The Aussies have the ability to really cut us up here.

Sexton and Henshaw out for next week, Stander and Kearney still undergoing return to plays and Zebo should come back. Olding and Scannell called into the squad.

Joe Schmidt is big on keeping combinations together. I assume we'll see Jackson, Marshall and Ringrose in the 10, 12 and 13 shirts as they played as a unit against Canada. Jared Payne at 15 also seems like the logical thing to do and may give Ireland more of a strike running threat.

Joe Schmidt is big on keeping combinations together. I assume we'll see Jackson, Marshall and Ringrose in the 10, 12 and 13 shirts as they played as a unit against Canada. Jared Payne at 15 also seems like the logical thing to do and may give Ireland more of a strike running threat.

A big thing is how are the bodies after last weekend to Snoop. I think we will definitely see POM and Dillane or Henderson start. Possible Healy might too.

Tough ask for us as Ireland have proven they are a genuinely good side. For Cheika, these last two games will remind him of the final pool games last year against England and Wales. Must win games to top the pool.

It will also go a long way in silencing England and NZ fans who have been giving it to us since June.

It should be interesting to see who Chieka selects, as I know he wanted to give Foley a rest in the earlier games, but Cooper hasn't been fit. You'd think he'd have to select his strongest side against Ireland and England, regardless of how many games they'd played

It should be interesting to see who Chieka selects, as I know he wanted to give Foley a rest in the earlier games, but Cooper hasn't been fit. You'd think he'd have to select his strongest side against Ireland and England, regardless of how many games they'd played

I think the front row and back line for the next two games will be predictable

lock will be interesting with coleman out as neither simmons, douglas or skelton really staked a claim

backrow will be intersting with fardy, mumm, hooper, pocock and timani all availalbe. not sure on mcmahon, he seemed to be injured against france

It will be interesting to see what sort of intensity levels Ireland can muster after two big outings in three weeks.
If Ireland have their dander up they will be a handful.
Keen to see how the loose forward trios work.

If Sexton starts I'd make Ireland slight favourite. I think Jackson is more of a game manager who'd need a more adventurous supporting cast than Trimble and Kearney. Australias defence generally has been a feature of them consolidating third place in the rankings and I feel they match up well here. Plus they are massively motivated by the chance of a grand slam redemption and rankings leapfrog against England. Whereas Ireland have arguably had their highlight of he EOYT.

Tough ask for us as Ireland have proven they are a genuinely good side. For Cheika, these last two games will remind him of the final pool games last year against England and Wales. Must win games to top the pool.

It will also go a long way in silencing England and NZ fans who have been giving it to us since June.

Have we? I think your media has been doing that job on it's own!

If Sexton starts I'd make Ireland slight favourite. I think Jackson is more of a game manager who'd need a more adventurous supporting cast than Trimble and Kearney. Australias defence generally has been a feature of them consolidating third place in the rankings and I feel they match up well here. Plus they are massively motivated by the chance of a grand slam redemption and rankings leapfrog against England. Whereas Ireland have arguably had their highlight of he EOYT.

Sexton has been ruled out since practically the minute he went off.
Ireland equally motivated as a win and a good 6nations guarantees a good RWC seeding as this Autumn period is last chance for SH teams to puck up points

Jackson has all the makings of a great 10, but I'm still doubtful of his ability to bring the guys around him into the game. He thrives off the leadership role and responsibility that Pienaar takes on at Ulster, which is an area Murray is also extremely good at. It just goes to show that if Murray plays well, the whole team plays well. The entire game plan rests on his fitness and form. Really hope he puts Saturday behind him and brings the wood on Saturday. A few interesting calls ahead, but injuries will definitely weaken this side signifigantly from the one that beat NZ. Still we have home advantage and the Wallabies have had a pretty shaky year, so I want a win. We can't be as blunt as we were last week because through their issues the Wallabies can still defend well. Hope Folau has one of his bad games and shut him down early. Keep up the good line speed and give Foley no time to bring his centres into the game.

Peter O'Mahony trained with us today so looks like he won't be involved. Spoke with CJ and he is recovered

Latest posts