• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] Ireland vs. Australia (26/11/2016)

12. Henshaw
13. Ringrose
15. Zebo for the 6 nations s'il vous plait!!

Hell of a win, showed we were better in the first half and showed we were tougher in the second. I'm a huge fan of Cheika but his criticism is bizarre in pointing to the penalty count to show the ref wasn't equal... Your side committed more infringements is the reason for that.

Trying to fit VdF intona fully fit statting team should be the goal for Schmidt over the next few months, he was our best backrow this Autumn facing stiff competition!

You sure of Zebo at 15

Anyways on all serious your right. And the last bit is an issue I think for all guys.
POM
Stander
Heaslip
SOB
VDF
Even when fit Jordi.

I think it's vital that the minimum requirement is they are starting or at least getting alot of gametime. VDF needs to cement spot at Leinster too.

You'd wonder too how long before Leavy really puts name in mix too and what do Leinster fans think is the status of Ruddock now?

Ireland gave away 11 pens in 4 Autumn internationals that is some stat.

Don't forget Chris Henry and Rhys Ruddock.

On the discipline? Heaslip gave away the only 'professional' penalty (deliberately lying on the ball) over the 4 games. He was hauled off a couple of minutes later. Clear emphasis on discipline from the top.

Fairly run of the mill blokes, they can't bust games open. With the amount of ball your forwards secure, it's pretty telling you're a bit deficient in the backs. Some of the decision making and lines they're running are guys with not a lot of vision.

Absolutely 100% correct.

Unfortunately, we have a load of folks that are either facebook fans or blinded by a result.

With ball in hand, in open field, our back play is brutal - utterly utterly brutal. Of course, it really doesn't help that your essentially playing short of a fullback when attacking in open field.

12 Henshaw, 13 Ringrose and 15 Payne would make that attack probably 2-3x as potent in terms of linebreaks/game, it only involves one players swap and one positional switch. Unfortunately due to injury and the coaches' fixation on Payne's defensive cohesion at 13 - we don't see it.

Arrghhhhh! So frustrating!

- - - Updated - - -

12. Henshaw
13. Ringrose
15. Zebo for the 6 nations s'il vous plait!!

What?!?

Zebo has no defensive positional

If you want him in there, then the instruction has to go to Munster to get him much more gametime at 15. If you want the best we've got (right now), then it has to be Payne.

Absolutely 100% correct.

Unfortunately, we have a load of folks that are either facebook fans or blinded by a result.

With ball in hand, in open field, our back play is brutal - utterly utterly brutal. Of course, it really doesn't help that your essentially playing short of a fullback when attacking in open field.

12 Henshaw, 13 Ringrose and 15 Payne would make that attack probably 2-3x as potent in terms of linebreaks/game, it only involves one players swap and one positional switch. Unfortunately due to injury and the coaches' fixation on Payne's defensive cohesion at 13 - we don't see it.

Arrghhhhh! So frustrating!

- - - Updated - - -

What?!?

Zebo has no defensive positional

If you want him in there, then the instruction has to go to Munster to get him much more gametime at 15. If you want the best we've got (right now), then it has to be Payne.

Not arguing Payne ahead of Zebo but on last bit Zebo is playing all his rugby for us lately at 15

Agree that Payne at fullback with a Henshaw/Ringrose midfield is the way to go. With any luck, the Leinster duo will get a lot of time on the pitch to cement their provincial partnership over the next couple of months.

I'd also like to see a bold call made on the wing. They're at varying stages in their development but an investment in Niyi Adeolukun, Darren Sweetnam and Adam Byrne could pay dividends. All three are blindingly quick, all have a nose for the tryline and all are physically gifted. They could give Ireland an added edge which isn't there at present.

The AB's are knackered. same old story, travel to other side of the world at the far end of a long rugby schedule and get pitted against fresh teams that want to take your head off.
This young AB side don't have quite the same level of resilience as the old campaigners just yet. That takes time to develop.
The Lions will be a tough test series.
The Bokke look out on their feet after getting punched from pillar to post.
The Argies lack their usual intensity they showed in the RC.
Aussie actually look the freshest of the 4 major touring sides.

I see it the same way basically.

Australia do seem to be the fresher of the 4 RC sides.

it can actually be a benefit not having top players involved in the super rugby finals. The finals are 3 basically test match intensity games. If you're super rugby team doesn't make the final you get 3-4 extra weeks to rest and prepare for the test season. The super rugby finals are a pretty big reason NZ players are struggling with fatigue right now.

Agree that Payne at fullback with a Henshaw/Ringrose midfield is the way to go. With any luck, the Leinster duo will get a lot of time on the pitch to cement their provincial partnership over the next couple of months.

I'd also like to see a bold call made on the wing. They're at varying stages in their development but an investment in Niyi Adeolukun, Darren Sweetnam and Adam Byrne could pay dividends. All three are blindingly quick, all have a nose for the tryline and all are physically gifted. They could give Ireland an added edge which isn't there at present.

Agreed.
Byrne has looked good from bits I've seen and Niyi I'm big fan of.
Sweets here is a natural athletic guy and with his gaa background I'm honestly saying he's 1 of best aerial players I've wver aeen. He's shown it for us in restarts in matches etc but his leap and hand/eye coordination is scary

Your knowledge of this is far superior to mine; was it the case that if a player was yellow carded that further action can't be taken and has this been removed?

Sorry snoopy. I thought I had already answered this

In matches where there is a Citing Officer (and that is for all internationals) it doesn't matter whether the incident was dealt with or not (penalty only or yellow card), a player can still be cited

What you might be thinking of is lower level matches where there is no Citing Officer, and citing comes in the form of a Citing Complaint after the match from the opponents. In that case, only a non-penalised action can be cited.

[TEXTAREA]WR Regulation 17.11 Matches where Citing Commissioners are not Appointed
17.11.1 For Matches where, in accordance with Regulation 17.8.3 or 17.8.6, it is not reasonably practicable for a Citing Commissioner to be appointed, the following shall apply:
(a) Each team participating in a Match, or any of its authorised officials, or its Union, may cite:
(i) a Player(s) for an act(s) of alleged Foul Play committed during that Match provided that such act(s) have not been detected by the Match Officials;[/TEXTAREA]

I note that Dean Mumm has been cited for that tip-tackle - http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...n-mumm-cited-over-tackle-20161127-gsytfx.html

Dean Mumm is an idiot and gets what he deserves, he could have cleaned out Furlong without lifting him.

In saying that there were some really questionable calls against us and yes, I'm prepared to get flamed for saying this

Ringrose try was obstruction, he identified the area where Irish forwards were loitering in the Wallaby backline and ran around to dissect 2 of his forwards perfectly who were creating a hole. If he'd run relatively straight at the line when he received the ball on the bounce like a player normally would he wouldn't have been so obvious, but also may have been tackled.

Pocock was continously held off the ball to prevent him from getting to the next breakdown, this has been done by many teams for many years, it's nothing new, but how are teams constantly allowed to get away with it?

Anyway, congrats to Ireland, they are an impressive team, and I guess the silver lining is if we have a high level of competitive teams and close Rugby games, it makes the sport more exciting.

Edit: also nothing wrong with Foley's tackle, shouldn't have been a yellow - penalty at worst

Last edited:
It's like Cheika said "You know what need on the weekend?" *Imagines to himself* "He's strong, he's fit, he's an explosive ball runner" *puts a cross through Lopeti Timani's face* "It's Dean Mumm, Australia will love this choice."

Don't forget Chris Henry

Nah. He's never getting back to the level (if he ever was at that level) currently set by VdF and SOB - it'd take both of them to be injured simultaneously for him to get a look in.

It's like Cheika said "You know what need on the weekend?" *Imagines to himself* "He's strong, he's fit, he's an explosive ball runner" *puts a cross through Lopeti Timani's face* "It's Dean Mumm, Australia will love this choice."

It's like having a wrecking ball sitting idle on a construction site, while getting workers to demolish a brick wall with sledge hammers.

It's like having a wrecking ball sitting idle on a construction site, while getting workers to demolish a brick wall with sledge hammers.

Although I prefer him to Mumm and think he should start 8, I haven't been too impressed with Timani. Hasn't been too special with ball in hand and does nothing significant in defence or at the break down either.

Although I prefer him to Mumm and think he should start 8, I haven't been too impressed with Timani. Hasn't been too special with ball in hand and does nothing significant in defence or at the break down either.

123kg wrecking ball was what we needed, anyone is better than Mumm, but I agree Timani should be number 8 not 6, Pocock in my opinion is no choice for 8 he's not a ball runner, he's a 100% ball stealer.

123kg wrecking ball was what we needed, anyone is better than Mumm, but I agree Timani should be number 8 not 6, Pocock in my opinion is no choice for 8 he's not a ball runner, he's a 100% ball stealer.

I think the Aussie back row should be:
6. McMahon
7. Pocock
8. Timani

20. Hooper

Seems a hell of a lot more balanced than:

6. Mumm
7. Hooper
8. Pocock

Or

6. Pocock
7. Hooper
8. Timani

Hooper's been relatively unimpressive this year IMO, he runs and tackles very well but I don't think he fills the role that a forward should. I think his pace would be much better utilised off the bench against tired legs.

I'm so over Hooper, he's too light to be an effective flanker IMO. Also Folau needs to be ****ed off back to league, 2 or 3 times on the weekend he bombed certain tries by trying to be a hero.

strange seeing such negativity on Folau and Hooper, regularly touted as Aussies best players.

I admire Hooper he gives everything. I think he is a great option at 7 with a well balanced loose forward trio. But IMO that's what Aussie seem to be lacking - a 6,7 & 8 that really complement each other.

Folau has amazing skills and physically hes insane but IMO he tends to wait and let the game come to him. He's a bit passive, and at other times he seems to operate on his own and doesn't seem to link well/consistently.

strange seeing such negativity on Folau and Hooper, regularly touted as Aussies best players.

I admire Hooper he gives everything. I think he is a great option at 7 with a well balanced loose forward trio. But IMO that's what Aussie seem to be lacking - a 6,7 & 8 that really complement each other.

Folau has amazing skills and physically hes insane but IMO he tends to wait and let the game come to him. He's a bit passive, and at other times he seems to operate on his own and doesn't seem to link well/consistently.

Hooper is too light, he'd be better off in the centres if you ask me.

Folau has been 103kgs of useless for a long while, I don't understand how he's still in the team he has done nothing for a very long time.

Dane Haylette-Petty however is the new Ben Tune/Peter Hynes guy was amazing on the weekend.

Agreed on the balance of the back row but its window dressing if your front 5 don't measure up. I can't remember a positive contribution in open play from the Aussie front 5 last weekend.

Good point corny, we are really missing Coleman.

Timani had some good games in the RC this year. Folau is a strange one, offers so much potential but failing to exploit a 2 man overlap against Ireland was just perplexing

Latest posts