• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] Ireland vs. New Zealand (19/11/2016)

I'm with Petite.
Irish to keep it close for 60; ABs to make 3 unanswered scores in the last quarter

:p

Ah that player Brian Retallick.;) Lol. So like 2 years ago when Brian's brother Brodie pointed out Micheal Lawes played for England, I think it's only fair that each AB player is called Brian from now on.

Agreed, kind of like the kiwi version of Bruce's Philosophers - "I'm Brian, this is Brian the flanker, this is Brian the winger and this is Brian who looks after the sheep dip!". Apart from Brodie Lochore and Brodie Williams of course!

This is a hard one to call. Will there be a New Zealand backlash after Chicago? Against that, Ireland only had a few days together before the first test so should be better prepared for this one. Could be a great game.

I doubt Iain Henderson will play this weekend. Three years ago, Ireland ran out of steam and didn't have a bench with enough impact. Henderson is coming back from a long lay off and won't be match fit, even as a replacement. You need everybody firing on all cylinders if you want to beat New Zealand.

He's been out less than a month with an injury that wouldn't have stopped him running. Personally wouldn't call that a long lay off and, from what MMis saying, its quite conceivable he'll be more match fit than POM or SOB.

Why the **** are there English posters derailing an Irish thread? You know full well it works the other way around...

- - - Updated - - -

all blacks by 20! the are back and they are P i s s e d !
i think ireland got lucky last time on some key points: yellows, injuries, ****ty abs second row. good for them that they used that advantage it wasnt esasy!
but no advantages this time i expect a full strength AB coming for pay back

How was the yellow lucky? It could have been a red!

- - - Updated - - -

all blacks by 20! the are back and they are P i s s e d !
i think ireland got lucky last time on some key points: yellows, injuries, ****ty abs second row. good for them that they used that advantage it wasnt esasy!
but no advantages this time i expect a full strength AB coming for pay back

I don't really see that a mistake from an opponent constitutes luck on the part of the side that benefits. A clear yellow, a red would have been exceedingly harsh IMO.

Speaking of luck....
6pw8EwH.jpg

I would call that luck. Does this mean that the TMO only had access to the same useless camera angles that I had in the broadcast that I watched? Surely the camera positions should be standard if World Rugby are going to sanction the use of a TMO. Looking at the position of the touch judge in the background, it's quite impressive that he managed to miss it too.

I would call that luck. Does this mean that the TMO only had access to the same useless camera angles that I had in the broadcast that I watched? Surely the camera positions should be standard if World Rugby are going to sanction the use of a TMO. Looking at the position of the touch judge in the background, it's quite impressive that he managed to miss it too.

Yes. The host broadcaster is responsible for providing the images. And well NBC (I think were host) had poor camera work. The sports they usually broadcast don't usually need vast amount of angle like a TMO would need.

As I say, World Rugby ought to introduce standards / guidelines then. I would also question the diligence of whoever appointed the host broadcaster - any host broadcaster that doesn't appreciate the need for cameras pointing straight down the touchline has no business broadcasting rugby.

Thank god this didn't alter the result of the match.

Look at that picture quality though, amazing.

Do we know that it's a still from the feed not just a fortuitously timed photo? Not exactly amazing quality for a photo.

The broadcast I watched of the game played footage from a similar angle back and forth a few times which didn't appear to show and reason not to give the try.

interesting article http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-were-arrogant-and-lacked-respect-for-ireland

While it clearly wasn't our best team, a bit makeshift. I dont think the selections were disrespectful from the AB's. We had injuries and other changes were made, the selectors backed the players to do the job and maybe underestimated Ireland a bit. The team was also put under a lot of pressure due to injuries during the game.

saying arrogant and disrespectful is the negative way to look at it. Gets clicks though I guess :)

- - - Updated - - -

thats a great pic of the Ben Smith try. I admit I thought that was lucky to be given. But I felt the same way about one of the early Irish trys. when there is really poor coverage you expect mistakes like this. Refs prob need to pay more attention and make more decisions. When the coverage is poor if often means the decisions are harder to make.

Ireland set to stick with same 23 that won in Chicago except Sean O'Brien in at 7 and Paddy Jackson replaces Carberry it seems.

Although rumours now Dillane dropped and replaced by Henderson too

Last edited:
Sean O'Brien is a fantastic player. I can't imagine him being out of the starting lineup.

All Blacks squad to face Ireland (with Test caps in brackets):

1. Joe Moody (22)
2. Dane Coles (47)
3. Owen Franks (88)
4. Brodie Retallick (58)
5. Samuel Whitelock (82)
6. Liam Squire (7)
7. Sam Cane (39)
8. Kieran Read - captain (95)
9. Aaron Smith (56)
10. Beauden Barrett (47)
11. Julian Savea (50)
12. Anton Lienert-Brown (6)
13. Malakai Fekitoa (22)
14. Israel Dagg (59)
15. Ben Smith (59)

16. Codie Taylor (13)
17. Wyatt Crockett (56)
18. Charlie Faumuina (44)
19. Scott Barrett (2)
20. Ardie Savea (10)
21. TJ Perenara (27)
22. Aaron Cruden (45)
23. Waisake Naholo (10)

I feel for Perenara but he will get game time
Fekitoa is the only player who isn't in form at the moment. Hopefully he will deliver a big performance on defence.
I wonder how much game time Naholo will get...
Kaino is clearly injured and thats a BIG blow for the pack.
ALB. It speaks volumes for the quality of the kid that he is the least capped player in the starting line up but I'm really looking forward to seeing his contribution.

Last edited:
Interesting words from Mr Hansen...

"We know the challenge we face from Ireland will again be massive and we are going into the game as the underdogs. They'll be full of confidence and committed to delivering on their home patch. So we will have to take a massive step up, to get the performance we are looking for. It is a challenge that this team needs right now and how we respond will tell us a lot about ourselves. As I said, we are very much looking forward to Saturday."

I'd say the boys have had some hair dryer treatment. ;-)

If that wasn't enough they had this as well...

"Flanker Sam Cane said the team had put a message of support on Facebook to those affected by the Kaikoura earthquake and one of the first responses had told them to just get out and beat Ireland because that would make people feel better."

That is so true of New Zealanders. It's like...
'Yeah I'm dying of cancer and my life has 6 weeks to run, I doubt it would cure me but I'd feel better if the AB's win at the weekend.'

Last edited:
I feel for Perenara but he will get game time
Fekitoa is the only player who isn't in form at the moment. Hopefully he will deliver a big performance on defence.
I wonder how much game time Naholo will get...
Kaino is clearly injured and thats a BIG blow for the pack.
ALB. It speaks volumes for the quality of the kid that he is the least capped player in the starting line up but I'm really looking forward to seeing his contribution.

Crikey. That's unfair on TJ. I would think anybody is good enough to be in the starting 23. I guess different players for different game situations.

O'Brien looked a bit off the pace against Canada never mind the All Blacks. If he's picked I have full confidence in the fact Schmidt thinks he's ready, but I'd be surprised. Would rather Van der Flier on current form. Saw a funny comment on the 42 about the game. "Beating the All blacks is like waiting for a bus. You wait ages for one, then two come together". Would be nice to see our team bolstered slightly. Hopefully guys like Henderson and O'Mahony will be deemed ready. Think it's likely that Jackson comes in anyway. Carberry needs to be kicking goals regularly before he's ever going to be a viable backup to Sexton. Can't afford to pass up 3 points or 2 points in the last 20. Hope he gets his kicking going because he has lightning feet.

Last edited:

Latest posts