• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] Italy vs. South Africa (19/11/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Italy.png
attachment.php
South%20Africa.png

Venue: Stadio Artemio Franchi
Time: 15:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Imagine the Boks losing this. :D

The idiots at SARU will probably keep him for next year, no matter what happens on this tour.

The sad thing is I think we can lose this match... I don't think we will, but it can happen. I use to think we will beat Italy 100% of the time.

I hate the fact that I am not confident in the Springboks anymore.

The sad thing is I think we can lose this match... I don't think we will, but it can happen. I use to think we will beat Italy 100% of the time.

I hate the fact that I am not confident in the Springboks anymore.

Ja it's a very kak feeling. The last time I've felt this way about the bokke was when kamp staaldraad was the major talking point. It feels worse than when a family member dies.

Ja it's a very kak feeling. The last time I've felt this way about the bokke was when kamp staaldraad was the major talking point. It feels worse than when a family member dies.

The feeling is truly kak...

I am not confident in SA beating anyone in the current top 10... I use to think we will only lose against NZ and sometimes AUS.

What truly frustrates me the most, is the fact that AC is making excuses every match and blames the players not the management. Not only a horrible coach (in my opinion) but also a tool.

I am not confident in SA beating anyone in the current top 10... I use to think we will only lose against NZ and sometimes AUS.

What truly frustrates me the most, is the fact that AC is making excuses every match and blames the players not the management. Not only a horrible coach (in my opinion) but also a tool.

Yeah, I was willing to give AC the benefit of the doubt, and Until this England match, I would still have. But my faith in him is gone. In afrikaans the term is "Ek is planke toe". That's how I feel!

And perhaps now, some of the articles I didn't bother reading that had headlines such as lack of respect for management in Bok camp, might turn out to be worth reading.

I have never been so negative about Springbok rugby as I am now.

Yeah, I was willing to give AC the benefit of the doubt, and Until this England match, I would still have. But my faith in him is gone. In afrikaans the term is "Ek is planke toe". That's how I feel!

And perhaps now, some of the articles I didn't bother reading that had headlines such as lack of respect for management in Bok camp, might turn out to be worth reading.

I have never been so negative about Springbok rugby as I am now.

And this how I know that the Springboks have fallen... When you even you are negative about the Springboks. I use to rely on you to give me a bit of optimism.

I starting to not care about what happens anymore. If we lose a match now, it is not even a shock.

And this how I know that the Springboks have fallen... When you even you are negative about the Springboks. I use to rely on you to give me a bit of optimism.

I starting to not care about what happens anymore. If we lose a match now, it is not even a shock.

I care deeply to what happens next. We are at our lowest low ever. Everyone is basically begging to have a chance to play against us, because they know they have a chance at beating us. That fear we once installed in our opponents are gone.

I know it's all to do with point of impact and changes if momenetum in the body. But I do find it mildly amusing that Vunipola just walked away from the encounter as if nothing happened.

I know it's all to do with point of impact and changes if momenetum in the body. But I do find it mildly amusing that Vunipola just walked away from the encounter as if nothing happened.

Yes, but I wonder if Vunipola had any reaction after the game or whether another head knock will have long term implications. Do you remember 3rd Lions test v Australia when George Smith ran straight into Hibbard and clashed heads and had to be helped off the field all wobbly legged (stupid that they let him back on)? Hibbard looked unaffected at the time, but then later on in that half collapsed after a scrum. Can't help but think that he was affected by the initial collision. That's the problem with these head collisions, they affect players in different ways.

Eben pretty much took a double hit - first the head to head with Vunipola, then when he was dazed and fell backwards the back of his head hit the turf. So not surprised he took no further part in the game and sensible that he is ruled out for the Italy game.

Last edited:
If O'Shea can pick players in position Italy have half a chance of getting within 15 points. But Italy can be bullied up front and have defensive frailties that even AC can exploit. I think the Boks on here can rest easy. This would be a bigger shock than losing to Japan in my opinion, much as it pains me to say it.

Yes, but I wonder if Vunipola had any reaction after the game or whether another head knock will have long term implications. Do you remember 3rd Lions test v Australia when George Smith ran straight into Hibbard and clashed heads and had to be helped off the field all wobbly legged (stupid that they let him back on)? Hibbard looked unaffected at the time, but then later on in that half collapsed after a scrum. Can't help but think that he was affected by the initial collision. That's the problem with these head collisions, they affect players in different ways.

Good point, I didn't think of it at the time, but you could argue that it was clear to the match officials (and the England medics for that matter) that Vunipola had received a blow to the head, so should have been assessed too. I.e. that those responsible fell at the first hurdle and failed to "recognise".

Interesting question, during a game of rugby the head will take several knocks regardless. You can't have half the team of for HIA so where's the line?

Noticeable reaction after collsion?
Nature of the impact?

It appears to be the former rather the later currently. I'll be honest I was little surprised after a clash of heads where one player had to be taken off the other didn't as well.

Oh the excuses - he should consider becoming a spin-doctor instead.

The Duane Vermeulen situation says it all for SA Rugby...

Interesting question, during a game of rugby the head will take several knocks regardless. You can't have half the team of for HIA so where's the line?
Noticeable reaction after collsion?
Nature of the impact?

It appears to be the former rather the later currently. I'll be honest I was little surprised after a clash of heads where one player had to be taken off the other didn't as well.

That is the question and it really is a case by case basis. There is supposed to be a medic/Dr? on the touchline with an ipad/tablet following the action to spot these incidents, who need to make these decisions. Personally, at the time I thought both Eben and Billy should have been taken off for a HIA.

Italy starting 15 team has been announced, but not the substitutes.

Link: http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/italy-line-up-named-for-bok-test-20161115

15 Edoardo Padovani
14 Giulio Bisegni
13 Tommaso Benvenuti
12 Luke McLean
11 Giovanbattista Venditti
10 Carlo Canna
9 Giorgio Bronzini
8 Sergio Parisse (capt.)
7 Simone Favaro
6 Francesco Minto
5 Andries Van Schalkwyk
4 Marco Fuser
3 Lorenzo Cittadini
2 Ornel Gega
1 Sami Panico

Substitutes: To be announced

Sad times.
I agree with above posts about supporter confidence in the Boks.
Usually i would always have expected the Boks to win their next game no matter the opponent. If we played away to New Zealand that must have been the exception.
Now its hard to "believe" we can win. Its misguided optimism. I started the week leading up to the England game skeptical of our chances but grew more confident only for the disappointment of another bad loss.
There is a fine line between just being negative and being realistic. We will probably win the Italy game but the fact that its even being discussed points to a lack of faith at present in the team.
AC is also constantly making excuses. Anyone remembers HM apologizing to the nation after certain defeats? We need someone to take accountability when things go wrong. It seems like AC and company wants to convince South Africans that we are a weaker team now and should expect less. They talked of England being very challenging because they are the number 2 team in the world but we were number 2 in the world and now we are fearing even the second placed team.

I will obviously keep supporting them. A true supporter will never abandon its team in times of hardships.

EDIT: a news 24 poll on our chances in the game vs Italy shows the current confidence. The Majority of Springbok fans believe Italy will win us this weekend.

Latest posts