• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] Italy vs. South Africa (19/11/2016)

It's isn't the quota system in isolation.
It's the entire bureaucracy from sports minister down that needs to be introspective and accept they are not up to the job.

It's about appointing the right people with the right skills and experience to the right positions irrespective of their their nationality or race.

Unfortunately Africa will continue to do as Africa has always done.

Draw your own conclusions!

In other words, SA rugby is on a swift downward spiral that sadly, in my opinion, it will never recover from, unless the IRB intervene. But if they do, will the SA government listen? Do the SA government really care if Springbok rugby loses its place in rugby's elite?
Are black men in SA really interested in rugby or is football their preferred sport, where there are probably fewer white players?

In other words, SA rugby is on a swift downward spiral that sadly, in my opinion, it will never recover from, unless the IRB intervene. But if they do, will the SA government listen? Do the SA government really care if Springbok rugby loses its place in rugby's elite?
Are black men in SA really interested in rugby or is football their preferred sport, where there are probably fewer white players?

Rugby is an Olympic Sport now. The IOC could step in and either 1. Threaten to remove Rugby 7's 2. Threaten to ban ALL South African teams (including athletics, Caster Semenya) unless this is sorted.

That would get the attention of the ANC

One day by Lions☺
Thank's Italy!!!

You post in one thread and come away with a victory! You must be a good luck charm. Please post during the 6N. :p

- - - Updated - - -

SA government was threatening the Boks by not giving them permission to play tests in SA IF they didn't move faster in making the quotas etc.

I don't think that's correct (I'd be surprised if there is any quote attributed to the sports minister to that effect but am happy to be corrected). It relates to banning sports unions for applying to host international tournaments if they don't show signs of meeting targets. So in the case of rugby, the SARU might not be allowed to bid for a RWC if they continue to have 17 or more players in the 23 (74%) who are white (a grouping that represents approx 5% of population).

I can't see WR or the IOC do anything. These types of organizations would just be too scared to be labelled 'counter-revolutionaries' 'racist' or whatever nevermind that a stand against this BS would actually be a stand against institutional racism.

My only hope is that money talks as people start cancelling their DSTV subscriptions since, honestly, the majority of the subscribers fork out the R900/month for rugby only. Success is more marketable and you can afford to alienate your existing base only so much.

In other words, SA rugby is on a swift downward spiral that sadly, in my opinion, it will never recover from, unless the IRB intervene.

Yes

But if they do, will the SA government listen?
No

Do the SA government really care if Springbok rugby loses its place in rugby's elite?
No

Are black men in SA really interested in rugby
No

is football their preferred sport, where there are probably fewer white players?

Yes

Rugby is an Olympic Sport now. The IOC could step in and either 1. Threaten to remove Rugby 7's 2. Threaten to ban ALL South African teams (including athletics, Caster Semenya) unless this is sorted.

That would get the attention of the ANC

A bit extreme!

You need to judge each sport / discipline relative to its performance and management.

Cricket has coped well with the transformation relative to others sports. Why? What have they done differently to accommodate these transformational changes?

We don't want to return to the "bad old days" when all international sports participation is penalised because of the policies of one delusional ideology.

Bloody hell... and I thought Australia rugby had descended into a shambles. Never thought I'd see the Springboks lose to Japan last year, but I certainly didn't think I'd see them make losing to lower tier nations a habit

My only hope is that money talks as people start cancelling their DSTV subscriptions since, honestly, the majority of the subscribers fork out the R900/month for rugby only. Success is more marketable and you can afford to alienate your existing base only so much.

Precisely. Protest with your wallet.
Economic sabotage works every time. Hit the power mongers where it hurts most.

Yeah. I got one or two RSA friends, and they f'ing hate that system. That system seems to be driving the two races apart...

Before I start I will say that I have not seen the game nor at this point do I know the score but reading the last page or so I get the impression that "South Africa lost because of South African government policy" is it not possible that Italy may just have played better?

A couple of weeks ago we had the Irish beating the All Blacks, the easy option is to sit here and say we had no locks, team selection was wrong, it was a full moon, the ref sucked and John Key didn't have his lucky undies on etc. etc. but in the end the Irish simply played better and won.

The reality is the gap between the top 10 teams is not that great and anyone of them can beat the others on their day.

It seems to me that rather than congratulating Ireland and Italy on historic wins people are focusing on excuses for the losing side.

It's not just one game though is it. SA have been declining for a while and it's easy to see where the finger should be pointing.

It's not just one game though is it. SA have been declining for a while and it's easy to see where the finger should be pointing.
A lot of people are saying this now, but if you look at the results from 2015 i don't think it was that clear.
Despite losing to Aus and NZ in the RC in 2015, they could have won either game. Sure, the lost to Japan but lets not forget they were the team that gave NZ ("best team in history") the closest contest in the world cup, losing a semi final by 2 points.

2016 and they had arguably a top 3 team in SR (Aus not even a top 5).

The Springboks results after that have been terrible, granted, but i for one thought that despite all the criticism they had touched bottom already (RC) and were on their way up.

Lol. Springboks are the Catholic schoolgirl just graduated, ready to bend over and take it from anyone who's keen. Good stuff Italy. We don't deserve to be in the top 10, and that isn't even pessimism it's fact.

Enough of rugby, tell me more about these South African catholic schoolgirls... ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts