• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] Wales vs. Australia (05/11/2016)

A minute earlier, Cuthbert failed to straighten up and pass to Amos in the corner. Then the forwards/Davies collectively failed to get it out when there was a massive overlap. Plenty of blame to go around.

Faletau is a big loss in this area.

Yeah Alun-Wyn as well. Highlights the lack of depth

At least Wales turned up in the second half. Scotland will give the Aussies a much better contest next week but the difference in scoreline may be similar. Hopefully Wales get their act together against Argentina or they'll be plummeting down the rankings and risk losing their place in the second RWC pool again.

Just watched the match. Some good fluidity and physicality from the Wallabies in important parts of the game, but frankly Wales were poor and our execution still let us down quite a lot, with probably 3 or 4 tries left out there through dropped ball (Haylette Petty) or just a fumbling lack of awareness (Moore not even appearing to try catch that ball from Kepu in the second half).

Happy with the win, but the scrum still looked problematic at times and the game was punctuated by our now trademark lapses in concentration with sloppy and even lazy execution, with the first 10 minutes of the second half being absolute garbage from both sides.

Could see one team was at the end of their season, the other at the start.
Poor performance from Wales, but thought Australia looked very good at times as well.
Don't think the back row worked, Warburton was and Faletau definitely missed vs Cooper and Pocock.
Joubert was his usual 'divisive' self. Players taken off the ball around mauls, side entry and Australia going off their feet with no arms, should have had at least one yellow card.
Overall, hard to judge after just one game, but on the bright side (hopefully) we can't get worse......eep!

PS. Was waiting to see how long it would take to blame Cuthbert. People need to actually watch games instead of just jumping on the bandwagon and blaming someone who for 90% of the game didn't even get within 20m of the ball. (apart from one try-saving tackle)

Worth noting that Ireland vs NZ was in exactly same season circumstances as Wales vs Australia. It's simply no excuse for such a poor display.

Any news on Webb? It didn't look like he'd be playing another test this year :/

Any news on Webb? It didn't look like he'd be playing another test this year :/

He was sucking on a tube of Oxygen on the field, so that is never a good sign for any injured player. My guess is ankle ligament damage and out certainly for the rest of the year and a doubt for the 6Ns, which would put his Lions spot on the plane at risk.

Worst Welsh display in a long time. Shocking both defensively and offensively. Aussie's we very good at times though, left a pile of points out there, but still won comfortably.

From a Welsh perspective, Moriarty was probably our best player. From start to finish, he gave his all and had an impact in defense and carrying the ball. Tipuric looked like our most dangerous player, which kinda sums-up our backline atm; but he struggled to have much of an impact when the Aussies had the ball. Difficult for an openside to have much of an impact in defense when the game's so one sides though...... Amos was the only other player to come out of that game with any merit.

I'm gutted that Sam Davies gave away that intercept at the end, because it's the excuse Howley needed to carry on with Biggar! yes I know Davies made two mistakes, but we also looked far more dangerous with him at 10, with the variety he brings on show even though he only had a handful of touches.

Not entirely sure where we go from here! Our defense was shredded yesterday, and as others have pointed out, we can't use familiarity as an excuse after Ireland go and beat NZ for the first time ever! I'm getting truly fed-up now. It disparately feels like the whole backroom staff need a clear-out. Edwards' once lauded defense has even fallen to pieces!

One key area is that the forwards just aren't physical enough, possibly even technically abled enough at the breakdown on attack or defence. I feel it's been one of the biggest weaknesses in the squad for a long time now.

Last edited:
Worst Welsh display in a long time. Shocking both defensively and offensively. Aussie's we very good at times though, left a pile of points out there, but still won comfortably.

From a Welsh perspective, Moriarty was probably our best player. From start to finish, he gave his all and had an impact in defense and carrying the ball. Tipuric looked like our most dangerous player, which kinda sums-up our backline atm; but he struggled to have much of an impact when the Aussies had the ball. Difficult for an openside to have much of an impact in defense when the game's so one sides though...... Amos was the only other player to come out of that game with any merit.

I'm gutted that Sam Davies gave away that intercept at the end, because it's the excuse Howley needed to carry on with Biggar! yes I know Davies made two mistakes, but we also looked far more dangerous with him at 10, with the variety he brings on show even though he only had a handful of touches.

Not entirely sure where we go from here! Our defense was shredded yesterday, and as others have pointed out, we can't use familiarity as an excuse after Ireland go and beat NZ for the first time ever! I'm getting truly fed-up now. It disparately feels like the whole backroom staff need a clear-out. Edwards' once lauded defense has even fallen to pieces!

You are right about Howler now having an excuse to carry on with Biggar, Davies came on when the game was lost he does make things happen he made a lovely inside pass soon after coming on, as for Cuthbert apart from one tackle he was clueless he spurned a try but not straightening up, admittedly he made a tackle when normally he struggles to tackle a bacon sandwich. 1/2 penny was off the pace but will be better next week, AW will be back and I'd like to see him with Cory Hill, I'd also change the hooker for Kristian Dacey, play Warburton at 6, start with SD at 10, Scott Williams and Johny Fox in the centre and throw Keelan Giles on one wing, 1/2penny on the other and Liam W at FB

- - - Updated - - -

You are right about Howler now having an excuse to carry on with Biggar, Davies came on when the game was lost he does make things happen he made a lovely inside pass soon after coming on, as for Cuthbert apart from one tackle he was clueless he spurned a try by not straightening up, admittedly he made a tackle when normally he struggles to tackle a bacon sandwich. 1/2 penny was off the pace but will be better next week, AW will be back and I'd like to see him with Cory Hill, I'd also change the hooker for Kristian Dacey, play Warburton at 6, start with SD at 10, Scott Williams and Johny Fox in the centre and throw Keelan Giles on one wing, 1/2penny on the other and Liam W at FB

painful to watch, as stated above that intercept pass has probably ruined Davies' chances of starting against Argentina, which is a shame. He looked comfortable other than that and there was a lovely flat pass to put cuthbert in space. Attacking wise Cuthbert didnt have many chances but flounders around far to often in defence (as does north). id plump for Amos to start this week, as he looked very dangerous. maybe put keelan giles on the other wing but i doubt that Howley will swap both wingers. Williams should start at 12 with Davies at 13 (if fit). if not i would draft in Ben John or Cory Allen (More likely).

As much as all media and players are saying "we'll bounce back" etc. its about time there was some kind of consequence for poor perfomances, far too many chances have been given for players to redeem themselves in the past, drop a few for this week and that should give them a kick up the backside and put some fire in their bellys for the following games

North is really important but he needs to up his work rate and aggression and rely less on his athleticism and power. He really is bloody lazy for both Wales and Northampton.

Last edited:
Only way to describe that first half performance is absolutely dire, I'm used to seeing them clueless in attack but not in defence like that. I agree with other posters in that changes need to be made but I doubt that they will. Sam Davies what such a difference when he came on but what a miss Liam Williams is in the backs, none of them looked like they were going to break the line. Is Faletau fit for next week?

Only way to describe that first half performance is absolutely dire, I'm used to seeing them clueless in attack but not in defence like that. I agree with other posters in that changes need to be made but I doubt that they will. Sam Davies what such a difference when he came on but what a miss Liam Williams is in the backs, none of them looked like they were going to break the line. Is Faletau fit for next week?

definitely missed liam williams. i think falatau will need a couple more weeks, will probably play against SA. id go with warbs at 6 (as lydiate was mostly anonamous), tips at 7 and moritaty at 8 (who was outstanding in all aspects)

Not going to dwell too much on the disappointments - everyone has already nailed it on that front. Worst display we've seen in a long time and for me concrete proof that Howley is not the man to take over from Gatland. If he loses against Argentina now then he absolutely has to go even if he somehow scrapes together a win over SA.

Anyway, on to the (few) positives and possible changes. Sam Davies, Ross Moriarty, Scott Williams and Justin Tipuric proved themselves, in my books. Biggar and Roberts dropped completely. Webb played pretty well also but sadly injured. We really missed both Faletau and Warburton, as well as Alun Wyn Jones. Amazingly I actually think Cuthbert outplayed North in this game as well - not enough to be in the starting squad, but not badly enough to rule out a return at some point.

For the next match, I'd start Sam Davies at 10 with Anscombe on the bench. Liam Williams would hopefully be back, so I'd have him either at wing or FB with Halfpenny occupying the other berth - can't quite decide which way would work better at the moment but Halfpenny did enough to stay, I think. I'd bring in Keelan Giles on the left wing and drop North to the bench as cover for the centres, which would be Scott Williams and Jonathan Davies. Webb's injury means Gareth Davies comes back in, with Lloyd Williams on the bench.

In the back row, I'd have Warburton in at 6 with Tipuric staying at seven. It didn't work that well last time but Sam has had much more time at six lately for the Blues and has been doing well, so think we might need to take a cue from England and Robshaw by shifting him over. It's very tough on Moriarty who was probably our best player, so it's a tough call. If Faletau isn't 100% then he replaces him at 8, obviously. If he starts then have James King on the bench for back row cover. Hopefully Alun Wyn is back, but not sure who to partner with him. Both Davies and Charteris have advantages and disadvantages, so I'm a bit undecided there. In the front row I'd love to replace Samson Lee entirely but not sure who offers anything better at the moment so he probably stays. Jenkins did OK but I'd give anything to see Sam Parry start at hooker. Owens is OK in the meantime.

L Williams / Halfpenny, L Williams / Halfpenny, J Davies, S Williams, Giles, S Davies, G Davies, Faletau / Moriarty, Tipuric, Warburton, Charteris / Davies, Jones, Lee, Owens, Jenkins

Reps: Smith, Francis, Baldwin, Hill, Moriarty/King, Anscombe, Amos, North

Not going to dwell too much on the disappointments - everyone has already nailed it on that front. Worst display we've seen in a long time and for me concrete proof that Howley is not the man to take over from Gatland. If he loses against Argentina now then he absolutely has to go even if he somehow scrapes together a win over SA.

Anyway, on to the (few) positives and possible changes. Sam Davies, Ross Moriarty, Scott Williams and Justin Tipuric proved themselves, in my books. Biggar and Roberts dropped completely. Webb played pretty well also but sadly injured. We really missed both Faletau and Warburton, as well as Alun Wyn Jones. Amazingly I actually think Cuthbert outplayed North in this game as well - not enough to be in the starting squad, but not badly enough to rule out a return at some point.

For the next match, I'd start Sam Davies at 10 with Anscombe on the bench. Liam Williams would hopefully be back, so I'd have him either at wing or FB with Halfpenny occupying the other berth - can't quite decide which way would work better at the moment but Halfpenny did enough to stay, I think. I'd bring in Keelan Giles on the left wing and drop North to the bench as cover for the centres, which would be Scott Williams and Jonathan Davies. Webb's injury means Gareth Davies comes back in, with Lloyd Williams on the bench.

In the back row, I'd have Warburton in at 6 with Tipuric staying at seven. It didn't work that well last time but Sam has had much more time at six lately for the Blues and has been doing well, so think we might need to take a cue from England and Robshaw by shifting him over. It's very tough on Moriarty who was probably our best player, so it's a tough call. If Faletau isn't 100% then he replaces him at 8, obviously. If he starts then have James King on the bench for back row cover. Hopefully Alun Wyn is back, but not sure who to partner with him. Both Davies and Charteris have advantages and disadvantages, so I'm a bit undecided there. In the front row I'd love to replace Samson Lee entirely but not sure who offers anything better at the moment so he probably stays. Jenkins did OK but I'd give anything to see Sam Parry start at hooker. Owens is OK in the meantime.

L Williams / Halfpenny, L Williams / Halfpenny, J Davies, S Williams, Giles, S Davies, G Davies, Faletau / Moriarty, Tipuric, Warburton, Charteris / Davies, Jones, Lee, Owens, Jenkins

Reps: Smith, Francis, Baldwin, Hill, Moriarty/King, Anscombe, Amos, North

good calls, i thought our replacement front row did really well. i would definitely start nicky smith as i feel he has more impact scrum time than gethin and hes not too shabby in the loose either. Lee is our strongest scrummager and we do not really have an alternative, francis is nowhere near him IMO. Id give baldwin a start as lineout was awful in this game, although not entirely down to owens' throwing, something needs to be changed. AWJ and charteris would be my choice of locks. AWJ offers bradley davies' grunt but has a better engine and vision (offloads etc), charteris for more the technical aspects of lineout/mauls etc although he certainly was not at his best for this game

Latest posts