• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] Wales vs. South Africa (26/11/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Wales.png
attachment.php
South%20Africa.png

Venue: Millennium Stadium
Time: 19:30 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Teams:

Wales: 15 Leigh Halfpenny, 14 George North, 13. Jonathan Davies, 12 Scott Williams, 11 Liam Williams, 10 Dan Biggar, 9 Gareth Davies, 8 Ross Moriarty, 7 Justin Tipuric, 6 Dan Lydiate, 5 Alun Wyn Jones, 4 Luke Charteris, 3 Tomas Francis, 2 Ken Owens, 1 Gethin Jenkins (captain)

Substitutes: 16 Scott Baldwin, 17 Nicky Smith, 18 Samson Lee, 19 Cory Hill, 20 Taulupe Faletau, 21 Lloyd Williams, 22 Sam Davies, 23 Jamie Roberts

South Africa: 15 Johan Goosen, 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Francois Venter, 12 Rohan Janse van Rensburg, 11 Jamba Ulengo, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Warren Whiteley, 7 Uzair Cassiem, 6 Nizaam Carr, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 3 Lourens Adriaanse, 2 Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Trevor Nyakane, 19 Franco Mostert, 20 Jean-Luc du Preez, 21 Piet van Zyl, 22 Pat Lambie, 23 Lionel Mapoe

Last edited:
I know this wrong to say as a Springbok supporter, but I seriously want Wales to beat us in this match. We need to lose here to have any hope of getting new coaches.

I am so sick the fact that I am expecting us to lose every match and the worst part is I am not even getting upset anymore. I laughed when I saw the results against Italy.

AC has a win percentage of 36% with a team that was second in the world not long ago...

Well I don't want us to lose anymore. I think AC has already put the final nail in his own coffin.

What I think must happen is that we give our young guys a go. Let Du Preez and Janse Van Rensburg and Sergeal get a run. Let the team have some fun and see what happens. Nothing worse can happen anymore as everyone now expects that we will lose this match, the question is by what margin.

So I say, give the youngsters a go, and see what happens. Who knows, we might just beat them.

The thing is I think if we beat Wales, AC will find a way to convince people that things are going to start to change. With that he might keep his job.

I do agree that our younger players should get a shot. I have said it back then that the team that played against the Barbarians have been our best team this tour. Unfortunately I do not think AC will do it. He is going to probably stick to the same team with 1 or 2 changes.

Well I don't want us to lose anymore. I think AC has already put the final nail in his own coffin.

What I think must happen is that we give our young guys a go. Let Du Preez and Janse Van Rensburg and Sergeal get a run. Let the team have some fun and see what happens. Nothing worse can happen anymore as everyone now expects that we will lose this match, the question is by what margin.

So I say, give the youngsters a go, and see what happens. Who knows, we might just beat them.

Speaking in general, but you never want a team to lose, but if it will affect change then go ahead and lose. Any glimmer of improvement will be enough for Air Conditioner to keep his job.

I'm expecting a Welsh win I'm afraid. It's going to be a physical arm wrestle for the majority of it.

I know this wrong to say as a Springbok supporter, but I seriously want Wales to beat us in this match. We need to lose here to have any hope of getting new coaches.

I am so sick the fact that I am expecting us to lose every match and the worst part is I am not even getting upset anymore. I laughed when I saw the results against Italy.

AC has a win percentage of 36% with a team that was second in the world not long ago...

Hey, no fair. We want out coaches gone too!

In all seriousness, the potential that Wales could come out of this AI with
3/4 wins is laughable really. I'm not sure when was the last time Wales were playing so poorly? Even in the 2007 WC loss to Fiji we were scoring lovely try's, now we look clueless!

The thing is I think if we beat Wales, AC will find a way to convince people that things are going to start to change. With that he might keep his job.

I do agree that our younger players should get a shot. I have said it back then that the team that played against the Barbarians have been our best team this tour. Unfortunately I do not think AC will do it. He is going to probably stick to the same team with 1 or 2 changes.

yeah, But the articles I've read so far is that AC won't resign. He said that he "couldn't and wouldn't resign" and that it is "out of his hands". Which makes me think that the powers that be at SARU has already put a plan in motion. They have made statements of a full review of 2016 will be done and so on. But I hope they take heart in what the media and the fans are saying.

No Matter what happens against Wales, AC will not have a win % for the year of 2016. Which is unacceptable for any Springbok coach. So he must either fall on the sword, or get fired. But I think it will be a bad move to keep him in his position along with his original coaching staff. Smith and Ferreira was only appointed for this tour, so they will go back to their unions anyway after this weekend.

Hey, no fair. We want out coaches gone too!

In all seriousness, the potential that Wales could come out of this AI with
3/4 wins is laughable really. I'm not sure when was the last time Wales were playing so poorly? Even in the 2007 WC loss to Fiji we were scoring lovely try's, now we look clueless!

I suppose it is a positive that we have managed to win at least two games playing so poorly. SA fans I wouldn't lose faith, the Wales game plan is just run at the nearest defender which I'm sure you will cope with........ But then again I said they they wouldn't lose to Italy. :p:lol:

I can't see the Springboks winning this even if Wales are also playing bad. We have not won a away match since AC has taken over. We lost against Italy and have a win percentage of 36%...

I hope SARU does something about this and like heineken said I hope they listen to the media and fans.

usually id be well up for these two teams going at it. but with the current form of both teams this could potentially be the most boring match of the series. yes its normally an arm wrestle which is actually tense to watch when both teams are firing but we are both just so so poor at the moment. hopefully both teams just throw caution to the wind and selecter the youngsters and we actually see a decent game

What do we think Wales backrow will be? Faletau will start 8, so will it be Warbuton 6 and Tipiruc 7 or Moriaty 6 and Warbuton 7?

What do we think Wales backrow will be? Faletau will start 8, so will it be Warbuton 6 and Tipiruc 7 or Moriaty 6 and Warbuton 7?

how did he get on friday night? although i doubt he was anything below brilliant. i hope its moriaty 6 tips 7 and falatau at 8, or warburton at 6. although i fear we will get the same old trio of lydiate warburton and falatau with howley citing "its important we match their physicality at the break down and in defence BLAH BLAH BLAH". when you lose nothing in this aspect by selecting Tipuric, especially if warbs is playing 6.

how did he get on friday night? although i doubt he was anything below brilliant. i hope its moriaty 6 tips 7 and falatau at 8, or warburton at 6. although i fear we will get the same old trio of lydiate warburton and falatau with howley citing "its important we match their physicality at the break down and in defence BLAH BLAH BLAH". when you lose nothing in this aspect by selecting Tipuric, especially if warbs is playing 6.

I watched the game and he looked ok, but considering his last full match was probably about 6 moths ago it was not a bad performance at all. Ohh god, I can totally see that as well as Roberts and Biggar starting with Cuthbert on the bench.

Last edited:
I watched the game and he looked ok, but considering his last full match was probably about 6 moths ago it was not a bad performance at all. Ohh god, I can totally see that as well as Roberts and Biggar starting with Cuthbert on the bench.

i really hope we are wrong. Roberts was off in defence again, shot out of the line numerous times and japan just moved the ball quickly away and ran through the gap. everyone is going on about him being one dimensional in attack but its his defence that has let him down recently (not that williams is much better but still). if your going to have someone who is poor in defence then they better be able to score/create tries in return. Williams is the way forward at 12. i would even like to see Ben John at 13 although Davies will not be swapped anytime soon.

North will start in place of Cuthbert and hopefully Giles on the bench instead of Cuthbert. although this time Howley could show some big boy ******** by actually giving him some game time.

im not jumping on the Cuthbert bandwagon before someone spouts that nonsense, he is simply not good enough, and hasnt been for quite some time. making basic errors that you dont see from other regional players that have been overlooked. im not just talking about Giles as he's relatively new but other wingers in wales are more solid in attack and defence at the moment. nothing personal against the lad he just needs decent form from regional games before coming back into the national setup.

I think you are right this is an important selection. I've said it a few times here, but Tips has really struggled with the physicality of the breakdown at the international level. What Tips does bring is his outstanding skills in attack and his ability to link the forwards and the backs at crucial times. He has always been a fantastic impact player form the bench because he causes havoc when forwards are starting to tire. I'm not against starting him, but you have to play Warburton at 6 as he is so quick to clear out and is looking good at 6 at the moment.

I'd personally have Faletau 8 Warbs 7 and Moriarty 6 to start for this game, with Tips coming from the bench later. Im not sure of Faletau's fitness. If he's not fit then it may be safer to go Warbs, Tips and Moriarty and bring Faletau as an impact sub?

For Wales, I think we're going to see an extremely predictable team. Best we can hope for is Cuthbert being dropped in favour of Halfpenny on the wing, and possibly Scott Williams starting at 12. I'd like to think Tipuric was rested so that he can start with Warburton or Moriarty at 6, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if Lydiate makes the starting XV. Biggar will be 10 for probably at least 70 minutes unless he gets injured, and I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if Roberts doesn't start at 12.

It's a tough match to call because both teams are playing so badly. It's gonna be down to whoever wants it more on the day so we'll just have to see. Gut says Wales will pinch it and use the victory to justify the coaching team. Then a crap 6N will be explained away with "Well we beat South Africa in the Autumn so we can't be that bad".

I normally count myself as an optimistic and positive Welsh fan, but this Autumn series has really been tough to take.

I would rather have Peter de Villiers as coach again atleast he made comments we could laugh at after the matches now we have to see our bokkies lose and then hear that there is a lot a positives we can take from the match

Latest posts