• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] England vs. Argentina (11/11/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
England.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Argentina.png

Venue: Twickenham
Time: 16:30 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Notably a few forwards were left out of the training with the Welsh players - Dunn, Iseikwe, Simmonds and Mercer

In the clip that is Robshaw filling in at #8

Suggests we will see Simmonds left out, Hughes to go all 80 minutes and likely Itoje at blindside

Klaws
Itoje Underhill Hughes

Launch, Robshaw

Not bad tbf, put Binny back in when he's fit and that's a pretty sick back 5.
Would also slowly work Simmonds in as the bench backrower.

I'm torn between giving Lions players a bit of a rest so they're only on the bench... And playing them so we can attempt a big win to get confidence up. Also, can;t be losing to one of our pool rivals at RWC.

I guess something looking like this maybe a compromise?

1. Genge
2. Hartley
3. Cole
4. Launchbury
5.Lawes
6. Robshaw
7. Underhill
8. Hughes
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. May
12. Farrell
13. Joseph
14. Roko/Solomona
15. Watson

16. Mako
17. George (To come on half time really)
18. Williams (see above)
19. Itoje
20. Curry
21. Care
22. Francis/Slade (Not sure who but want them on the second it looks comfortable for Farrell)
23. Daly

So that would mean what. Itoje hughes underhill. Robshaw on the bench? Rather itoje at lock and lawes at 6 tbh.
If no simmonds it will be a shame but maybe he will get a shot in the third test.

We have alot of depth but i dont know who i would have as englands strongest team injuries and bans aside. (Except manu he isnt coming back haha)

Itoje was packing down in the second row when he and lawes were in the same pack before, so i don't think it makes too much difference

I'm torn between giving Lions players a bit of a rest so they're only on the bench... And playing them so we can attempt a big win to get confidence up. Also, can;t be losing to one of our pool rivals at RWC.

I guess something looking like this maybe a compromise?

1. Genge
2. Hartley
3. Cole
4. Launchbury
5.Lawes
6. Robshaw
7. Underhill
8. Hughes
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. May
12. Farrell
13. Joseph
14. Roko/Solomona
15. Watson

16. Mako
17. George (To come on half time really)
18. Williams (see above)
19. Itoje
20. Curry
21. Care
22. Francis/Slade (Not sure who but want them on the second it looks comfortable for Farrell)
23. Daly

Cant see brown not being in the 23 at all. Not saying i want him in there just that i cant see it

Cant see brown not being in the 23 at all. Not saying i want him in there just that i cant see it

If I had to have him in then stick Watson on the wing over Roko I guess, would prefer he wasn't there as well though.

Buzzing for this game, hopefully I have good seats. Hopefully see a strong England team put out there, with Farrell pulling the strings.

with Farrell pulling the strings.
From 10? With a good 10, of which you have a couple, Farrell is far more use at 12 in my opinion. His distribution and game management don't cut it at the very top level like Sexton's, Cruden's or on their good days Russell's and Barrett's in my opinion while sharing it with Ford really allows both to do it to a very high level save for them coming up against a better and in form partnership a la Dublin in March. (I've probably missed a lot of discussion on this in the EPS squad thread but that never stops going 90 and I don't care enough to follow it!)

From 10? With a good 10, of which you have a couple, Farrell is far more use at 12 in my opinion. His distribution and game management don't cut it at the very top level like Sexton's, Cruden's or on their good days Russell's and Barrett's in my opinion while sharing it with Ford really allows both to do it to a very high level save for them coming up against a better and in form partnership a la Dublin in March. (I've probably missed a lot of discussion on this in the EPS squad thread but that never stops going 90 and I don't care enough to follow it!)

I'd say the problem in Dublin was the pack and not our 10 and 12, they were feeble that game and allowed the Irish to boss the breakdown. That game was essentially a stalemate as both sides just nullified each other with the Irish getting the fortunate try. If the rest of the team give the 10 and 12 no options then kicking becomes the only resort. Any team with any savvy will expect that once they see the attack blunted and so it nullifies even that option. England did little more than 1 out passes all game to static forwards and only tried playing with more adventure when it was too late.

I think he pulls the strings for England from 12 personally. Ford gives him a bit more space but Farrell is playing brilliantly at the moment.

Ford and Farrell are bang on form right now and as Farrell is by far our best 12 for how we play he starts there. Ford also just happens to probably be one of the best 5 FH's in the world so him as an attacking 10 with Farrell outside him makes sense to carry into 2019. If Brown has a problem with May then that's even more of a reason for him to swivel.

England's 26-man squad:
Backs: Mike Brown (Harlequins), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Danny Care (Harlequins), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Leicester Tigers), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Alex Lozowski (Saracens), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).

Forwards: Tom Curry (Sale Sharks), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), Maro Itoje (Saracens), George Kruis (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs).

I really cant see ford faz slade working so slade has to be in that 22 shirt so
Youngs Ford May Faz(or Loz to rest Faz) JJ daly brown

Care Slade Watson on the bench.

Thats my backs prediction. He wants to rest lions but roko will be injury cover. Watson or daly to start, hoping for daly with watson as Wing FB cover.

England's 26-man squad:
Backs: Mike Brown (Harlequins), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Danny Care (Harlequins), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Leicester Tigers), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Alex Lozowski (Saracens), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).

Forwards: Tom Curry (Sale Sharks), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), Maro Itoje (Saracens), George Kruis (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs).

I really cant see ford faz slade working so slade has to be in that 22 shirt so
Youngs Ford May Faz(or Loz to rest Faz) JJ daly brown

Care Slade Watson on the bench.

Thats my backs prediction. He wants to rest lions but roko will be injury cover. Watson or daly to start, hoping for daly with watson as Wing FB cover.

Agree with you. Cant knock that. Missing grunt at 13 though aren't we. We not got any Jonathan Davies' coming through?

Can't see Watson not starting,
It'll be Daly vs May with the loser on the bench, as they're both left wingers (Well Daly isn't a winger, but he's only played left wing)

Can't see Watson not starting,
It'll be Daly vs May with the loser on the bench, as they're both left wingers (Well Daly isn't a winger, but he's only played left wing)

Both just had injuries so why risk it really, just play Roko.

I think Eddie Jones will put the strongest side out possible for the first game, will not want to take any chances even though England could probably rest a few and still come out on top.

Latest posts