• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] England vs. Australia (18/11/2017)

Bloody hell ncurd, you really are a one eyed pommie fan aren't you?
Nah you're a bloody idiot.
Beale was trying to catch that ball. If he had caught it he would have been off up the park like a robbers dog. He didn't catch it, but he didn't slap it away like Sonny Bill did last week against the French. He was
That yellow was harsh.
outstretch hand only got finger tips to it....not sure how you can say he was trying to catch it he was never going to. Textbook deliberate knock on any day of the week in a break situation the ref will always consider brandishing yellow.
Hoopers yellow was not harsh, he was playing like a dynamo to try and cover up the loss of Beale and he overplayed his hand and transgressed one time to many. It happens.
Agree it wasn't harsh but Beale was still on the pitch....so no idea who he was making up for....
Hoopers offside. He was a mile offside when the grubber went through he should have stopped immediately as that is the rule is it not, if you want to get back on side.
He never stopped moving forward so he buggered that up himself.
Not going to argue here.
Stephen Moore; for me that was a try, Robshaw was never going to stop that bloke from getting across the line and although there was a little interference it wasn't enough to make a difference.
Aussie were hard done by there but as Stephen Moore has shown himself to be a cheat on many past occasions I have little sympathy.
He stops Robshaw from making a clean tackle after that it's just if buts and maybe. Obstruction is obstruction we can only go by facts we know Robshaw was impeded that's the end of argument the referee can't and absolutely should not make a judgement how effective that tackle could of been.

Some of the SHITE in here :D

The Jones Boy said:
Beale was trying to catch that ball. If he had caught it he would have been off up the park like a robbers dog. He didn't catch it..

And he didn't catch it, so its a knock on, a knock on that stopped England running the ball right up the pitch again. Doesn't mater about intent, as that's subjective. The rule was broken, it stopped England having a decent chance so it was a yellow.

Hooper, was offside, he didn't stop. The only way that should be allowed is if the rules were changed, but they weren't, they've been that way a while. So its no try. Its not hard to understand.

Australia were not hard done by, they weren't 50/50 decisions. THEY ARE THE RULES OF RUGBY FFS!!

So much **** on this thread, including some posters who I thought better of.

I can always rely on this forum to remind me that england arent allowed to win whilst not being at their best or playing great rugby. If other sides do it, fine, if we do it people start reverting to stereotypes or saying "nothing to worry other teams"

Secondly I can see that some posters are determined not to understand the rule around deliberate knock-ons. Why is it so hard to grasp that the game falls apart when you allow defenders to wave one hand at the ball and claim they wanted to catch it. It's very easy to make it look like we wanted to intercept after the fact, you just trip over your self trying to catch the ball and try and look gutted at being denied a breakaway try. Even if there was a semi chance at an intercept, you've still got to treat it firmly in potential try scoring positions for the same reason that the game goes to **** when people flail at the ball and deny attacking opportunities with immunity. Beale wouldn't catch that ball in a million years and england would have been away. Not a hard call, not remotely.

Next, why do some people think rhat just becsuse one team has been sin binned the referee had to take the neareet chance to even things out? It really doesn't wprk like that at all. There were no comparable offences meriting the same treatment.

Hooper, already discussed. He knew what was coming, hence why he pretended not to hear the referee calling him over on the first five occasions...

Well it seems a lot of teams not worried about England have lost to England. Long may they continue to not worry.

Nah you're a bloody idiot.

I have my moments. ;-)

Beale's outstretch hand only got finger tips to it....not sure how you can say he was trying to catch it he was never going to.

He got his hand to it, if you get your hand to it then you know you're in with a chance of catching it.
He certainly didn't bat it down like Sonny Bill.
Seen them given, seen them let go with a knock on.

Textbook deliberate knock on any day of the week in a break situation the ref will always consider brandishing yellow.

Maybe more in recent times but certainly not always.

He stops Robshaw from making a clean tackle after that it's just if buts and maybe. Obstruction is obstruction we can only go by facts we know Robshaw was impeded that's the end of argument the referee can't and absolutely should not make a judgement how effective that tackle could of been.

I hear you but...
Seen tries like that given, that's the problem, it's never cut and dried.
England definitely got the rub of the green but for me I still feel that they were the better team and deserved the win on the day.

Stop whining about it, it happened and you got the victory.

I've got a good pommie mate who lives on the Isle of Wight.
He sent me a text after the game that reads...

"I love Kiwi Refs."

I mentioned that there were some interesting occurrences and calls in the game that went England's way and in his straight forward manner he replied, "I don't give a ****. "

At least he was honest ;-)

Got to agree with all points on the match. Crazy that Hooper is now the most yellow carded international rugby player in history, after such a short test career. As much as the final scoreline flattered England, it does prove that it's an 80 minute game, Eddie wanted the "fittest team in world rugby" and this is probably what he was going for.

Would have been interesting to see an England vs NZ this weekend, would have been very close. England aren't quite there but by next AI's on the current trend, it'll be a great game.

The ERU won't pay the money so we don't see the game.
New Zealand are in transition and they are tired, they look like they are doing just enough to win...
...at Twickenham, at this time of the year the smart money would have to be on the St George gang.

Last edited:
Eddie Jones in his interview even conceded England got "the rub of the green"and" bounce of the ball". It's called hometown cooking

We call it the Twickenham effect.

Before I get belted with black kettles I would say I do feel that the AB's often get the rub of the green at Eden park, in a way they don't elsewhere, there's just something about Eden Park.

The ERU won't pay the money so we don't see the game.
New Zealand are in transition and they are tired, they look like they are doing just enough to win...
...at Twickenham, at this time of the year the smart money would have to be on the St George gang.

Thought the game was scheduled for next year? http://www.autumn-internationals.co.uk/2018/ must have come to an agreement of such.

Sorry for the delay - but I only noticed this morning.
Aus nabbed the Raeburn Shield of the All Blacks in the 3rd and final Bledisloe Cup match of the year; then defended it against Wales; and handed it over to England.
So we've got to defend the shield against Samoa, and then hopefully carry it through the 6N!

[www.raeburnshield.com]

For those who don't know:
The Raeburn Shield is a Challenge Trophy to be put up by the current holder, or defender, in every match it plays home or away (in the same manner as a world boxing ***le). The winner would either remain or become the holder.

It stretches back in this manner from the very first game of International Rugby Union in 1871 between Scotland and England played at Raeburn Place in Edinburgh (Hence the name).

Sorry for the delay - but I only noticed this morning.
Aus nabbed the Raeburn Shield of the All Blacks in the 3rd and final Bledisloe Cup match of the year; then defended it against Wales; and handed it over to England.
So we've got to defend the shield against Samoa, and then hopefully carry it through the 6N!

[www.raeburnshield.com]

For those who don't know:
The Raeburn Shield is a Challenge Trophy to be put up by the current holder, or defender, in every match it plays home or away (in the same manner as a world boxing ***le). The winner would either remain or become the holder.

It stretches back in this manner from the very first game of International Rugby Union in 1871 between Scotland and England played at Raeburn Place in Edinburgh (Hence the name).

Never knew about that. Interesting to know.

He conceded that we quite literally got the bounce of the ball with Dalys try, but disputed that we were lucky or undeserving

More to the point, he differentiated between lucky bounces, which we did get, and being lucky with ref decisions, which he said was not the case.

I thought that the Aussie whinging may have calmed down today but if anything it's gone next level, it's been literally stupefying reading some of the s*** that I have over the last 48 hours. I think I'd have more luck debating with devotees from the Flat Earth Society...the saltiness is strong for sure.

On a seperate note having watched the game again, I'm relatively pleased in England's performance, I thought that they actually played quite intelligently in the conditions (one or two exemptions). Itoje will be disappointed in himself for butchering a great opportunity but apart from that I felt that we were pretty clinical when we had chances apart from when the Aussies cynically infringed resulting in the 2 YCs or when the ref called Launch for a knock on with the try line beckoning (Aussies have been extremely diligent for the most part in completely ignoring this instance when berating the ref for his one sided and incompetent reffing.)

I was really pleased with how the second row went, I thought that they were both superb.

Scrum wise, who the hell knows. The ref was extremely officious here and IMO didn't seem to have the faintest idea what was going on but massively favoured Australia.

Bench impact, fitness, superior speed and spot on decision making were the really enjoyable things about the last 10 minutes or so which amounted to three really well taken tries.

I've read a number of comments today on Aussie forums that Australia can take a moral victory from the fact that they were still very much in it at the 70 minute mark...which IMO is great as it shows how far we have come that teams can take moral victories from losing to us by 24 points, that sort of reasoning is usually reserved for valiant efforts against the ABs.

Have to say it's 14 years since I've seen this level of denial after a win.

ABs have realised they are mortal, couldn't win a series against a coaching duo that had problem negotiating a fixture against Georgia. Genuinely fear what may have happened had Townsend and EJ coached the side.

Aus beat the ABs bit completely bottled it in the last 10 minutes against England (which is actually how they lost the game).

S.A. well their fans are not in denial just their authorities are.

Wales desperately hoping to see the back of Gatland but fear Howley will step up.

Scotland genuinely don't give a **** after a real turgid decade they've discovered they can play rugby again.

France shafted.

Ireland constantly stuffing it up away from home. Know they are better than that.

England on the other hand will very likely to into the new year likely and recorded 1 loss in two years.

Latest posts