• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] France vs. Japan (25/11/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
France.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Japan.png

Venue: U Arena, Nanterre
Time: 20:45 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

The best result for French rugby would be a defeat, if only to convince the shameless powers that be that French rugby is far from where it should be, particularly with the Rugby World Cup coming soon. Allez les Blossoms !!

Japanese team.

Tanaka (top scrum half) goes on the bench. Aside from that it's largely the same team that played Australia and Tonga, with the same handful of players who just debuted in the last 3 weeks.
(Koo, Van der Walt, Himeno, Valu, Lautaimi, Teaupa)

France should win this without too much trouble. Japan are only here to develop depth, and the big scoreline over Tonga was overly flattering to Japan. (Japan dominated but Tonga bungled 2 sure tries, and had 2 YCs).

If France somehow bungle this, they drop to 10th in the rankings. (or 11th if the margin is big enough. One place higher if Fiji can't beat Canada)

171123_japan_member-731x1024.jpg

Last edited:
I don't even know who Nagare is at scrum half. Shigeno has really fallen out of favour for some reason.

Otherwise a strong Japanese side from 7-15, comparable in quality to a Tier1 nation like Wales or France. If they can somehow miracle up a way to not be destroyed by the French pack then I can see them getting around 20 points, which could be remotely competitive.

I don't even know who Nagare is at scrum half. Shigeno has really fallen out of favour for some reason.

Otherwise a strong Japanese side from 7-15, comparable in quality to a Tier1 nation like Wales or France. If they can somehow miracle up a way to not be destroyed by the French pack then I can see them getting around 20 points, which could be remotely competitive.

And the best way they can avoid locking horns with the French pack is by moving the ball as much as they can. Easier said than done. Game is on a fast synthetic surface though.
If they can move the French pack around and hold onto the ball, they will have done half of the job (the other half consisting in actually taking their scoring opps).
Im sure the French team have their heads so far down the toilet now that a Jap win wouldn't surprise me. 6 defeats in a row. Confidence shattered. Players locked for weeks in the toxic environment of Marcoussis. A captain and staff under scrutiny. It doesn't get any better for the opposition.

Who knows Xmas could come in earlier for the Japenese team they're wearing the right colours for it...

Shigeno wasn't even in the squad. Hasn't played for Japan since the ARC. (according to ESPN Scrum)
Nagere has been the sub 9 all tour. I thought he was decent against Tonga though. He's also a Sunwolf (but listed as "did not play" for 2017). Debuted for Japan during the ARC this year apparently.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Remember there are 6 actual debutants this tour and they aren't just getting one game either. I think Joseph is using these tests (even vs Australia) as a chance to build depth, because he knows the Sunwolves can't afford to sacrifice big games - Japan would get dumped from Super Rugby, but no one can take the RWC away from them.

Banking on a French win here for a bet. Whats the odds looking like? Not overly familiar with the form and team of Japan.

I'd love to say Japan got to this scoreline after 18 mins on merit, but the ref isn't being very friendly to the French.

French backs giving away a lot of meters to Japanese attacks, Japanese backs making some good last-chance tackles.

Japaneese play good & modern rugby but still lack few things which allowed France to stay Alive....

So when do Japan decide they want to win this and get Tanaka on the field?

I have to say I wanted japan to Win this one. Theys were the better side today.

Last edited:
No defeat. Massive improvement on the 6 previous defeats.

This is what you get for playing in a concert hall.

I bet on 60 000 Irish supporters filling the Stade de France next February.

So, a creditable draw for the French against superior opposition which reassures me that all is well in the XV de France and that a shake-up of the FFR that we thought was needed is no longer necessary.

This is not over for FFR. They've signed up for more whether they like or not. This one has been building up for a long time.

What goes around comes around. There is no cavalry coming. More like a calvary.

Fans over here are not known for turning against their club. They'll make an exception for the union though...

Watch the attendance for the next 2 years at Stade de France. They'll be giving those 6N tickets away in February.

Hah, Calvary indeed - you got your eclipse too before kickoff. Seemed to be a few new faces for France but still plenty of experience and absolutely no excuse. A far stronger French selection than say the Welsh one that drew against Japan last year.

After always bigging up Tamura, that missed kick to win the game is the first time I've seen him absolutely choke. Such a shame, but ultimately the result was less important than being able to compete against a side with a far superior pack. This didn't flatter Japan at all in my opinion and they gave themselves the platform for their quality players to make an impact.

I already can't wait to see the progress made by the Sunwolves.

Highlights below:

Latest posts