• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] Ireland vs. Argentina (25/11/2017)

Not really relevant at all though, is it?
We're talking about a game happening in a couple of days.
Games decade ago don't matter with regards to current form, Games in two years certainly don't matter with regards to current form.

Argentina look terrible at the moment, That's all I'm saying.

99 and 2007 you also had injuried players?
I don't see how this in in any way relevant. The 1999 World Cup and subsequent 2000 mauling in Twickenham are the best things to happen to Irish rugby in a long time. Got Ireland to rip it all up and start again.

2007 was an abject failure.

2015 was disappointing but in hindsight, completely understandable. Ireland didn't have the depth to cope with injuries to all their key players. In no way is that an excuse, Argentina were much better as I mentioned in my previous post. Depth issues are being worked on with players like James Ryan and Andrew Porter being fast tracked and the full squad being used in the Summer and November test periods.

Why the obsession with Ireland?

So do the Boks, the French and arguably the All Blacks.
Big deal.
It's easy to look at results and say this is the case but it doesn't work very well. Ireland haven't reached a semi final but the only cups they've underachieved in are 99 and 07 if you ask me. We were legitimately awful in the late 80's and 90's, 2003 we did as expected, 2011 we probably overachieved beating the Aussies with a coach who had given us no hope of doing anything prior to the tournament, 15 we lost our five best players for the qf and lost to a fresh Argentina side a week after one of the most physical games of rugby ever. The narrative goes that we choke at World Cups but with the exception of 2007 and 2015 we have never brought a top 4 side into one, 1999 we were an amateur set up competing professionally, 2007 we choked, 2015 we hadn't the depth because our coach had less than two years to prepare for it. The only teams better positioned for the next RWC than Ireland are England and NZ and all those sides are winning while not looking impressive this Autumn while trying new combinations. Both England and Ireland looked better at times in 2016 than at any time in 2017, neither have a high age profile, both are a top 4 side. SA, Argentina, Wales etc... Have to catch up and overtake sides that are improving themselves, I wouldn't trade places despite any history at RWCs.

It's easy to look at results and say this is the case but it doesn't work very well. Ireland haven't reached a semi final but the only cups they've underachieved in are 99 and 07 if you ask me. We were legitimately awful in the late 80's and 90's, 2003 we did as expected, 2011 we probably overachieved beating the Aussies with a coach who had given us no hope of doing anything prior to the tournament, 15 we lost our five best players for the qf and lost to a fresh Argentina side a week after one of the most physical games of rugby ever. The narrative goes that we choke at World Cups but with the exception of 2007 and 2015 we have never brought a top 4 side into one, 1999 we were an amateur set up competing professionally, 2007 we choked, 2015 we hadn't the depth because our coach had less than two years to prepare for it. The only teams better positioned for the next RWC than Ireland are England and NZ and all those sides are winning while not looking impressive this Autumn while trying new combinations. Both England and Ireland looked better at times in 2016 than at any time in 2017, neither have a high age profile, both are a top 4 side. SA, Argentina, Wales etc... Have to catch up and overtake sides that are improving themselves, I wouldn't trade places despite any history at RWCs.
Pack it in lad, lets spend the next two years being miserable expectation tempering ********, because it's bound to come crashing down based on past results. Then if we do get knocked out we can both try be the first to yell 'I told you so' and that will make us feel muuuuch better.
Anyway, rumored 15
1. Healy
2. Best
3. Furlong
4. Henderson
5. Ryan
6. POM
7. SOB
8. CJ
9.Murray
10.Sexton
11. Stockdale
12+13. Aki Henshaw Farrell (not sure of centre combo, but Henshaw not 100% fit)
14. Byrne
15. Robnoxious Kearnage

16. Herring 18. Ryan 23.Conway (can assume in other sub spots)

James Ryan being seriously fast tracked if true. No harm. Also Byrne wut?

Last edited:
Were a bunch of posts deleted? Looks like some of you are talking yourselves, especially Olyy.

If Ryan and Byrne start it'll be a pretty exciting team with threats all over the place, though defensively suspect, especially with rumours of Henshaw being injured.
If Byrne starts, Kearney absolutely has to. Think people calling his last game a horror show is more due a bounce of ball and not doing anything particularly exciting. Wasn't amazing but was a solid 6, organised the back three well so we never had any territory problems and had some nice moments like a beautiful clearance and rucking for Ruddock's try.

Earls and Little Kearney exposed RK as much as anything in that game. RK is a very good defender who's usually in the right place at the right time, its part of the reason he's number one.
Not a hope. You way way way overestimate RK man. It's a pity he is there on something other than rugby ability now as in alot of people' eyes he won't be rated as highly as he should have been in his prime for alot of clouded views. Leinster rate him highly but outside Leinster he is argubally viewed behind Conway Zebo Carbery Stockdale O'Halloran and Lamour as a 15.
He wil start vs Art and I accept that as rotation but if he is seen as a serious part of RWC2019 squad Ireland will not do well and that is a fact

Were a bunch of posts deleted? Looks like some of you are talking yourselves, especially Olyy.

If Ryan and Byrne start it'll be a pretty exciting team with threats all over the place, though defensively suspect, especially with rumours of Henshaw being injured.
If Byrne starts, Kearney absolutely has to. Think people calling his last game a horror show is more due a bounce of ball and not doing anything particularly exciting. Wasn't amazing but was a solid 6, organised the back three well so we never had any territory problems and had some nice moments like a beautiful clearance and rucking for Ruddock's try.
Kearney had 5 wayward passes, lost out in 2 aerial challenges he should have won, ate up space for Conway and Stockdale on few occasions and wasn't perfect tackling. And that was general consensus. Much more than a bounce and also this was on basis of getting in to team on no form or match fitness. However I'm not slamming him starting just stating what last game was.

As I said it is a simple case of argubally he is way overrated from Leinster fans and not really rated by many outside there

At the end of the day no matter how the scores goes we´ll unite to hate the Englishman or Australia(all should hate them). xD

As for the 2015 team Ayerza was key he force penalties. Hernandez/Bosh locked down midfield and Imhoff added an extra burst to all plays. Ireland/Scotts/Wales are the same as us usually. They have 15 strong and 2 good subs. Change 5/6 players and they lose a lot.

@Petit, they are right to think they crush us. We never played well in this tests, they have better team, more motivated and Gameplan.

I have a deal to propose to the irish

Help us to expel Hourcade by winning with a margin of victory > 40 points
If you do so, I promise you that we are not going to eliminate you in the next world cup

Fuera Hourcade !!!
Vamos los pumas !

Latest posts