• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] Ireland vs. Fiji (18/11/2017)

The good: were Carberry when given a platform, Conway looked good, Healy seriously announced himself again with some trademark carries, Keatley kept his bottle.
The mixed: The ammount of carries made by Conan and Ruddock showed great workrate, but they weren't generally worth many metres and it got so easy to defend. Sweetnam had an ok debut. Dillane started well, but faded a good bit. Few other guys were a bit meh.
The Bad: Marmion was straight up crap and couldn't run the show to save his life. Forwards had to take way too much on and he was so hesitant in position, making decisions while in the process of drifting across the pitch with the ball. Crap interception from Kearney. Was nowhere to be seen for another try that went in his wing. We were caught so narrow so often. That centre partnership was as ill conceived as I thought it would be. Two crashers, neither with particularly good handling skills taking flat passes to varying degrees of mediocrity from set pieces over and over. McCloskey definitely came off the better of the two though. Was never going to be successful against any semi competent defending team.

Ireland will have learned a lot more from this than the trouncings handed out to Canada and Georgia the last couple of Novembers.

Of the inexperienced players, Andrew Conway, Darren Sweetnam, Joey Carbery and Andrew Porter (largely because he wasn't reamed in the scrum) advanced their causes.

Of the experienced players, Cian Healy made a big impact. Kieran Marmion, Jack McGrath, Dave Kearney and Jordi Murphy were nowhere near good enough.

Thought the centres were quite poor.

Happy for Ian Keatley after the abuse he got a couple of years ago.

Phew... Ball retention is why POM is ahead of Ruddock and Jordi didn't originally make the squad I think it's fair to say! That some silly wing play and Marmion and Farrell being useless let Finish in it.

Luke McGrath and Garry Ringrose were both marvelous place kickers back in school and Carbery didn't place kick, bizarre that Irish rugby seems determined for the 10 to always place kick. Luke McG would be my second choice, I don't rate Marmion higher than Cooney either.

Kearney, Stockdale, Henshaw, Aki, Conway, Sexton, Murray, CJ, SOB, POM, Hendo, Toner, Furlong, Best, Healy
Herring, McGrath, Ryan, Ryan, Conan, McGrath, Carbs, Sweetnam

Next week presuming fitness and a 1st XV. I wish Earl's was around to see Conway at 15 though, I'd like to see him tested in the air.

Conway was brilliant.
I know Andrew Conway won the MotM award but I thought Darren Sweetnam was better. Conway made a couple of errors, kicking loosely to the Fijian full back late in the game and also putting boot to ball rather than back his pace to beat the defender down the left wing in the second half.

Sweetnam on the other hand showed great feet in tight space down the touchline and held his depth really well to hit the ball at pace almost every time. He's the biggest winner from today for me.

On Andrew Porter, the fact that there were a lot of scrums was great for him. Even allowing for the fact that he wasn't facing a formidable scrum, he didn't budge an inch. Hopefully he starts for Leinster next week, assuming John Ryan is back for Ireland.

Luke McGrath and Garry Ringrose were both marvelous place kickers back in school and Carbery didn't place kick, bizarre that Irish rugby seems determined for the 10 to always place kick. Luke McG would be my second choice, I don't rate Marmion higher than Cooney either.

Kearney, Stockdale, Henshaw, Aki, Conway, Sexton, Murray, CJ, SOB, POM, Hendo, Toner, Furlong, Best, Healy

Next week presuming fitness and a 1st XV. I wish Earl's was around to see Conway at 15 though, I'd like to see him tested in the air.
Carbery may have fractured his arm.

I know Andrew Conway won the MotM award but I thought Darren Sweetnam was better. Conway made a couple of errors, kicking loosely to the Fijian full back late in the game and also putting boot to ball rather than back his pace to beat the defender down the left wing in the second half.

Sweetnam on the other hand showed great feet in tight space down the touchline and held his depth really well to hit the ball at pace almost every time. He's the biggest winner from today for me.

On Andrew Porter, the fact that there were a lot of scrums was great for him. Even allowing for the fact that he wasn't facing a formidable scrum, he didn't budge an inch. Hopefully he starts for Leinster next week, assuming John Ryan is back for Ireland.
Sweetnam was far from flawless, he'll get murdered by Joe for one penalty conceded in particular from memory and had a wayward kick as well and another brainfart as well if I remember correctly. Conway was the best Irish player in my opinion although he ate up Sweetnam's space like an amateur would down the right wing in the second half he usually had positive playmaking contributions. Carbery would follow before the injury (which if he has fractured his arm is horrendous for Ster) and then Sweetnam. I was reasonably pleased with Conan, Toner and Porter and can't complain about McCloskey or Herring.

As a unit the pack was awful though, Fiji were terrible at the breakdown but still forced turnover after turnover, no composure at all really.

Not disagreeing with that just few points.
Keith still a possibility but slim.
Kilcoyne may get ahead of Jack again.
Lastly Carbery looked like a man that may have a break until the new year

On Porter. I was 1 asking a bit and here is what I wanted. No hype just let him learn his way. Did fine and was comfortable and as we all know is still raw. Lenihan gave great explanation on why it's so difficult moving from LH to TH too.
Sweets made few little errors too but for a guy with basically no international rugby before today he was good. Bit Conway really has became a player taking on more responsibility in my eyes.
1 thing I really hope though is Carbery is monitored carefully. Don' want to see him become Madigan v2. He needs to play alot more at 10 if he is to be there long term

Not disagreeing with that just few points.
Keith still a possibility but slim.
Kilcoyne may get ahead of Jack again.
Lastly Carbery looked like a man that may have a break until the new year
If Earls is in RK is out.
I couldn't begrudge Kilcoyne that, McGrath is the better player and will be the better option in 2019 but right now its definitely up for debate.
Yeah, terrible for Leinster but hopefully he can put a few KG on his frame if he does have a break, he needs it to survive those sorts of collisions.
1 thing I really hope though is Carbery is monitored carefully. Don' want to see him become Madigan v2. He needs to play alot more at 10 if he is to be there long term
That won't happen, as one of Mads biggest fans I'll readily admit that he never had the range of passing or tactical kicking Carbery possesses which makes JC a natural 10 in my eyes, although more exposure to Schmidt every week would be ideal. He could learn from Madigan a bit when it comes to thinking a few phases ahead though, he does panic at times and hop, skip and jump his way into traffic, it'll come.

I couldn't begrudge Kilcoyne that, McGrath is the better player and will be the better option in 2019 but right now its definitely up for debate.
Yeah, terrible for Leinster but hopefully he can put a few KG on his frame if he does have a break, he needs it to survive those sorts of collisions.

That won't happen, as one of Mads biggest fans I'll readily admit that he never had the range of passing or tactical kicking Carbery possesses which makes JC a natural 10 in my eyes, although more exposure to Schmidt every week would be ideal. He could learn from Madigan a bit when it comes to thinking a few phases ahead though, he does panic at times and hop, skip and jump his way into traffic, it'll come.
On Earls call that is 1 we will agree
On McGrath comment. No debating that. As I've been saying for weeks McGrath is suffering from Lions tour. No fears of him long term just has to ride out the form.
On Carbery he looks more built now compared to last year but retained his running skills so whatever he's done keep it going.
On Carbery at 10. He only gathers that experience when in 10 or being around it to settle more. That's what my point is the more he's say the harder it is to return there easy. But equally it hard for Leinster when it could be argued Byrne there suits them more. On the plus he does have Sexton as club mate so that will help. I don't know the perfect solution just as I say hope he isn't lost to constant moving

Schmidt and Richie Murphy have spoken about Carberry playing fullback as being something they're quite happy with as it's adding stuff to his game he wouldn't have otherwise. Also better he gets actual gametime.

He also plays at first receiver a lot at Leinster and the type of kicks he puts in from 15 are similar to what he likes at 10. Game management is my one concern but Schmidt made PJ what he is in regards to that rather than anyone in Ulster in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he shouldn't be 15 or anything just like Alpha said there. Game management is the area I'm thinking and issues like that. Things you can only learn at 10. I don't doubt Joeys skill or ability for 1 second

My thanks to Ireland for making me feel better about Italy's narrow (but more comfortable) win last week against Fiji. This result has singlehandedly restored my baseless optimism for doing the double on the Boks.

A crazy fortnight of scorelines for Fiji, Ireland, Scotland and Samoa. Way more unpredictable than I expected.

It wasn't Madigan's technical skills that made him a bad 10 it was his poor game management, constantly making stupid or incorrect decisions and ******** the bed anytime he was under pressure. At the moment from what I've seen of Carbery at 10 it's looking like he's heading down the same road, especially in the third quarter of the game yesterday when he needed to calm things down. BUT, he's only 22 and hasn't had a run of games at 10 for a while and from what I recall of last season he was much better when he played OH consistently.

Latest posts