• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] Italy vs. Argentina (18/11/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Italy.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Argentina.png

Venue: Stadio Artemio Franchi, Florence
Time: 15:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Despite improvement in Italy I think Argentina are too good and match up well as they will be difficult for Italy's defence to contain.

Despite Argentina's woes I think they are a couple of years ahead of Italy in terms of their pro clubs, player development and playing style. I will settle for Italy playing some actual rugby (rather than anti-rugby) and keeping it within 7-10 points. The Pumas will fight to keep Hourcade in a job as he has not lost the dressing room.

Tough game for both teams
The Pumas will be eager to win and Italy still isn't at their level
Although it's their end of the season and some tiredness might help us
Focus on Italian Performance rather than result, after the win against Fiji

Well, in the last 12 months we've lost every single game except for our victory, at home, against Georgia.

I was watching today Pichot's speech at WR today (if you haven't do, it's a nice speech), during which it looked like he had teary eyes. I am not sure, but he might have been thinking of where we were in 2015 and where we are now. That'd explain it.

Well, in the last 12 months we've lost every single game except for our victory, at home, against Georgia.

I was watching today Pichot's speech at WR today (if you haven't do, it's a nice speech), during which it looked like he had teary eyes. I am not sure, but he might have been thinking of where we were in 2015 and where we are now. That'd explain it.

well guess what, our only win came up last saturday so we are pretty even :D

I am pretty excited about this game. I think that both teams will badly want a victory. I think that Argentina has to be given the edge based on their heritage and the individual class of some of their players. But Italy has a right to be confident and will be playing at home.

If we defend like last week then Italy will struggle and if they commit errors attacking i know we have the firepower to hurt them but as always is a big "IF".

Teams - Italy unchanged

Italy: 15 Jayden Hayward, 14 Leonardo Sarto, 13 Tommaso Boni, 12 Tomasso Castello, 11 Mattia Bellini, 10 Carlo Canna, 9 Marcello Violi, 8 Sergio Parisse (c), 7 Abraham Steyn, 6 Francesco Minto, 5 Dean Budd, 4 Marco Fuser, 3 Simone Ferrari, 2 Luca Bigi, 1 Andrea Lovotti
Replacements: 16 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 17 Federico Zani, 18 Dario Chistolini, 19 Federico Ruzza, 20 Giovanni Licara, 21 ***o Tebaldi, 22 Ian McKinley, 23 Matteo Minozzi

Argentina: 15 Joaquin Tuculet, 14 Sebastian Cancelliere, 13 Matias Orlando, 12 Santiago Gonzalez Iglesias, 11 Emiliano Boffelli, 10 Nicolas Sanchez, 9 Martin Landajo, 8 Juan Manuel Leguizamon, 7 Marcos Kremer, 6 Pablo Matera, 5 Tomas Lavanini, 4 Matias Alemanno, 3 Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro, 2 Agustin Creevy (c), 1 Santiago Garcia Botta
Replacements: 16 Julian Montoya, 17 Lucas Noguera, 18 Enrique Pieretto, 19 Guido Petti, 20 Banjamin Macome, 21 Gonzalo Bertranou, 22 Juan Martin Hernandez, 23 Matias Moroni

Last edited:
Both sides are desperate for a win. I can see this being a bit of a scrappy mess.

BY the 15 min mark we had commites two offensive blocks penalties in italy s 22. I actually lost count the total number of penalties by min 20.

Italy completely dominant at the set piece and Canna has his kicking boots on today. But they are completely failing to replicate the attacking play of their club sides and Argentina look infinitely more dangerous with ball in hands. For some reason Italy turned down a couple of chances to use their maul near the Argentine try line. If they do that in the second half they might win this ugly.

The Puma's set piece is a joke and explains a lot about their struggles in the past couple of years. But at least Canciellere is looking the business - he took his try well. Hard to believe it is the same fairly skinny kid I saw playing scrum half for Argentina XV earlier in the year.

Argentina much improved in the second half. Competed at the set piece and made use of their improved possession for what turned out to be a routine victory. Apart from a spell in the 50-60 minute mark where Italy felt able to run and pass with the ball there was little to cheer here except the set piece. I remain unconvinced by O'Shea (when it comes to coaching a team) and Catt (backs coach) - particularly now as we see the same players playing so much better for their clubs than was previously the case. Nil chance of a dream repeat against the Boks on this evidence.

Latest posts