• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] Italy vs. Fiji (11/11/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Italy.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Fiji.png

Venue: Stadio Angelo Massimino, Catania
Time: 16:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

The Italian sides' mini revival this season could mean that we see a close game here. Fiji broke into the world top 10 recently and I don't see them losing this one.
Hopefully we will see a transfer of the Treviso and Zebre's form to the national side though.

Italy should be fine. Will concede tries but should be able to do this at home.

Rumours are Wales want more creativity at 12, so why on earth not pick Scott Williams who helped run the Scarlets attack last year? One of the most surprising non-selections I can think of from recent years given the absence of proven alternatives.

Ahem, not quite sure what happened there with my misspost. I've turned into a bungling incompetent it seems. Anyhoo, I'm excited for this one. A team filled with players so naturally strong and gifted that neutrals can't help but tune in and watch the skills on display with slack jawed awe. But that's enough about the Zebre players.

Italy should have won this fixture in June, losing by three points and on reflection it is fair to say Italy did show some real improved form in June (to corroborate the improvement in their club sides). Fiji are head and shoulders the best Pacific Islanders right now and meriting their top 10 place so it won't be easy. The pressure is off Italy here with their banker against the Springboks later in the November still to come. But if they have any ambition for multiple victories this November they have to win this one. First win of 2017 upcoming!

And it should be the first ever appearance of a player with protective glasses

Yup. Giovanni McKinley selected on the bench. Gutted to see Jayden d'Hayward get the nod ahead of genuine Italian product Minozzi who has had a great start to the season. Is Padovani injured? Would have liked Gori or Bronzini at 9 for a bit more experience. But that is a squad of Italians who have been playing okay at squad level and are quite creative. Very optimistic here.

Italian side:
Italy: 15 Jayden Hayward, 14 Leonardo Sarto, 13 Tommaso Boni, 12 Tomasso Castello, 11 Mattia Bellini, 10 Carlo Canna, 9 Marcello Violi, 8 Sergio Parisse (c), 7 Abraham Steyn, 6 Francesco Minto, 5 Dean Budd, 4 Marco Fuser, 3 Simone Ferrari, 2 Luca Bigi, 1 Andrea Lovotti
Replacements: 16 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 17 Federico Zani, 18 Dario Chistolini, 19 Marco Lazzaroni, 20 Giovanni Licara, 21 Edoardo Gori, 22 Ian McKinley, 23 Matteo Minozzi

Italy dominate territory in the first half and show some ambition for open play, but defences are on top. Fiji capitalise on sloppy defensive lapses from Italy in the last 5 mins of the half and go in at the break at 10-10 (unlucky for Fiji to not be ahead).

Good to see a decent crowd in Sicily, hundreds of miles from the Italian rugby strongholds further north.

A diabolical second half with a catalogue of errors, mainly from Fiji. Italy seemed nervous about the prospect of winning their first game this year and played with no ambition, but win 19-10. A win is a win. They soar to 13th in the world rankings and can probably play with less nerves against the Pumas and Boks.

For UK viewers wanting to see the French and Italian games legally it appears they are shown "as live" following the end of match on Freesporits (Freeview channel 95).

The Italy game is being re-run now. But don't bother with the second half!

Just a word for "Giovanni" McKinley - brilliant to see the climb to the top take another massive step. All credit to him for having the balls to take to the field after what happened never mind having the perseverance to climb the mountain to International level.

Latest posts