• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] Japan vs. Tonga (18/11/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Japan.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Tonga.png

Venue: Stade Ernest-Wallon, Toulouse
Time: 18:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Another RWC preview. I expect Japan to squeak out a narrow victory here but with the pressure of the same fixture in the RWC I think Japan could buckle.

Teams.

So Japan have new guys at 3, 4, 6 and 14 (ish) (& 3 subs). Everything else looks top choice except maybe 11.
(same new players as 2 weeks ago vs Australia except the debutant #3 - 1st choice #5 & #10 were rested vs Australia)

Japan are still treating it like a training exercise it seems. Should be pretty close.

Last edited:
Didn't notice that was at a neutral venue. Quite fancy Tonga to take this. Looks like a live stream from World Rugby.

Fair to say I called this one wrong. I should have guessed with the excellent Tamura starting again at 10. 27-6 at the half.

wonder why Tonga didn't use Kalamafoni, Mapaplangi and Veainu? Don't get me wrong i'm happy Tigers got them back but still.

That might help explain why my judgement was so bad for this one. I don't know individual Tongans so can't judge if they are playing below strength. Best Tongan on the park was Lemeki, man of the match for Japan. Great to see him back to top form after his terrible injury this time last year. Tonga did look solid in the second half and left lots of points on the board, but still, encouraging for Japan. Fukuoka had a finish for his try. I doubt the French pack next week will give Japan the opportunity to give their backs the ball in good places.

The *one time* I'm not bullish about Japan!

The scoreline reminds me of Sunwolves vs Blues not that long ago. Though I see 17 of Japan's points were scored while Tonga had a yellow card.

Wait, 2 yellow cards by Tonga? Do they think they're in Christchurch playing against Lebanon?

Japan gains a Rankings Point and a bit, but the top 10 proves to be a moving target they're barely any closer to breaking into.

Last edited:

Latest posts