• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] Romania vs. Tonga (25/11/2017)

amz

Bench Player
Country Flag
Romania
Club or Nation
Romania
Arcul de Triumf
18:00 Romanian timezone ; 17 UK timezone

ROMANIA

1. Lazar (Castres)
2. Radoi (Timisoara Saracens)
3. Tarus (Sale Sharks)
4. van Heerden (Stiinta Baia Mare)
5. Poparlan (Timisara)
6. Chirica (Stiinta Baia Mare)
7. Nistor (Albi)
8.(C)Burcea (CSM Bucuresti)
9.Surugiu (Steaua Bucuresti)
10.Vlaicu (Steaua Bucuresti)
11.Dumitru (Steaua Bucuresti)
12.Fakaosilea (Stiinta Baia Mare)
13.Kinikinilau (CSM Bucuresti)
14.Tangimana (Timisoara Saracens)
15.Simionescu (Timisoara Satacens)

Subs:
16. Badiu (Timisoara Saracens)
17. Bardasu (Stiinta Baia Mare)
18. Gordas (Steaua Bucuresti)
19. Motoc (Racing 92)
20. Moyake (Steaua)
21. Bratu (Dinamo Bucuresti)
22. Umaga (Timisoara Saracens)
23. Lomani (Dinamo)

TONGA

1. Latu Talakai (Waikato)
2. Sione Lea (Taranaki)
3. Paea Fa'anunu (US Dax)
4. Leva Fifita (Waikato)
5. Steve Mafi (Castres)
6. Sione Kalamafoni (Leicester)
7. Tukulua Lokotui (Beziers)
8. Ma'ama Vaipulu (Castres)
9. Tane Takulua (Newcastle)
10. George Taina (Counties Manakau)
11. Cooper Vuna (Worchesters Warriors)
12. Siale Piutau (Bristol)
13. Nafi Tuitavake (Northampton)
14. Penikolo Latu (Waikato)
15. Atieli Pakalani (Leicester)

Subs:
16. Sione Lolohea (Pakuranga)
17. Jethro Felemi (North Harbour)
18. Leo Halavatua (Angouleme)
19. Onehunga Havilili Kaufusi (Western Force)
20. Michael Faleafa (Northland)
21. Sione Vailanu (Saracens Storm)
22. Shinisuke Tu'umoto'oa (Daito Bunko University)
23. David Halaifonua (Gloucester)

stream: www.rugbytv.ro

A typical tight, low scoring contest at the Arcul de Triumph. Tonga edge the first half to keep alive Italian hopes of staying the 7th best European nation.

Probably my two favourite Tier2 sides and probably the two closest Tier2 sides in terms of ability. I expect Tonga to show they are still slightly better than Samoa and edge this match.

Romania 20 - 25 Tonga

Relief for Italy but I feel bad for Tier 2 rugby in Europe. A Romanian victory would have been great ammunition for advocates of busting the closed shop of the 6N.

Narrow win by Tonga but considering we missed 12 players that is a decent result and good test for debuts or youngsters, I think a nobody could have said that out fullback and blindside are 20 yo and we play a different defense type one week after Samoa with no warm up. I Howells said after the match that the luxury he'd like would be one more week with full squad after these matches.

Still a defeat is a defeat so nobody is happy with it but there are plenty of positives, we basically played with two different XVs in Autumn tests that would be hard to dodge for any T2 side.

Watched the match again, Vlaicu missed 2 penalties from positions where he was a sure bet. A new fly-half may be needed soon.

Highlights:

Full match:

Tongan scrum was non-existent and he was good in lose game, especially in rucks, very disciplined.

Vlaicu does seem a little twitchy on pressure kicks, despite decent overall play. At 32 years they should be looking at successors, which is easier said than done when the REC is a World Cup qualifying tournament and World Rugby only give you two tests.

I think once Howells will bag the qualification he'll start to test players, he signaled this with the selection from June and November tests and he said this yesterday too, he even mentioned Plai who have a surgery these days. So far, except REC, few U23 yo players made their debut: Simionescu (fullback), Cojocaru (hooker), Chirica (flanker), Motoc (lock), Popa (center), Iurea (lock/backrow), Muresan (lock) all these added to players already established like Nistor, Pristavita, Bratu or Stratila. Young ones like Neculau (flanker) or Rupanu (scrum-half) were called up to train with Oaks. I am a bit confused why Boldor didn't have a chance so far and a center as Ionita seems forgotten. Also he made a trial with most promising players from SL to see as many options as possible. So after REC, I'll expect a lot of movement in the team even at the risk of losing some games.

LE: It seems we are blessed with locks considering Antonescu is 24 and a starter.

Latest posts