[November Tests 2017 EOYT] Scotland vs. Australia (25/11/2017)

Discussion in 'International Test Matches' started by TRF_heineken, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Derpus

Derpus Bench Player

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Waratahs

The answer, in Australia at least, is that Rugby suffers from a class divide. Much of our talented sportsmen and women miss Union altogether as it is seen as a private school boys club and that position is enforced by its inaccessibility to the poorer folk of the community. It marginalizes the game and reduces our participant pool and viewership.

Having said that, it's far too late to jump on the free to air wagon now. Regular broadcasting is on it's way out.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. smartcooky

smartcooky Referee Coach and Advisor

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Tasman

Yep, I have to agree 100% with this.

Between them, Aussie Rules and Rugby League absolutely have the "blue collar oval ball" market cornered.

4. RoosTah

RoosTah First XV

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Sydney

I think you’ve rather neatly captured the attitude that has seen Rugby in Australia fall into its current state of gross disrepair. I’d also add that anyone who thinks Union isn’t concerned about quarterly earnings - even if you were just talking about Australia - has never read a financial report from any of the major unions. I can only assume you’re a bit of an outsider and idealist based on those comments, but I assure you that obsessing over quarterly earnings is precisely how the ARU sold the clusterfuck of a competition that was the expanded 18 side Super Rugby tournament to the then 5 Super Rugby franchises in Australia. They all mostly thought it looked like a bad idea, but Pulver pulled out the spreadsheet with all the TV money they were supposed to get and they all shut up. So much for not being worried about earnings over integrity lol.

Also, it’s cute to talk about the future of streaming and the death of TV, but the fact is that our internet infrastructure is still far from up to the task of streaming HD sport live to mass audiences. It handles mobile devices well enough, but it is still a fair way off doing a HD premium service that can support major events. Optus proved that with their EPL rights fiasco when it became obvious the quality they could offer customers was far from the expectations set by old cable providers with their full HD transmission.

A change in the landscape is on the horizon, but it’s not really come to live sport anywhere in the world yet

5. RoosTah

RoosTah First XV

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Sydney

Really? So you’re familiar with financial modeling and you still think what Pulver “and his cohorts” did made “good business sense”?? You’re not a Bond “University” alumni by any chance are you?

Seriously though, the decision was so manifestly NOT good business sense that it is still threatening to basically destroy the game in Australia due to the bankrupting the WA Rugby and the war that has started with Andrew Forrest.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Derpus

Derpus Bench Player

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Waratahs

The best example of their ineptitude is a small one. They refused rugbyWA's settlement offer for the order for costs in the proceedings they won. They offered something like 650/850k and Pulver in his infinite genius refused it, saying he would get the full 850k. rugbyWA immediately proceeded to go into administration whilst it's backers pulled out. Pulver literally just sharted away 650k by 'hardballing' and losing. They are beyond inept.

• Like Like x 2
  7. RoosTah

RoosTah First XV

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Sydney

Wow... the mental gymnastics you’re attempting to employ here to paint Pulver as some sort of genius is truly spectacular. It’s got to be the most impressive example of bullshit spinning I’ve seen this side of a Trump press conference. But please, go ahead and humour me by explaining how imploding Australian rugby made good personal business sense for the CEO of Rugby Australia.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MikeTheNative

MikeTheNative First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

That's a bit rich coming from Ireland, you will not see Wales doing the same thing.............. :p
    In all seriousness Scotland have recruited well with a number of Scottish Qualified players who were not wanted by their birthplaces but have gone well for Scotland.

9. mania

mania First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Samoa

this is one of our secrets to rugby success. everyone plays it. all of NZ are brought together in rugby. we embrace all.
    when i played club in aus it was all ex private school boys . which is fine cos they were awesome people but i wondered where all the normal working class people were.

10. RoosTah

RoosTah First XV

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Sydney

lol you're really not sure? I'll give you a hint champ - it was this part:
    As I wrote above though, I'm happy for you to elaborate a little more on that so you can better explain the personal brilliance of his work destroying the code in Australia.

11. Derpus

Derpus Bench Player

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Waratahs

Playing League and gayFL eh.

12. Derpus

Derpus Bench Player

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Waratahs

I think at this point he's just trolling you man.

13. RoosTah

RoosTah First XV

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Sydney

lol With your block posts that are almost entirely bereft of punctuation I can assure you that “good English” isn’t your forte.

14. Spuds100

Spuds100 Academy Player

Again, the Wallabies were simply sublime here. A masterclass in fact.

15. RoosTah

RoosTah First XV

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Sydney

Blog post? lol oh dear...

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!