• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] Scotland vs. Australia (25/11/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Scotland.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Australia.png

Venue: Murrayfield, Edinburgh
Time: 16:30 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Following disappointing results (and for Aus performance too) at the weekend, both teams will be laser focused on finishing the year on a high. Weather is looking cold (c4 degrees at kickoff), but dry. Will be interesting to see how the Aussies react to it and to what will no doubt be a boisterous Murrayfield crowd. I can't believe I'm saying this given recent history, but the front row of the Aussies really worries me. From what I saw of the England game they at least competed for periods of the game, and with the injuries Scotland have up front it's definitely an area for exploitation.

As a Scot though I'm reasonably confident. We know we can beat Australia, so there's none of the mental blockers to overcome as there is with NZ. With the backline performing well the last couple of games and the back rows reasonably balanced in terms of physicality, if we can compete at the breakdown and get the ball to 10, we've every chance of creating try scoring opportunities.

We would never giving up the Unicorn as our national animal. Should be the game of the weekend by a mile, on paper at least. If Dunbar is still injured he'd be a big loss. A huge systement by Scotland if they can win this; a sign that they might progress to being a consistent Top5 side under Townsend.

But I expect an Aussie victory; depending on selections.

Come on Oz!! Put them firmly back in their box s'il vous plait!! That last bit is Scotland's new national language while their new patron "saint" is the fella below!

Tasty tasty tears =D

Seriously though, from a personal perspective I'm gutted Ireland didn't get it, would've been an absolute riot for the whole tournament!

Bruce - I may be being bold but I think that our backline is going to get at least 3 tries against the Wallabies this weekend. If we defend as we did against the ABs, we should have enough to outscore them.

Are you worried the players won't be able to "get up" for the game following the exertions last week?

It's simple, Scotland have the skill and players to win this and tbh if both tems play their best I think Scots might actually edge it anyway. They have to believe and go and do it now. As people have said they need to prove they can keep this up regularly and not slip back to nearly winning. (I don't think they will slip back.)

It's simple, Scotland have the skill and players to win this and tbh if both tems play their best I think Scots might actually edge it anyway. They have to believe and go and do it now. As people have said they need to prove they can keep this up regularly and not slip back to nearly winning. (I don't think they will slip back.)
If Australia play to their potential they are still much better than Scotland.

They won't though. We've sent yet another two home and we seem cooked mentally anyway. We just gave up in the last 10 minutes against England. I for one would rather see some of the younger talent we brought on tour have a run, even if it means we lose. Be good to see what the Tongan Thor, Banks etc. can bring.

Also, some players are in a desperate need of a rest. Kepu, Taaf, Hooper have all played a ridiculous amount of rugby. I think Hooper has played every minute of every game all year for both club and country save the Barbarians match.

If it rains, Scotland to win by more than 10. If its a dry track it'll be 50/50 and it'll turn on whether the key men decide to show up or not.

If Australia play to their potential they are still much better than Scotland.

They won't though. We've sent yet another two home and we seem cooked mentally anyway. We just gave up in the last 10 minutes against England. I for one would rather see some of the younger talent we brought on tour have a run, even if it means we lose. Be good to see what the Tongan Thor, Banks etc. can bring.

Also, some players are in a desperate need of a rest. Kepu, Taaf, Hooper have all played a ridiculous amount of rugby. I think Hooper has played every minute of every game all year for both club and country save the Barbarians match.

If it rains, Scotland to win by more than 10. If its a dry track it'll be 50/50 and it'll turn on whether the key men decide to show up or not.

Based on last weekend I'd say Scotland have the edge in the backs, where as Australia would have the edge in the forwards. That is probably still Scotland's biggest weakness, their forwards are still inconsistent and they don't have quite the same depth as they do in the backs.

Based on last weekend I'd say Scotland have the edge in the backs, where as Australia would have the edge in the forwards. That is probably still Scotland's biggest weakness, their forwards are still inconsistent and they don't have quite the same depth as they do in the backs.
Which is odd, as there is a general perception in Australia that our backs are far better than our forwards (with the exclusion of 10).

Which is odd, as there is a general perception in Australia that our backs are far better than our forwards (with the exclusion of 10).
I'm not saying that, more that Scotland's backs looked more creative than Australia's last weekend. However I think Australia's forwards, especially the back row, has the edge over Scotland. I may be wrong though.

Scotland team:

Hogg (Glasgow Warriors), Seymour (Glasgow Warriors), H Jones (Glasgow Warriors), Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors), Maitland (Saracens), Russell (Glasgow Warriors), Price (Glasgow Warriors), Marfo (Edinburgh), McInally (Edinburgh), Berghan (Edinburgh), Gilchrist (Edinburgh), J Gray (Glasgow Warriors), Barclay (Scarlets, capt), Wilson (Glasgow Warriors), Watson (Edinburgh).

Replacements: Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors), Z Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors), Toolis (Edinburgh), Du Preez (Edinburgh), Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors), Horne (Glasgow Warriors), McGuigan (Sale Sharks)

Harsh on Jones, would have experience expected Maitland on the bench. He tends to be solid though, and good at filling in for Hogg. Toolis and Fagerson rumoured to be rested rather than dropped - I'd take that with a pinch of salt as this game determines whether it's been a good or disappointment autumn!

We would never giving up the Unicorn as our national animal. Should be the game of the weekend by a mile, on paper at least. If Dunbar is still injured he'd be a big loss. A huge systement by Scotland if they can win this; a sign that they might progress to being a consistent Top5 side under Townsend.

But I expect an Aussie victory; depending on selections.

Unicorn as a national animal? Don't you think having a mythical creature is a bit ridiculous?

As for the game I generally have no idea. If the Scots play like they did against NZ they can win, play like they did against Somoa and they will probably lose. What ever the result I'm sure there is going to be some good running rugby from both teams.

Last edited:
A strong Scottish selection, comparable to last week. Aussies at top strength it looks like, excepting Folau.

Australia: 15 Kurtley Beale, 14 Marika Koroibete, 13 Tevita Kuridrani, 12 Samu Kerevi, 11 Reece Hodge, 10 Bernard Foley, 9 Will Genia, 8 Sean McMahon, 7 Michael Hooper (c), 6 Ben McCalman, 5 Blake Enever, 4 Rob Simmons, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Stephen Moore, 1 Scott Sio

Replacements: 16 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 17 Tetera Faulkner, 18 Taniela Tupou, 19 Lukhan Tui, 20 Lopeti Timani, 21 Nick Phipps, 22 Karmichael Hunt, 23 Henry Speight

A strong Scottish selection, comparable to last week. Aussies at top strength it looks like, excepting Folau.

Australia: 15 Kurtley Beale, 14 Marika Koroibete, 13 Tevita Kuridrani, 12 Samu Kerevi, 11 Reece Hodge, 10 Bernard Foley, 9 Will Genia, 8 Sean McMahon, 7 Michael Hooper (c), 6 Ben McCalman, 5 Blake Enever, 4 Rob Simmons, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Stephen Moore, 1 Scott Sio

Replacements: 16 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 17 Tetera Faulkner, 18 Taniela Tupou, 19 Lukhan Tui, 20 Lopeti Timani, 21 Nick Phipps, 22 Karmichael Hunt, 23 Henry Speight
Stephen Moore is only starting because it's his last test, is no longer good enough and we have better hookers waiting for him to vacate the space. Otherwise, full strength. Big question-marks over Taniela Tupou though.

Dunbar out! Beat 'emso hard they can't play rugby for two years Oz. We'll do the same to Wales next Feb for ya in return! xx

Friendship ended with Scotland, now England is my best friend.

Dunbar out is a big blow defensively, but his replacement Horne is a teammate of Finn, so it's not a huge drop-off.

Latest posts