• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] Wales vs. Australia (11/11/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Wales.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Australia.png

Venue: Principality Stadium
Time: 19:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

With Australia gaining some form and momentum and also Wales' first series trying this new expansive game, or so the coaches say, I think Aus will win this reasonably comfortably. For a Wales perspective this series is about showing what they can do with an expansive game and giving some of the younger players gain time against the good international sides. Here is the side I would pick: Liam Williams, Hallam Amos, J Davies, O Williams, Steff Evans, Priestland, Webb, Rob Evans (if fit), Owens, Lee, Wyn Jones, Ball, Shingler, Tipruic, Faleteau. Subs: Dee, Smith, Brown, Seb Davies, Navidi, Gareth Davies, Watkins, Halfpenny

Webb and Tipruic are doubts, that's not good news.

Great. So why exactly did they overlook Youngs?

Could be a great opportunity for Navidi though. I can't see Cross being an option, but could feature on the bench! I rate Youngs above both though...

Great. So why exactly did they overlook Youngs?

Could be a great opportunity for Navidi though. I can't see Cross being an option, but could feature on the bench! I rate Youngs above both though...

I really see Navidi as more of an 8 or 6 option these days. He'll bring more carrying and power to the back row, but maybe not so much of a jackel anymore? He's got a chance now though. Wasn't expecting it starting from 7 in the first game! Agree that I'd prefer Young's there for what will be a fast game.

I know he started out there but Navidi hasn't played much 7 over the last few years has he? He played well in the Saracens game but i still can't believe they picked Cross, surely it's too early for him? Hopefully they don't pick Lydiate at 7 now, I suppose there's a chance of Lydiate at 6 and Shingler at 7 but I don't think I've seen him play there.

I know he started out there but Navidi hasn't played much 7 over the last few years has he? He played well in the Saracens game but i still can't believe they picked Cross, surely it's too early for him? Hopefully they don't pick Lydiate at 7 now, I suppose there's a chance of Lydiate at 6 and Shingler at 7 but I don't think I've seen him play there.

Cardiff rotate a lot in the back row, but you are right he did start there. He's a heavy carrier/excellent tackler nowadays, rather than a fast jackal. With Warburton and Ellis Jenkins being there he generally plays 8 or 6.

I see the Welsh are training with their bestest buddies these days....

Setting out their stall for collapsing the WRU and just joining the English and play under the English banner?

I see the Welsh are training with their bestest buddies these days....

Setting out their stall for collapsing the WRU and just joining the English and play under the English banner?

Jealous that you lot weren't invited? :p
From the video circulating the Welsh scrum isn't looking too good.

I think Wales, sadly, are going to get a bit of a pantsing here

With Australia gaining some form and momentum and also Wales' first series trying this new expansive game, or so the coaches say, I think Aus will win this reasonably comfortably. For a Wales perspective this series is about showing what they can do with an expansive game and giving some of the younger players gain time against the good international sides. Here is the side I would pick: Liam Williams, Hallam Amos, J Davies, O Williams, Steff Evans, Priestland, Webb, Rob Evans (if fit), Owens, Lee, Wyn Jones, Ball, Shingler, Tipruic, Faleteau. Subs: Dee, Smith, Brown, Seb Davies, Navidi, Gareth Davies, Watkins, Halfpenny
Agree with all except Navidi who doesn't merit being anywhere near a test cap, Sam Cross should get the bench spot on current form

I don't think Navidi will be pulling up any trees at international level but he's a decent player, also has the extra benefit of being able to play anywhere in the back row. As for Sam Cross he played very well against Saracens but then had a pretty average one for the Dragons, do you have any form from two games?

I think Wales, sadly, are going to get a bit of a pantsing here

Aus have hit form perfectly for this tour coming off the back of an excellent win against NZ. Conversely, Wales always start badly and always seems to start with Aus in Nov. It takes a while for Wales to get up to that level of intensity, game speed etc. With all the experimental work going on in the team, I think you are probably right. I also think this is about building for the 6N and building a team over the next 24 months for the WC.

Wales Online is saying this team for the time being, they are usually pretty accurate as well when it comes to news from inside the Wales camp.

L Halfpenny; L Williams, J Davies, O Williams, S Evans; D Biggar, G Davies; R Evans, K Owens, T Francis; J Ball, AW Jones (c); A Shingler, J Navidi, T Faletau.

Reps: H Amos, O Watkin, A Davies, L Brown, K Dacey, N Smith, S Cross, C Hil

If it is this I would be disappointed at Halfpenny at FB as well Francis starting, (where is Lee?) Otherwise it's what I expected to be honest. Good to see Leon Brown and Watkins get a chance from the bench but would have like to seen Seb Davies and maybe Dee get a chance, however I understand you couldn't fill your bench with debuts. What a journey for Sam Cross to get here, I'm not sold on him yet but he does offer more than Lydiate. Hopefully Amos get some game time and a decent run this AI, I'm a big fan of him but he's had a hard time through injury.

The brave new era of expansive Welsh attacking play, brought to you by Halfpenny, Biggar and Howley. Heavens preserve you!

Halfpenny has done alright in a Scarlets team which plays a more expansive game than i expect this Wales team to do. However I agree about Biggar though, his distribution isn't quick or crisp enough to give 12 a chance.

Latest posts