• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] Wales vs. Georgia (18/11/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Wales.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Georgia.png

Venue: Principality Stadium
Time: 16:30 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

I don't expect whole sales changes for this game just a few of the younger players to get a start. Also with Jon Davies injury it's a big time for Owen Watkins to step up, he's got big boots to fill. I would also keep Owen Williams at centre just to give him some more game time at 12 internationally.
I would pick:
Liam Williams, Amos, Watkins, Owen Williams, Steff Evans, Patchell, Aled Davies, Rob Evans, Owens, Brown, Seb Davies, Alun Wyn Jones, Shingler, Cross, Faleteau

Dee, Smith, Francis, Ball, Navadi, Gareth Daves, Scott Williams, Halfpenny.

From Lions player of the series to long term spectator. That's the sporting life, but it has to be tough to deal with.

I think there's 4 sensible contenders to fill the hole left by JD2. Owen Watkin, Scott Williams, Tyler Morgan & Cory Allen. Tyler Morgan has been seriously unlucky with injuries, and is once again out injured, whilst Cory Allen is being messed around by the ospreys, just as he was at the Blues by being played out of position on the wing. So it leaves us with 2 options really. IMO Scott Williams suits outside centre more than he does 12 as there's less pressure on his passing, and he certainly has the pace! I can see both Williams and Watkin being involved v Georgia and a decision made for NZ based on that.

Come 6 nations time there's a fifth option in George North as well. Physically, he's almost perfectly suited to a role in midfield, and could cause havoc outside a distributor at 12. Unlike a few years ago when Gatland originally tried this, we've also got a little depth available out wide, so George isn't a necessity on the wing. Worth a punt in the 6 nations I think.

North certainly has the threat going forward, it would also give him the ball in hand a lot more. Defensively I would worry with him at 13 though, he's not know for his defensive positioning on the wing and he's going to be more exposed at 13. But it's worth a look though, sadly he's injured this AI as the Georgia game would be a good one to have a look at him there.

Not yet really, Gatland has talked about using his squad and WalesOnline (who were 100% spot on last Tuesday) have predicted a lot of changes, I'm expecting at least 8 if the articles are anything to go by.

Wales team is going to be announced at 11.00, Wales Online predicting Presitland 10, o Williams 12 .................. and Seb Davies 8???

Last edited:
And here is the Wales team:

Wales: Liam Williams; Alex Cuthbert, Scott Williams, Owen Watkin, Hallam Amos; Rhys Priestland, Rhys Webb; Nicky Smith, Kristian Dacey, Leon Brown; Adam Beard, Cory Hill; Dan Lydiate, Sam Cross, Seb Davies.

Reps: Elliot Dee, Wyn Jones, Tomas Francis, Josh Navidi, Taulupe Faletau, Aled Davies, Dan Biggar, Owen Williams

I don't understand the point of picking Cuthbert and Lydiate to be honest. We all know what they can and can't do and would rather navadi have another game. Same with Prestland really surely Pacthell should have been given the chance? Scott Williams at 13 and Watkins at 12 confirms to me going that Williams will be starting the rest of the AI's would have liked to see Owen Williams get a bit more game time there. Speaking of more game time, I'm surprised Tipruic is not involved, unless injured, as he needs some minutes as well. I'm quite worried about this rather green pack to be honest, what's up with Seb Davies 8 as well? There doesn't seem many ball carries in there to be honest.

And here is the Wales team:

Wales: Liam Williams; Alex Cuthbert, Scott Williams, Owen Watkin, Hallam Amos; Rhys Priestland, Rhys Webb; Nicky Smith, Kristian Dacey, Leon Brown; Adam Beard, Cory Hill; Dan Lydiate, Sam Cross, Seb Davies.

Reps: Elliot Dee, Wyn Jones, Tomas Francis, Josh Navidi, Taulupe Faletau, Aled Davies, Dan Biggar, Owen Williams

I don't understand the point of picking Cuthbert and Lydiate to be honest. We all know what they can and can't do and would rather navadi have another game. Same with Prestland really surely Pacthell should have been given the chance? Scott Williams at 13 and Watkins at 12 confirms to me going that Williams will be starting the rest of the AI's would have liked to see Owen Williams get a bit more game time there. Speaking of more game time, I'm surprised Tipruic is not involved, unless injured, as he needs some minutes as well. I'm quite worried about this rather green pack to be honest, what's up with Seb Davies 8 as well? There doesn't seem many ball carries in there to be honest.
Completely agree with you on Cuthbert, Lydiate, and Priestland. I'm happy enough with Scott W back as he is class when at his best but I'm still ****** off Sam Davies isn't even in the squad, this would have been ideal as a confidence booster for him. Tips must still be injured. I also share your concerns about the pack, what has Charteris done wrong to not get in the autumn squad ? this would have have been ideal for him and although i'm not a Navidi fan I would rather him at 8 instead of a 2nd row who is a novice in his own position. Also bringing back Jamie R was a retrograde move if he was going to be picked this was the only game I'd have played him in.
Nevertheless its going to be interesting seeing what Georgia have to offer, I'm all for giving tier 2 sides a crack

Wow 14 changes, I expected a maximum of about 8 or 9. Not exactly a side that fills me with confidence really!
I predict a close game here and for Georgia to give Wales a scare: 32 - 24 to Wales. Anyone else a little worried?

Georgia have a point to prove also, think about how many games they get against tier 1 sides especially six nations sides. Big performance by them could boost their chances of joining the six nations in some shape or form. They'll be well up for this one especially after last week's win against Canada.

Last edited:
Wow 14 changes, I expected a maximum of about 8 or 9. Not exactly a side that fills me with confidence really!
I predict a close game here and for Georgia to give Wales a scare: 32 - 24 to Wales. Anyone else a little worried?
I'm worried about our pack

This is a garbage selection from Gats! Only players I agree with are Seb Davies (should have been at lock though, alongside AWJ), Webb, Priestland (fully deserves another shot), one of Watkin/Scott Williams (alongside Owen Williams at 12), Amos & Liam Williams.

The pack will likely get mullered in the scrums, struggle in the lineouts due to new pairings & probably come up short physically. The backs will live off scraps and make mistakes because of it. The players will learn nothing, the coaches will learn nothing (other than it's a bad idea to throw so many inexperienced and new combinations together at once, which they should have already learn't the last umpteen times they've done it), and we'll learn nothing. Surely there needed to be a balance of building momentum towards the NZ game, whilst blooding a few more to international level. Is Gats really going to put Owen Williams and Steff Evans back in to start v NZ?

I agree, they are are trying to play this expansive game with new players as it is so why don't give them more time? Wouldn't surprise me if Georgia turn Wales over.

This is a garbage selection from Gats! Only players I agree with are Seb Davies (should have been at lock though, alongside AWJ), Webb, Priestland (fully deserves another shot), one of Watkin/Scott Williams (alongside Owen Williams at 12), Amos & Liam Williams.

The pack will likely get mullered in the scrums, struggle in the lineouts due to new pairings & probably come up short physically. The backs will live off scraps and make mistakes because of it. The players will learn nothing, the coaches will learn nothing (other than it's a bad idea to throw so many inexperienced and new combinations together at once, which they should have already learn't the last umpteen times they've done it), and we'll learn nothing. Surely there needed to be a balance of building momentum towards the NZ game, whilst blooding a few more to international level. Is Gats really going to put Owen Williams and Steff Evans back in to start v NZ?
He bloody well better put Steff Evans in against the AB's, the stand out winger in the NH this season. Tips should be back as well

Latest posts