NRL clubs keen to snatch the new promising young player of Reds

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
Campbell Magnay set to star for Queensland Country in NRC but NRL clubs keen to snatch him from Queensland Reds

140829042850795971.jpg

He is a 196cm, flame-haired, 17-year-old already playing against Wallabies, so naturally NRL clubs are lining up to snatch Campbell Magnay from the Queensland Reds. Magnay is poised to become a star of the NRC when he is unleashed off Queensland Country’s bench at Bond University today.

Named after his relation and former Norths Devils wild man Campbell “Zulu†Dews, Magnay is a hard-running outside centre who will partner Wallaby Anthony Faingaa when he makes his NRC debut against NSW Country this afternoon. Queensland Reds officials rate the 100 kilogram back highly and they are trying to fend off interest from the Brisbane Broncos and a western Sydney NRL club to re-sign him.

The NRC is a great development tool for the ARU but it allows NRL scouts an easy way to poach the brightest rugby talent. The Reds are favourites to keep Magnay who fell in love with rugby union during high school at Nudgee.

Despite his imposing frame, Magnay has legitimate pace. He came third in the 100 metre sprint at the Australian primary school championships and was targeted for an athletics career before focusing on rugby.

He trialled for the Broncos in his early teens where he played for the Norths Devils alongside Brisbane’s highly rated fullback Jayden Nikorima.

“Yeah, there are a couple of clubs which have offered some under-20s contracts,†Magnay said.

“I grew up with league but then played rugby at Nudgee.

“Being 17, this NRC competition is a big opportunity for me.

“It will be good to show people that I deserve to be here.

“I didn’t think I would get picked for Country but it is great to give this a crack.

“Anthony Faingaa is a real role model for me. He runs me through plays and helps me in defence. He shows me what it’s all about.â€

Magnay’s father Brett played alongside St George great Steve Morris in the Dragons reserve grade sides in the mid-1980s.

“I am an old league bloke but Campbell loves his union,†Magnay Sr said.

“He enjoys both codes but right now he’s loving union.

“He trialled for the Broncos in his early teens and went to a development camp so league will always be an option for him.

“The Reds have been great to him though and I know he really enjoys being there.â€

The Reds have not offered Magnay a contract yet but have told his family they view him as a long-term player at the franchise.

Queensland Country coach Steve Meehan said despite Magnay only being 17, he had great football instincts.

“He’s a very tall, hard-hitting outside back,†Meehan said.

“Very skilful, has a good sense of timing and can pick which gap to run into.

“He’s certainly a player that has potential.

“It’s up to him to reach that potential but we can provide him with opportunity to improve and grow.â€

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...-queensland-reds/story-e6frf4v3-1227041763574

Latest posts