• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Number 4 tips

mcp2

Academy Player
I've just started playing rugby and I've been assigned the number 4/lock position. I'd like some tips so I can perform as best as I can. Primarily, I want to know where on the field I should be during open play and what I should be doing. I've watched some rugby but find it difficult to follow the players.

Hit every ruck you can. Line up Inside ten on offensive play and run strike lines from there outside him.

Yep - as a tight forward you'll be clearing out rucks. Hit as many as you can. When your team gets the ball - either clear out rucks or set yourself near a ruck for some runs/backup another forward runner.

Stand around. Do nothing. Be ineffectual. That's second row nailed.

To become a good solid 2nd row you need to have the set peice down as your basics and then work on your open play work.

So get your Scrum, lineout, kickoffs top notch and then look and expanding your game.

In defensive open play you want to stay near the ruck, looking to drive the opposition back in the tackle.
On offensive play you either want to be support the player with the ball or taking the ball off the 10 (0r 9 if your team plays like that).

The thing to remember is as a lock don't look to hit everything, you need to make sure that when you do somthing you give it 100% of your energy so don't act like a flanker hitting every ruck. I try and hit every other ruck, or if you have just carried the ball, next phase be a supporting player.

Hope that helps.

Awesome replies, training tonight so I'll put this into practice. Loving the forum so far!