• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NZ 2016 Super Rugby Squads Announced

ABs2011

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
CHIEFS: Michael Allardice, Johan Bardoul, Dominic Bird, Sam Cane, Aaron Cruden, Stephen Donald, Hika Elliot, Glen Fisiiahi, Siegfried Fisiihoi, Mitchell Graham, Nathan Harris, Andrew Horrell, Mitchell Karpik, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Tevita Koloamatangi, Nepo Laulala, Michael Leitch, Anton Lienert-Brown, James Lowe, Pauliasi Manu, Rhys Marshall, Damian McKenzie, Sam McNicol, Atu Moli, Charlie Ngatai, Augustine Pulu, Toni Pulu, Brodie Retallick, Tom Sanders, Teleni Seu, Shaun Stevenson, Seta Tamanivalu, Chase Tiatia, Siate Tokolahi, James Tucker, Latu Vaeno, Sam Vaka, Maama Vaipulu, Brad Weber and Sonny Bill Williams.

HIGHLANDERS:
(Forwards) Alex Ainley, Shane Christie, Liam Coltman, Ash Dixon, Elliot Dixon, Brendon Edmonds, Gareth Evans, Tom Franklin, Ross Geldenhuys, Siosiua Halanukonuka, Jackson Hemopo, Josh Hohneck, Daniel Lienert-Brown, James Lentjes, Craig Millar, Greg Pleasants-Tate, Dan Pryor, Mark Reddish, Liam Squire, Luke Whitelock and Joe Wheeler.
(Backs) Marty Banks, Richard Buckman, Jason Emery, Matt Faddes, Malakai Fekitoa, Waisake Naholo, Patrick Osborne, Hayden Parker, Josh Renton, Ben Smith, Aaron Smith, Lima Sopoaga, Fumiaki Tanaka, Rob Thompson, Patelesio Tomkinson, Ryan Tongia and Teihorangi Walden.

HURRICANES:
Mark Abbott (Hawke's Bay), Pita Ahki (North Harbour)*, Leni Apisai (Wellington), Vince Aso (Auckland), Beauden Barrett (Taranaki), Otere Black (Manawatu), James Broadhurst (Taranaki), Dane Coles (Wellington), Geoffrey Cridge (Hawke's Bay), Chris Eves (Manawatu), Michael Fatialofa (Auckland)*, Vaea Fifita (Wellington), Callum Gibbins (Manawatu), Jamison Gibson-Park (Taranaki)*, Reggie Goodes (Wellington), Willis Halaholo (Southland), Iopu Iopu-Aso (Taranaki), Cory Jane (Wellington), Tony Lamborn (Hawke's Bay)*, Ngani Laumape (Manawatu)*, Christian Lloyd (Wellington), James Marshall (Taranaki), Motu Matu'u (Wellington), Ben May (Wellington), Nehe Milner-Skudder (Manawatu), TJ Perenara (Wellington), Matt Proctor (Wellington), Hugh Renton (Hawke's Bay), Hisa Sasagi (Otago)*, Ardie Savea (Wellington), Julian Savea (Wellington), Brad Shields (Wellington), Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi (Taranaki)*, Blade Thomson (Taranaki), Jeffery To'omaga-Allen (Wellington), Loni Uhila (Waikato)*, TJ Va'a (Wellington)*, Victor Vito (Wellington), Jason Woodward (Wellington).

BLUES:
Forwards
James Parsons (North Harbour), Matt Moulds (Northland), Quentin MacDonald (Tasman), Nic Mayhew (North Harbour), Sam Prattley (Auckland), Charlie Faumuina (Auckland), Ofa Tu’ungafasi (Auckland), Sione Mafileo (North Harbour), Namatahi Waa (Northland), Patrick Tuipulotu (Auckland), Gerrard Tuioti-Mariner (North Harbour), Hoani Matenga (Wellington), Josh Bekhuis (Southland), Scott Scrafton (Auckland), Jerome Kaino (Auckland), Blake Gibson (Auckland), Kara Pryor (Northland), Jack Ram (Northland), Steven Luatua (Auckland), Akira Ioane (Auckland), Joe Edwards (Auckland).
Backs
Bryn Hall (North Harbour), Sam Nock (Northland), Billy Guyton (Tasman), Ihaia West (Hawkes Bay) Matt McGahan (North Harbour), Dan Bowden (Northland), Piers Francis (Counties Manukau), George Moala (Auckland), Rene Ranger (North Harbour), Rieko Ioane (Auckland), TJ Faiane (Auckland), Michael Little (North Harbour), Tevita Li (North Harbour), Ben Lam (Auckland), Melani Nanai (Auckland), Lolagi Visinia (Auckland), Matt Duffie (North Harbour), Jordan Trainor (Waikato).

CRUSADERS:
Wyatt Crockett, Joe Moody, Alex Hodgman, Michael Alaalatoa, Owen Franks, Ben Funnell, Codie Taylor, Ged Robinson, Luke Romano, Sam Whitelock, Jimmy Tupou, Scott Barrett, Pete Samu, Jordan Taufua, Tim Boys, Matt Todd, Kieran Read, Andy Ellis, Mitchell Drummond, Ben Volavola, Richie Mo’unga, Marty Mckenzie, David Havili, Kieron Fonotia, Ryan Crotty, Robbie Fruean, Nemani Nadolo, Jone Macilai, Sione Fifita, Johnny McNicholl, Sean Wainui, Mitchell Hunt, Tim Perry (Medical Exemption), Jed Brown (Medical Exemption), Jack Goodhue (Medical Exemption), Israel Dagg (Medical Exemption), Leon Fukofuka (WTG), Mitchell Dunshea (WTG)

Squads are all looking a bit weaker for next year, which is no surprise given it's the first year in a new World Cup cycle.

Chiefs arguably look the strongest, there are no obvious question marks anywhere in the squad. The Blues look the weakest, but it's good to see local players making the cut ahead of journeymen from other provinces (though how Billy Guyton gets a contract is beyond me). Their top team will be solid, but there's not a lot of depth. The Hurricanes and Crusaders will have big questions in the midfield and at 10 respectively. The Highlanders have made some good signings, but I get the feeling that this year was their peak.

Just looking at each squad very quickly, the Chiefs have recruited well with Dom Bird and Nepo Laulal which should really add to their forward strength - Dom Brid has been one of the standout forwards this year IMO. I really rate the young crop of Karpik, Moli, Sam McNicol and Shaun Stevenson so think those are really good signings too. SBW named but unlikely to play, Augusteen Pulu is a Tier 2 7s player so may well be in and out this year. Will be interesting to see how Fisiiahi goes, and obvoiusly the signing of Beaver is a talking point. Tiatia and Tamanivalu add some explosiveness in the backs and it will be interesting to see how the HB duties get shared between TKB and Weber. Looks like a good squad again. I suspect they will comfortably make the play-offs again this year.

The Canes have added a few new faces as well. I'm stoked they have picked up Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi as I'm sure this kid will be pushing for an AB spot one day. As you say @TRF Mr Fish their midfield looks weak, but Laumape will be interesting and could be a real asset if he can make the transition back to Union well. I know a couple lads who played with him at PN Boys High and have quite high expectations as a result.I'd be suprised if he can lock down a starting spot in his first year back but you never know. Willis Halohalo has looked good at times for Southland so along with Ahki maybe there is enough there to fill the gap. The Tongan Bear is an interesting signing too - they guy is a man mountain, and could be a massive impact player off the bench. Whats the deal with James Marshall? I thought a bloke from Ireland was on the forum saying they had signed him up? Good news for the Canes if he is still around. If the Canes can plug the midfield gap the bulk of the side that went close last year is there and the forward pack should only be improved so I would expect they make playoffs again and are a real contender.

Not sure what to say about the Blues. It looks to me to be the same old story. Good starting XV but no depth. There some very weak names in that squad once you look outside the match day 23. If they are to have any shot at the playoffs Ihaia West will have to make a massive step up and their forwards will have to stay fit. Why on earth they didnt sign Karpik I do not know cause amongst other things they look very weak at openside. Kaino, Ioane, and Luatua are all good loosies but unfortunately they cant all fit into the starting side, unless of course they give Ioane a crack at 7?? Glad they have picked up Hoani Matega, he had a very good season with Wellington and is very good in the line out. Will be interesting to see how Ranger goes coming back, will they play him at 13? if so that could be a very potent midfield pairing with the soon to be AB starting 12, Moala! I'm glad Michael Little is in the mix too and Matt Duffie returning from the NRL will be interesting to watch. Their front row stocks and quality at halfback are IMO an area that they will really struggle with this year. Its a bit of a shame that at HB the Chiefs have 3 ABs while the Blues have barely even got one super rugby quality player. Perhaps the NZRU needs to think about distributing the wealth a little?? Blues to miss the play-offs again! I just hope they improve enough to keep Tana in the mix for a few years.

I had the privilege of living in Dunedin for the last Super RUgby season and was constantly suprised and impressed by the Highlanders. I am sad to admit that while I put a bet on them to win the tournament roughly mid way through the season at very large odds I cashed out that bet before they went to NSW in the finals so my large profit was actually only a small one in the end :( Jamie Joeseph is an absolute legend, so while the Highlanders have lost a couple influential guys I no longer feel confident doubting him or his team. Liam Squire and Luke Whitelock will have big jobs to do to fill in for the departed captain, but they are both good players so I think they will manage. I think the issue the Highlanders will have is that age old second year (defending champions) problem. No-one will take them lightly next season, in fact everyone will be targeting them. I fear that it may actually be tough for them to make the play-offs again due to the challenge of the very tough NZ conference. That being said they have their core group returning including some stunning All Blacks and a group that truly believes in each other. Led around the park by Sopoaga they will be a very good team. Sadly my prediction is they miss the playoffs in 2016 though!

Lastly the Crusaders after the dissapointment of last year I reckon they will rebound. That being said it is arguably the weakest squad on paper they have had for some time. As Fish said, 10 is the biggest concern. Presumably McKenzie is first in line but either way him or Mouaga will have to really step up and lead the team around the park, if not they miss the playoffs again! I think McKenzie will do the job though and I think the loss of so much experience will unite this team and they will all step up. They shouldnt have the same level of disruptions (due to rested ABs) as they have in the past, and they have some exciting talent in the backs in McNichol who had a fantastic ITM cup, Macilia, and of course Nadolo, a good midfield pairing, and some quality forwards. I think the team really unites this year and steps up after a very dissapointing 2015 season. The disruptions caused over the years by having to prioritise the All Blacks over their own team will not be an issue this year so I;m picking a return to the finals!

Last edited:
Pleased to see Tana going with local youth, hopefully the fan base appreciates this year may be tough going, but this is how you build a contender going forward. I'd much rather cheer for raw young talent making mistakes, than over the hill journeymen.

- - - Updated - - -

Also to my eye Chiefs and Highlanders look strongest, Hurricanes not far behind. This year, with such a huge number of senior departures, was always going to be interesting for the NZ teams

Just looking at each squad very quickly, the Chiefs have recruited well with Dom Bird and Nepo Laulal which should really add to their forward strength - Dom Brid has been one of the standout forwards this year IMO. I really rate the young crop of Karpik, Moli, Sam McNicol and Shaun Stevenson so think those are really good signings too. SBW named but unlikely to play, Augusteen Pulu is a Tier 2 7s player so may well be in and out this year. Will be interesting to see how Fisiiahi goes, and obvoiusly the signing of Beaver is a talking point. Tiatia and Tamanivalu add some explosiveness in the backs and it will be interesting to see how the HB duties get shared between TKB and Weber. Looks like a good squad again. I suspect they will comfortably make the play-offs again this year.

The Canes have added a few new faces as well. I'm stoked they have picked up Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi as I'm sure this kid will be pushing for an AB spot one day. As you say @TRF Mr Fish their midfield looks weak, but Laumape will be interesting and could be a real asset if he can make the transition back to Union well. I know a couple lads who played with him at PN Boys High and have quite high expectations as a result.I'd be suprised if he can lock down a starting spot in his first year back but you never know. Willis Halohalo has looked good at times for Southland so along with Ahki maybe there is enough there to fill the gap. The Tongan Bear is an interesting signing too - they guy is a man mountain, and could be a massive impact player off the bench. Whats the deal with James Marshall? I thought a bloke from Ireland was on the forum saying they had signed him up? Good news for the Canes if he is still around. If the Canes can plug the midfield gap the bulk of the side that went close last year is there and the forward pack should only be improved so I would expect they make playoffs again and are a real contender.

Not sure what to say about the Blues. It looks to me to be the same old story. Good starting XV but no depth. There some very weak names in that squad once you look outside the match day 23. If they are to have any shot at the playoffs Ihaia West will have to make a massive step up and their forwards will have to stay fit. Why on earth they didnt sign Karpik I do not know cause amongst other things they look very weak at openside. Kaino, Ioane, and Luatua are all good loosies but unfortunately they cant all fit into the starting side, unless of course they give Ioane a crack at 7?? Glad they have picked up Hoani Matega, he had a very good season with Wellington and is very good in the line out. Will be interesting to see how Ranger goes coming back, will they play him at 13? if so that could be a very potent midfield pairing with the soon to be AB starting 12, Moala! I'm glad Michael Little is in the mix too and Matt Duffie returning from the NRL will be interesting to watch. Their front row stocks and quality at halfback are IMO an area that they will really struggle with this year. Its a bit of a shame that at HB the Chiefs have 3 ABs while the Blues have barely even got one super rugby quality player. Perhaps the NZRU needs to think about distributing the wealth a little?? Blues to miss the play-offs again! I just hope they improve enough to keep Tana in the mix for a few years.

I had the privilege of living in Dunedin for the last Super RUgby season and was constantly suprised and impressed by the Highlanders. I am sad to admit that while I put a bet on them to win the tournament roughly mid way through the season at very large odds I cashed out that bet before they went to NSW in the finals so my large profit was actually only a small one in the end :( Jamie Joeseph is an absolute legend, so while the Highlanders have lost a couple influential guys I no longer feel confident doubting him or his team. Liam Squire and Luke Whitelock will have big jobs to do to fill in for the departed captain, but they are both good players so I think they will manage. I think the issue the Highlanders will have is that age old second year (defending champions) problem. No-one will take them lightly next season, in fact everyone will be targeting them. I fear that it may actually be tough for them to make the play-offs again due to the challenge of the very tough NZ conference. That being said they have their core group returning including some stunning All Blacks and a group that truly believes in each other. Led around the park by Sopoaga they will be a very good team. Sadly my prediction is they miss the playoffs in 2016 though!

Lastly the Crusaders after the dissapointment of last year I reckon they will rebound. That being said it is arguably the weakest squad on paper they have had for some time. As Fish said, 10 is the biggest concern. Presumably McKenzie is first in line but either way him or Mouaga will have to really step up and lead the team around the park, if not they miss the playoffs again! I think McKenzie will do the job though and I think the loss of so much experience will unite this team and they will all step up. They shouldnt have the same level of disruptions (due to rested ABs) as they have in the past, and they have some exciting talent in the backs in McNichol who had a fantastic ITM cup, Macilia, and of course Nadolo, a good midfield pairing, and some quality forwards. I think the team really unites this year and steps up after a very dissapointing 2015 season. The disruptions caused over the years by having to prioritise the All Blacks over their own team will not be an issue this year so I;m picking a return to the finals!

Worth noting that Karpik has actually transferred to Bay of Plenty now, so he's severing ties with the Auckland region altogether.

I imagine Mo'unga will be the starting 10 for the Crusaders, he looks like the best long term prospect for me and he has another season at 10 under his belt now for Canterbury.

Worth noting that Karpik has actually transferred to Bay of Plenty now, so he's severing ties with the Auckland region altogether.

I imagine Mo'unga will be the starting 10 for the Crusaders, he looks like the best long term prospect for me and he has another season at 10 under his belt now for Canterbury.

Ah didnt know that - boy that Auckland/Blues franchise is rubbish. How could they let that guy go? It's not like he came out of nowhere!!

Yeah I imagine you are right about Mo'unga perhaps simply cause he is the local lad. I'm not convinced any of them are quite ready for SUper Rugby (Volavola too), so I guess one will standout in pre-season more than the others and they will get first crack. They are all remarkably talented, but I think the Crusaders will need one to have an abslute breakout season for them to have any shot at the ***le!!

Sorry but does anyone know why Simon Hickey isn't in any of the squads?

Chiefs looking good for next year, mind you a bit of rebuilding to be done in each team.

Loving the look of the Highlanders backs, looks like some damage to be unleashed there.

pretty happy with our squad, would have liked to see Dawai and Dickson form the otago team make the cut though, both have been really good

pretty happy with our squad, would have liked to see Dawai and Dickson form the otago team make the cut though, both have been really good

Yeah me to, very disappointed these two didn't make it. I guess they thought Dawai was limited. Good to see Sasagi get a Hurricanes contract as well. Renton after a bad start to the season proved to be a vital asset, heard word he's a fast learner and adaptable. I think he's much better than Eade.

also feel bad for Kurt baker, really underutilized in his time with us considering some of the people we've fit into our backline in the last few years, guys like buckman and slade have played fullback when Baker (an actual fullaback) sat in the stands, anyone know where hes gone? in hind sights thats the one area we are a bit light, fullback cover, banks looked rubbish at 15 last years

also feel bad for Kurt baker, really underutilized in his time with us considering some of the people we've fit into our backline in the last few years, guys like buckman and slade have played fullback when Baker (an actual fullaback) sat in the stands, anyone know where hes gone? in hind sights thats the one area we are a bit light, fullback cover, banks looked rubbish at 15 last years

Kurt used to be pretty good, but he never recovered and found form again after that injury he picked up in 2013, he had a look in for the Maori All Blacks vs Fiji and was pretty average and that's being nice and has been quiet all season in the ITM for Taranaki.

Banks was shakey at 15 this year, but Faddes is a good utility back and can fill 15 pretty well, as well as covering wing and centre. He looked best for us in the ITM at centre, but not sure how much game time he will get there with Emery and Walden being natural centres. Personally I would like to see him come on for Bucky as an impact sub, I think that could work well, or bring him on at 15 with Banks coming on at 10. Don't want to stir the pot too much in our winning formula though.

Yeah me to, very disappointed these two didn't make it. I guess they thought Dawai was limited. Good to see Sasagi get a Hurricanes contract as well. Renton after a bad start to the season proved to be a vital asset, heard word he's a fast learner and adaptable. I think he's much better than Eade.

I know Josh's Aunty. Trouble is she could care less about Rugby so I get zero good info :( He seems a pretty good player though and should only improve. He's got a couple good HB mentors down there too!!

Sometimes I think the likes of Dawai, and another good example is Via Fifita are perhaps a little one dimensional. Obviously fantastic ball runners with good pace for their size, nice and athletic with good ball skills. BUT, if you watch them around the park, particulalry on D, but also hitting rucks on offense, they are not the best. Perhaps Joeseph just doesnt see enough in him in terms of all round skills.

I know Josh's Aunty. Trouble is she could care less about Rugby so I get zero good info :( He seems a pretty good player though and should only improve. He's got a couple good HB mentors down there too!!

Sometimes I think the likes of Dawai, and another good example is Via Fifita are perhaps a little one dimensional. Obviously fantastic ball runners with good pace for their size, nice and athletic with good ball skills. BUT, if you watch them around the park, particulalry on D, but also hitting rucks on offense, they are not the best. Perhaps Joeseph just doesnt see enough in him in terms of all round skills.

He's another OBHS product mate, I get all the insides on the lads coming through, and we're certainly churning them out at the moment. Watch out for Sione Asi, he's tipped to break through into the Hurricanes soon, big prop from down South.

Looking through the squads on the OP I can't help but be jealous of the amount of continuity most of those sides have. Apart from the Lions all SA sides will be featuring quite a few new young faces thrown in at the deep end and having the responsibility of carrying rather forming the back up. Its not that we are losing Bok stalwarts; we've already lost them. Its the likes of Steven Kitshoff and Jaques du Plessis amongst others, those early and mid twenties that showed promise and add hugely to their franchizes but havn't made the Bokke who leave early that we are losing every year on top of the retiring test stalwarts.

I havn't any ITM action this year (I've barely managed a few Curry Cup games). Who should we look out for from those new to SR? Without knowing to much its difficult to make predictions but if I could hazard a stab at predicting the NZ conference log:

1 Chiefs - Best continuity of the NZ sides? Still have the best depth in the comp IMO.
2 Highlanders / Hurricanes - I can't split them. I think both are quality sides but I don't see either quite repeating the heroics of 2015.
4 Crusaders - Unless the new faces add something they've lacked of late.
5 Blues - Despite being a side stacked with talented individuals elsewhere they lack (just like my Stormers) world class players in key positions. The fact that they'll probably be the favorites for bottom NZ side is more a testament to the quality of the NZ teams if anything.

CHIEFS: Michael Allardice, Johan Bardoul, Dominic Bird, Sam Cane, Aaron Cruden, Stephen Donald, Hika Elliot, Glen Fisiiahi, Siegfried Fisiihoi, Mitchell Graham, Nathan Harris, Andrew Horrell, Mitchell Karpik, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Tevita Koloamatangi, Nepo Laulala, Michael Leitch, Anton Lienert-Brown, James Lowe, Pauliasi Manu, Rhys Marshall, Damian McKenzie, Sam McNicol, Atu Moli, Charlie Ngatai, Augustine Pulu, Toni Pulu, Brodie Retallick, Tom Sanders, Teleni Seu, Shaun Stevenson, Seta Tamanivalu, Chase Tiatia, Siate Tokolahi, James Tucker, Latu Vaeno, Sam Vaka, Maama Vaipulu, Brad Weber and Sonny Bill Williams.

Are u sure about SBW? I thought he would be commited to the Sevens team like Liam Messam

The Chiefs/Highlaners depth at 10 and 9 are probably the most impressive things about them for me. Im surprised the HL have managed to hold onto Banks.

People are saying the HL wont be as good this year but im not so sure. For me they are the only other NZ side with the backs and forwards to really compete with the chiefs. And the Chiefs without SBW, Tim nanai-williams and liam messam will be nowhere near as good this year imo. Nanai williams and Messam in particular are enormous losses. When they've won championships Nanai williams was outstanding and imo one of the biggest mistakes of last year was not getting him firing right or not selecting him or whatever happened... That guy was an absolute game breaker for them in the past he dealt to the HL by himself on numerous occasions.

IMO the HL backline will be all over these guys this year!

Even when they were not getting the victories a couple years back you could see the potential in the HL and the fact they were hardly ever thrashed they just lost alot of games by less than 7 points.

Who should we look out for from those new to SR?

If i ever pay credit to a Auckland player i can assure you it's well deserved. I was very impressed with this young Karpik guy playing flanker, only to find out the Chiefs picked him up this season. LOL! Keep an eye on him; in tandem with Sam Kane, isolated players are gonna pay the price in balls stolen.
Sorry to put the boot in again, but i don't understand the Blues letting him slip through their fingers....

If i ever pay credit to a Auckland player i can assure you it's well deserved. I was very impressed with this young Karpik guy playing flanker, only to find out the Chiefs picked him up this season. LOL! Keep an eye on him; in tandem with Sam Kane, isolated players are gonna pay the price in balls stolen.
Sorry to put the boot in again, but i don't understand the Blues letting him slip through their fingers....

Yeah... Pretty much.

The Blues could have been looking at Kaino, Karpik, Ioane. I don't understand how it all panned out either.

The Chiefs look best on paper. How on earth they managed to add Bird and Nepo Laulala, plus pick up Karpik is beyond me. You've then gotta go with the unchanged Highlanders. The Hurricanes, we will have to see what Laumape and Ahki do, still got a lot of quality. The Crusaders, I feel that Blackadder cannot coach, I've got the same feeling with him as I did with Mark Hammett, and I was definitely right about that one. Blackadder has been blessed with a Crusaders side FULL to the brim of All Blacks and really not done a lot with them. Now that he's lost Richie, and his superstar number 10.. Well.. I think him leaving at the end of the season is a cop out. The Blues are bound to be a mixed bag this season, but I don't see them being worse than John Kirwan's Blues... They have a lot of the players that everyone wants to see how they develop. Tu'ungafasi, Tuipulotu, Akira Ioane, Luatua, Nock, Faiane, Rieko Ioane, Tevita Li, Ben Lam. Some talent there.

Latest posts