NZ earthquake / tsunami

Which Tyler

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Bath
Just heard about this, stay safe all, and don't hesitate to head for hills if necessary.

Yep to all Kiwi posters affected. Thoughts with you and families.

...middle of the night so everyone probably slept through it...except for those up searching for a 4 Nations stream,

...middle of the night so everyone probably slept through it...except for those up searching for a 4 Nations stream,

God's judgement on Rugby League fans? :p

More seriously, hope you're all okay

MY young fulla said he felt the house shake at around midnight...got up around 1,30 am none the wiser but we're in Auckland North Island and apparently the epicentre was in the middle of the South Island...tonight's 7.5 earthquake quite a good one all the same..
NZ experiences around 20,000 earthquakes a year according to stats i was reading...only about 250 are big enough to be felt though..

MY young fulla said he felt the house shake at around midnight...got up around 1,30 am none the wiser but we're in Auckland North Island and apparently the epicentre was in the middle of the South Island...tonight's 7.5 earthquake quite a good one all the same..
NZ experiences around 20,000 earthquakes a year according to stats i was reading...only about 250 are big enough to be felt though..

that's crazy. Keep safe NZ friends.

that's crazy. Keep safe NZ friends.

... that's just the nature of the beast where two tectonic plates collide..what;s crazy is the biggest city in NZ i.e Auckland is sitting on 50 volcanoes...great town planning that lol

...was also reading about the Supermoon tomorrow, it's the closest full moon to earth since 1948, also called a perigee... and apparently during a full moon there is a correlation with earthquakes due to the geological strain on faults due to tide stresses, gravitational pull etc

Last edited:
We had just gone to bed but was still awake when we felt the swaying motion; like someone gently pushing the bed back and forth. Then it stopped, and I had enough time to think "small tremor" before it started up again, this time really shaking. I got straight out of bed, it was difficult to stand up. The floor was swaying back and forth at a frequency of about 1 second (½ sec in each direction) and it went on for about a minute. It was very frightening, the house was creaking and rattling and a few books fell out of book shelves but no damage to the house.

When I got to work (in Richmond, about 10km from my home) I found a few things fallen off shelves, but pretty much no other damage

Got off lightly I think! Others no so lucky down the East Coast of the South Island; two deaths.

It was a beauty alright. WE have friends who have just moved out from England in the past two years. This their first big one. They fair poohed their pants. Ha Ha. They'll get used to it.
I stood in the kitchen drinking my tea as it began slowly and just got stronger and stronger over about one minute. Lost a few breakable things off shelves, but the TV was undamaged so I can still watch sport.
Usually, where we live, you get one quake and that's it, but this time the after-shocks went on and on through the night. Family couldn't get back to sleep. We got another little one this morning.

We live about 600km and felt it, woke me and my partner up, lasted about 1 minute.

Was definitely moving the doors and ****, but nothing fell off shelves, just lots of rattling.

My son woke up cause he could hear us talking but my daughter slept through it.

Uh.... Was probably the biggest quake I've been a part of. Biggest my parents have been in. So yeah, was a bit nervous for a second.. Just because it kept getting worse. There ended up being 25 or so from when the big one hit just after 12am, till around 1am. Around 10 of them severe.

Doesn't help my region with the newspaper being a bunch of fear-mongering idiots of late... Claiming someday our mountain might not be so dormant. Two articles in the last two weeks or so... So stupid. Would not have been nice at the epicenter, considering my house just swayed around, Wellington and closer would not have been pleasant.

It was a beauty alright. WE have friends who have just moved out from England in the past two years. This their first big one. They fair poohed their pants. Ha Ha. They'll get used to it.

Yup. Them fellas over the ditch on the West Island call us "The Shaky Isles", and it ain't just 'cos of the economy!

My thoughts are with all the NZ posters and their families! Stay safe.

Latest posts