• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NZ earthquake

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Jul 16 2009, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8151530.stm

Are we all OK? I notice that Invercargill is close to the epicentre.[/b]

My family and I had a hell of a shake up. I'm less than 200kms from the epicenter (in Invercargill city) and it was pretty significant here. It seemed to go on after the initial main 40 secs or so, for another 5 mins of smaller shaking. Then it came back again, almost as bad for a min or so of not so strong movement.

Was pretty scary, not far short of doing major damage. It appears that largely we got off with a lot of swaying.

The wife and our boarder Robin dashed for the doors and I ran past them to Kimberleys room and grabbed her out of bed. Then I went straight outside as we have a large open space in our backyard where nothing could fall on us. Poor wee thing only had her Sesame Street stretch and grow and a pillow at her back. The street lights were shaking and going on and off as they swayed.

glad you guys are ok... do you think the north island would have felt it?

we had a rare quake in melbourne earlier this year, and my wife went and stood under a door.... i stayed on the couch as i had no idea what the shaking was hahah. i guess those earthquake drills you have in NZ schools are pretty important.

Cheers guys. I'd hate anything to happen to any of our members around the world, and so far we've been blessed with that. It's a freaky thing alright. Had an aftershock about 45 mins ago, was minor for about 5-10 secs thankfully. :)

That sounds like a nasty one. Ive been in Japan about a year and have been through more than 30 earthquakes so far. They are different from NZ earthquakes and are always just a huge violent shudder that only last a couple of seconds. Enough to get you out of bed like rocket (this happened last night)

NZ ones, Ive had about 6 during my life in hawkes bay, are very scary. They seem to go on and on and when you finally think its over it starts up again. This one sounds like a bit of a beast. Hope everyone is ok.

yeah good to hear your ok Craig. Didnt feel it here in Wellington, but aparently some people did (i am sure they are lying)

My gf was listning ot the radio and said there was a tsunami warning or something for us. i didnt think anything of it as i was watching state of origin. No worries for us here. good to hear that there wasnt much damage.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (woosaah @ Jul 16 2009, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
yeah good to hear your ok Craig. Didnt feel it here in Wellington, but aparently some people did (i am sure they are lying)

My gf was listning ot the radio and said there was a tsunami warning or something for us. i didnt think anything of it as i was watching state of origin. No worries for us here. good to hear that there wasnt much damage.[/b]

Cheers, Woosaah. Were two more at lunchtime, both minor. The biggest shock is that something like that happened so powerfully and everything is still standing, so far. :)

Yeah, glad you're all ok, geez for a 7.8 magnitude quake at a depth of 12km there seems to have been bugger all damage, surprising considering how shallow it was.

Well something happened to me and my family...our sky remote fell off the kitchen counter and it broke a bit of plastic. I mean it's not a tragedy, but still...it hurts.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Jul 16 2009, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well something happened to me and my family...our sky remote fell off the kitchen counter and it broke a bit of plastic. I mean it's not a tragedy, but still...it hurts.[/b]

You needed to be closer to the epicenter to escape such tragedies in this case, lol. :p

Down here it was a bit like that scene from The Empire Strikes back where Han says, "This is no cave."

My flatmates felt it (live in Wellington). I didn't notice it. Crazy, I only just learned of it at 6pm tonight watching the news lol. 7.8 is huge though. Very lucky escape really.

We felt it here in Christchurch.
I recently had swine flu and thought that I was just shaky and that's why the World was wobbly. Apparently not.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CeeJay @ Jul 16 2009, 03:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That sounds like a nasty one. Ive been in Japan about a year and have been through more than 30 earthquakes so far. They are different from NZ earthquakes and are always just a huge violent shudder that only last a couple of seconds. Enough to get you out of bed like rocket (this happened last night)

NZ ones, Ive had about 6 during my life in hawkes bay, are very scary. They seem to go on and on and when you finally think its over it starts up again. This one sounds like a bit of a beast. Hope everyone is ok.[/b]

CeeJay, where are you living in Japan ? I've benn in Tokyo for almost a year and I 've only felt one once...

Pulled up alright in Dunedin, bit of a scare when the clothes dryer started rocking and rolling around.
The family got evacuated from a tsunami scare, I got the call at 12:02 in the morning. Stayed up and watched the State of Origin on telly, then got the all clear.

Apparently NZ is 100mm closer to Australia now :D

Apparently New Zealand has moved 30cm closer to Oz, now no one wants that to happen on either side of the Tasman, ;)

I didnt know NZ had earthquakes. We are lucky in UK we have nothing, apart from the occasional tornado.

Latest posts